1986 AMC Eagle

On 2/2/2022 at 8:19 PM, 89 MJ said:

The issue is finding the Eagle specific clutch pedal and related pieces, but it is possible.

That eagle I found may have been a stick. I know I found a spirit that was a stick. If have to go back and look. I didn't take photos of the eagle.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, The86manche said:

That eagle I found may have been a stick. I know I found a spirit that was a stick. If have to go back and look. I didn't take photos of the eagle.

I don’t need the pieces, but those are both good finds. 

7 hours ago, lippetd said:

If I did not have a Comanche for the last 12 years, I would have searched for an eagle wagon.  At the time I got the truck, it was much easier to find than an eagle. I wish I could have both!

When I sold this car when I had it a few years ago, it was to get my Comanche. I can confirm that it is pretty darn awesome having them both. 

It's getting warmer up here in WI! That means that the MJ will be able to come out of storage soon, I will make some changes to that (see that build thread for what is going on there), then hopefully by mid-late April, I will be able to start giving this car the attention it deserves. Really, this car will need a considerable amount of work, but hopefully I'll be able to get it all done quickly.

I have a new D30 for it, I just want to find an XJ D44 rear and gear them both to 3.55

I need to fix the seat springs and do some upholstery work on the driver's seat

Put headliner in it

Fix some minor rust on the frame rails (it sounds more major than it really is)

Fix some dings and prior bodywork that has been done many years ago, before the PO that I got it from the first time

And paint it

It sounds like a lot of work, but most of it should happen pretty quickly. 

• 1 month later...

The rear end started making noise. It sounds like the right rear wheel bearing. I’m also experiencing an odd noise from the front end, so it’s time for gearing upgrades. I’m going with 3.55s and I’ll be running an 8.25 out back. I was hoping to find a D44, but the 8.25s are more plentiful for cheaper. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Everything for the regear is here, now I just need to find a 3.55 D44 or Chrysler 8.25 out of an XJ. It’s harder than I thought, but I have a few leads. 

I have one under my Xj currently. 

• 1 month later...

I leave for the Kenosha AMC Homecoming show tomorrow. Do I have this car ready? Of course not. But it’s getting close. It just has a couple of noises I want figured out and then I have to wash it. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just because this old rig is tucked away, doesn't mean its not on my mind. I knew my lower ball joints are getting old. Still in fine shape, but getting old. Only Rare Parts reproduces them and they rarely have them in stock. I just got word that they had a couple pairs in stock, so I ordered a pair. It's odd that the uppers are reproduced, but the lowers aren't. I wonder if the uppers are used on different vehicles too...

• 3 weeks later...

Huh, I updated that I put the Eagle away, but I never said what I did before the Eagle went away. I got a new driver seat and some other interior trim pieces in the correct color that are much nicer than mine.

• 1 month later...

I've been doing some research on these cars more lately. This is a very strangely optioned Eagle. It is a base model car, so it has crank windows, manual locks, manual cloth seats. The strange part is the number of options that the car has that I haven't seen on a lot of higher trim cars. Some of these options include cruise control, or the 2.73 gears (standard was 2.35 :crazy:), the rear cargo cover, AC, tilt column, and, most unusual, the rear wiper. I don't think that I've seen another rear wiper car in person ever. But right now, I am thinking about giving this thing a mild build so it will be good to come to school with me next year.

• 5 months later...

Matchbox Eagles! This is a car that they made for the 70th anniversary this year. One is going to stay in the package for sure, one is going to get opened and painted to match my car, and I'm unsure what the plan with the third one is.

70163726787__E0212478-686B-4D24-8BC5-15B924873DF4.jpg.2d265ec6a27b2ef037e13e33a576c454.jpg

11 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Nice! Maybe they’ll eventually make an MJ.

That would be really cool! Hotwheels is making an XJ right now, maybe a Comanche is in their future. We can hope at least.

• 2 months later...

The Eagle has been earning its keep lately! A very close family friend of ours passed away, so I have been helping his widow clean up their land. The car is hauling a sauna here.

IMG_4480.jpg.fdeeab4a29b86f31983da5a5a5c230db.jpg

And with all the hard work its put in, it needs to be treated. A new seat and radio panel along with a correct radio have been installed. The old seat had many broken springs, so this is much better. It also got a set of Hella headlights, like I have in my MJ. They aren't cheap, but they are absolutely worth the money in my opinion.

IMG_4252.jpg.8e005a153f53d9527c4580f8286d66af.jpgIMG_4254.jpg.23da544fea96722fe569728d13ddb8bd.jpg

This week I will be calling a local junkyard about a Dana 44 from an XJ and ordering a new valve cover gasket.

11 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Is there supposed to be three seat belt buckles up front?

Yes! Its weird, but some Eagles were a 6 passenger, despite having wide front bucket seats. I just need to find a male end for the other side though. Mine was not originally a 6 passenger car, but I needed to replace the buckle and I found this one, so I got it.