16 gallon vs 23 gallon

I can’t believe the timing of this thread!

I’ve been researching extending the range in my Mercedes diesel swapped LWB with the 16 gal tank. I may have to put some thought into how to trim that tube.

I am guessing the only difference between the 16 and 23.5 gal sending units is the length of the float... I don’t suppose anyone has a 16 and 23.5 gal sending unit to compare?

Just now, dzlmnche said:

I can’t believe the timing of this thread!

I’ve been researching extending the range in my Mercedes diesel swapped LWB with the 16 gal tank. I may have to put some thought into how to trim that tube.

I am guessing the only difference between the 16 and 23.5 gal sending units is the length of the float... I don’t suppose anyone has a 16 and 23.5 gal sending unit to compare?

Lol I also did the research for that too:

Sending unit identification - MJ Tech: Modification and Repairs - Comanche Club Forums

Where is that plate ID you mentioned located on the tank? I was actually just looking at my 86 to see if it was a 16 or 23.5, since my sending unit is wonky.

Good to know the 86 filler is also a different shape too. Excellent research on both the tank and send units!

8 minutes ago, Rad_Comanche said:

Where is that plate ID you mentioned located on the tank?

Looking at the tank head on. Mine is to the left of the sending unit:

IMG_8496.jpg.72cad15e1a00cf9765863a987da1c52b.jpg

My ID tag:

IMG_8497.jpg.f9eef7e06d4d9528e155c4bc2474a847.jpg

Mine is correct and is the original tank. My MJ was built  11/15/87. Tank was built 11/10/87 with denotes of being 16

here's the 18 gallon one I snapped a pic of before I sold it:

IMG_8126.jpg.3355fcbe58ac972ef17cb59e542a2a26.jpg

This one was made 12/03/86 which makes this tank from an early SWB 87.

so one would just need the different sending unit and tocut off that vent tube to gain a ton of gas capability?  or skip the sending unit and just have a "full" tank for a long time before it started registering on the gauge.  this seems too easy...  :peep:

Remember, its AMC. Why make two different tanks when all ya gotta do is add a longer vent tube to lessen the amount of gas that goes in.

But that being said, youd have to let the tank sit for a while before you start modifying the vent tube. Just with sparks and fumes and all that. But yeah I think it is that easy especially since the 18 and 23 share the same sending unit. I really need to get all this info in one thread lol.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Looking at the tank head on. Mine is to the left of the sending unit:

IMG_8496.jpg.72cad15e1a00cf9765863a987da1c52b.jpg

My ID tag:

IMG_8497.jpg.f9eef7e06d4d9528e155c4bc2474a847.jpg

Mine is correct and is the original tank. My MJ was built  11/15/87. Tank was built 11/10/87 with denotes of being 16

here's the 18 gallon one I snapped a pic of before I sold it:

IMG_8126.jpg.3355fcbe58ac972ef17cb59e542a2a26.jpg

This one was made 12/03/86 which makes this tank from an early SWB 87.

That answers that question! It is backwards and upside down, but this confirms I have a 16 gallon tank, original to my truck at that.

LFVpM1x.jpg

Following for possible modifications for that vent tube... :brows:

18 minutes ago, Pete M said:

wait, how can they share the same sending unit if "full" is different for each?

Well if you think about it they have different amounts they take but in reality it just depends on the float arm length. The catalog shows the 18 and 23 to be the same part number which I’ll have to get a pic of. Like the 16 has a shorter float arm which means it will get to “full” faster. But the longer arm for the FSU means the float will get to the top and read the same regardless of the tank it’s really in. 

23 minutes ago, Rad_Comanche said:

That answers that question! It is backwards and upside down, but this confirms I have a 16 gallon tank, original to my truck at that.

Mine was upside down. I just spun the pic to show what it says. 

12 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

But that being said, youd have to let the tank sit for a while before you start modifying the vent tube. Just with sparks and fumes and all that.

Use some heat-resistant hose and run another vehicle’s exhaust into it for a half-hour or so. That or purge with CO2 if you’ve got some handy.

3 minutes ago, JustEmptyEveryPocket said:

Could you get a tubing cutter in there? No sparks and they are fairly compact.

Also, seems like the float arm would be easy to modify if you knew what length was needed. Cut it and use electric pixies to melt in extra length.

See I thought about that and I’m a skinny guy but my arm gets all the way to my forearm and I can barely touch the filler tube. You could get to that tube with those cutters probably with no problem

I went and measured this the other day for a fellow. The 16 gallon float arm from float to first bend is ~2 3/4” of an inch. Mean while the 23 and 18 is 5 1/2” from float to first bend.