16 gallon vs 23 gallon

I would like to just do a PSA since I couldnt find the internal difference anywhere via pics or word so I took it into my own hands to figure it out and I am glad I did lol.

16:

IMG_8482.jpg.3e772cc038c904e4c50780897f1a2c36.jpg

23.5:

IMG_8485.jpg.eefc6d6f97231e38c310762d46c323f1.jpg

don't worry, I plan to clean it out before use. BUT! Note the shorter vent pipe. And only reason why I did this as the tank I bought a while back from a member in CA didnt have the tank ID plate on it so I had to find out and verify. 

External differences

23/16 tank:

IMG_8487.jpg.b4fd76a340a4accfa8f2466188b8f397.jpg

Dims: (from lip to lip) 37"L 17 1/2"W ~15H

18 tank:

IMG_8121.jpg.7794e9bd53439aef81537b90bfd87b53.jpg

Dims: ?

16 and 23 side by side

18C54971-22D7-465A-9872-8296F7565285.jpeg.f975ca767d3fc4b2438b132074d3cfa2.jpeg

The 16 gallon is definitely longer than the 18 gallon tank. But the 23 and 16 gallon are one in the same tank only with the fuel "baffle" being different to let less or more fuel in.

Once the light returns tomorrow morn I will edit the main post with the pic of the 23 gallon.

@Torq_Shep, not sure if you installed the tank yet but would you mind providing us the dimensions of this lovely tank I sold ya?

If Eaglescout is willing to write one up, I'd like to recommend a sticky on this subject of fuel tank dimensions and FSU's for the 3 different sizes with accompanying pictures. Even though new tanks and now FSU's are available, this info IMO is one of the most common subjects that I've seen in the 10+yrs I've been on this site. 

Interesting. My build sheet said mine came with the 23gallon tank, but it always seemed like I was forcing fuel into it to fill it all the way. Makes me wonder if it didn’t have a 16gal swapped in at some point. It was confusing to me given how hard it should be to plug up such a big vent tube.

Unfortunately I can’t really investigate this because that tank was swapped out a few years ago after an incident with a deer, and the shop that did it tossed the old tank. I also haven’t been to a gas station with it yet due to it being mostly parked awaiting rust repairs to pass an inspection after an interprovincial move so I don’t know if anything changed.

9 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

Interesting. My build sheet said mine came with the 23gallon tank, but it always seemed like I was forcing fuel into it to fill it all the way. Makes me wonder if it didn’t have a 16gal swapped in at some point. It was confusing to me given how hard it should be to plug up such a big vent tube.

Unfortunately I can’t really investigate this because that tank was swapped out a few years ago after an incident with a deer, and the shop that did it tossed the old tank. I also haven’t been to a gas station with it yet due to it being mostly parked awaiting rust repairs to pass an inspection after an interprovincial move so I don’t know if anything changed.

the build sheets are not infallible, especially the tank size (a LOT of them say 20 gal for some reason, which was never offered in an MJ :sad2:)

56 minutes ago, Pete M said:

the build sheets are not infallible, especially the tank size (a LOT of them say 20 gal for some reason, which was never offered in an MJ :sad2:)

All I know is I once managed to put 25 gallons into it. 95 litres per the pump.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

27 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

All I know is I once managed to put 25 gallons into it. 95 litres per the pump.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

it is very likely that the tank itself holds more than 23 gallons. :L:   in theory the shutoff triggers before it is completely full, but if something has gone wrong, it might not stop on time.

15 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

The 16 gallon is definitely longer than the 18 gallon tank. But the 23 and 16 gallon are one in the same tank only with the fuel "baffle" being different to let less or more fuel in.

Once the light returns tomorrow morn I will edit this post with the pic of the 23 gallon.

@Torq_Shep, not sure if you installed the tank yet but would you mind providing us the dimensions of this lovely tank I sold ya?

here's the 18:

IMG_8121.jpg.f9781e02c8d8e2d65a242fb445ddad6c.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg.32da22e29b1d8f2afacfaa4c5a7c3a4d.jpg 

Will do. If I havent gotten it by tonight PM me and I will get dimensions tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

ran out and peeked into what I think is an 18 gal and I don't really see any way to add capacity. :( 

Yeah I was looking up a video of the inside of my tank that I took when I cleaned it out and don’t see anything that would open up capacity. All well, the 18g tank works for me, always nice to not have to fill up as often especially at $4.75/gal