Renix Running Hot

2 hours ago, AZJeff said:

Plain water boils at 212*   Put a working 16lb pressure cap on the cooling system, and it raises the boiling point to 252*   Add a 50/50 mix, and the boiling point is now 267*

antifreeze is less efficient moving heat than plain water

running pure antifreeze may help if you live in the artic but that s it

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Correct. Something is wrong and it has nothing to do with coolant concentration. 

It's pressure, circulation, or head gasket. 

64780153413__019FB1D0-5A30-4283-8E8A-D9F48396565D.jpg.a4c6a2e90c2d81f132c5213a6f47a3e7.jpg

IMG_5583.jpg.4ee341e0a8aa8221504ab52bf0b7299a.jpg

It's a little grimey inside my stat orifice but water coming out clean. Pump doesn't look awful either. Going to go ahead and replace the pump anyways since I have the part.

So I don't think the pump was the problem, so I now I'm thinking either head gasket leaking into the coolant passages, or possibly bad o2 sensor? Since I failed emissions with high CO I'm thinking maybe bad sensor causing me to run hot => high CO? I bought a kit to test the coolant for exhaust gasses as well, so will do that once I have everything back together.

39 minutes ago, Pete M said:

that should not be rusty inside.  :( 

So the picture doesn't do a whole lot of justice, it's not really rusty and more of a yellowish powerful substance that I'm guessing it's minerals deposited from water? It looks wayyyy better than some of the ones I've seen videos of, but any suggestions for cleaning her out really well? Maybe leave the stat out and fill it up with coolant cleaning stuff and water overnight?

13 hours ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Put some CLR in it and let it chooch. Kinda like THIS video.

Thanks! I flushed the block with oxalic acid yesterday and that seems to have gotten a lot of the build up. If I'm still hot after it's back together I'll try that route as well.

2 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

O2 sensor ain't gonna cause it to get hot. 

Use only Mopar thermostats. 83501426 AD.

Any reason to switch if the one I have is operating correctly? I'm going to look into a mopar temp sender as well

when it comes to thermostats: when in doubt, change it out. :D  on most cars they are cheap and easy to do.

although when it comes to the Liberty diesels, it's a super expensive part and not at all easy to get to. :( 

3 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

The stat? Yes!! Change it. 

Sorry, it's buried in the OP but I do have a brand new stat. I boiled the old and the new and they were both opening correctly but I put the new one in, all good!

IMG_5584.jpg.e3e7389b48aa279cc62f8452b4cc059f.jpg

Ok, new water pump wasn't the answer. Still up to 260 after just idling for a few minutes. I'm gonna pick up a new stat gasket as well as another new stat and retest them all this afternoon.

@cruiser54 for the exhaust gas test, do you know about how much driving I'd need to do for the test to actually pick up the gasses in the coolant?

14 minutes ago, CO MJ said:

IMG_5584.jpg.e3e7389b48aa279cc62f8452b4cc059f.jpg

Ok, new water pump wasn't the answer. Still up to 260 after just idling for a few minutes. I'm gonna pick up a new stat gasket as well as another new stat and retest them all this afternoon.

@cruiser54 for the exhaust gas test, do you know about how much driving I'd need to do for the test to actually pick up the gasses in the coolant?

Idling in the driveway.

16 minutes ago, Pete M said:

did you bleed the air pocket out of the temp sensor? 

Yeah, I have pulled the sender from the block every time I've refilled.

Here's another question while I have the stat out. How far should it actually open when boiled? I've never done this before, but from watching a few videos I feel like maybe my stat isn't opening far enough. The little cylinder inside the stat retracts maybe 4-5mm and I can see 1-2mm all the way around for water to flow, while most of the videos look more like 5-6mm or so, but I also don't see any videos with a similar style stat. My local place doesn't have the mopar stat but I have one on order, may just put this on hold until it arrives

Well I guess that's all she wrote. Looks like it's head gasket time. I suppose I should send the head off to be checked for cracks or just buy a refinished head?

Removing the stat did keep it cool but I guess this needs to be addressed

352EA798-E18C-4CDD-86A7-C7530595ACCA.jpeg

20 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

you didnt notice the bubles coming out the radiator? even with out a test yo could just watch for bubbles in the radiator cap

It must be a very small leak, there are almost no bubbles and what there was I assumed was just burping