87 Chief ? , 4x4, Agawam, MA - $5,500

There's another one of those full guage clusters with the styling of the idiot light clusters.  Was that an option or are people just swapping the faces from later clusters or something?  I mostly see the red clusters.

21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I think it's super early 87s that have that? 

19 minutes ago, scaleless said:

That would make sense.  I've never seen one actually on a truck other than this one, only ones from part-outs.

Yup! 87 only. Highly sought after. 

Well, the decals are all wrong for a chief, but the black interior looks about right. From what I've gathered in person, the chief door panels (both MJ and XJ) had another stitch around the interior door panel release that made the panels truly Chief unique. I've pulled 3-4 black Chief door panels off XJ's; and 2 off MJ's -- and they all had this extra stitch. When I have a moment I'll snap a pic of what I'm talking about. Point is, this trucks door panels don't have this -- so either an interior paint of/ for power window/ door lock panels or not a true Chief.

EDIT -- here's the pic. '87 Chief door panels power window/ door lock black in color. My vote is his panels are newer XJ for the power window/ locks. 

IMG_6160.jpg

17 hours ago, scaleless said:

There's another one of those full guage clusters with the styling of the idiot light clusters.  Was that an option or are people just swapping the faces from later clusters or something?  I mostly see the red clusters.

they are existent, i was about to swap one into mine but the gas gauge didn't work on it so i had to go with the re cluster. i think mine came out of my dads old 87 xj

2B75095D-D8EE-475A-84F2-521F8D018300.jpeg

A93D29FD-3E50-4F21-8B24-2071F70F9297.jpeg

2 minutes ago, jpnjake said:

they are existent, i was about to swap one into mine but the gas gauge didn't work on it so i had to go with the re cluster. i think mine came out of my dads old 87 xj

Do you still have it?  I'll buy it off you, if you do.

7 minutes ago, scaleless said:

Do you still have it?  I'll buy it off you, if you do.

Yes we do, but as of now I’m still very interested in trying to fix the 87 pack as I like the look better, but if I ever decide against it, I’ll dm you 

Just now, jpnjake said:

Yes we do, but as of now I’m still very interested in trying to fix the 87 pack as I like the look better, but if I ever decide against it, I’ll dm you 

You should be able to swap the guage face onto a working fuel guage from the red cluster.  I imagine if you take the needle off and the two screws holding it on, it would pop right off, then just swap the guage into the blue cluster.

Just now, scaleless said:

You should be able to swap the guage face onto a working fuel guage from the red cluster.  I imagine if you take the needle off and the two screws holding it on, it would pop right off, then just swap the guage into the blue cluster.

Thanks, I’ll probably end up trying that once I get around to it. :D