Mechanical Fan Shroud

My 87 I6 Renix does not have a fan shroud on the mechanical fan right behind the radiator. I've seen some talk of how these are important - if nothing else it would make me less nervous fiddling for the hood latch with the engine running. 

https://thejeephut.com/fan-shroud-for-1987-2001-jeep-xj-cherokee-mj-comanche-w-lhd-w-4-0l-engine/

Is that the shroud that goes around the mechanical fan? otherwise it looks very similar to the shroud on the aux fan. Does anyone have a factory fan shroud and maybe a picture? 

I have found that, for whatever reason, the fanshroud with the OEM dimensions always has a HELL of a time getting past the space between my radiator and my mech. fan clutch if I have to remove it for any reason.   (Maybe it's because I have an all-metal 3-row radiator.)

In any case, I have broken THREE of those damnned things trying to remove them after installation without removing the top radiator core support bracket, which is a PITA unto itself to take out.

I finally bought my last replacement, and before installing it, did some judicious trimming on the bottom edge of the shroud with a Dremel tool before installing it into the vehicle.   I can now install/remove the goofy thing without breaking it in the process.

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but it's a tip to share....

16 hours ago, AZJeff said:

I have found that, for whatever reason, the fanshroud with the OEM dimensions always has a HELL of a time getting past the space between my radiator and my mech. fan clutch if I have to remove it for any reason.   (Maybe it's because I have an all-metal 3-row radiator.)

In any case, I have broken THREE of those damnned things trying to remove them after installation without removing the top radiator core support bracket, which is a PITA unto itself to take out.

I finally bought my last replacement, and before installing it, did some judicious trimming on the bottom edge of the shroud with a Dremel tool before installing it into the vehicle.   I can now install/remove the goofy thing without breaking it in the process.

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue, but it's a tip to share....

i had that issue. snapped right in 2. i found that on a windy day if you throw it with the wind, they fly quite well, all the way to the back of the yard, over the fence and into the woods.

1 hour ago, 54bobby said:

i had that issue. snapped right in 2. i found that on a windy day if you throw it with the wind, they fly quite well, all the way to the back of the yard, over the fence and into the woods.

Yeah, I can see that.  But...you still need a shroud, especially if you live in a hot climate, as it makes the fan SO much more effective.  

Unless you make some mods to the OEM shroud, you will get a chance to do it all over again the next time you take the shroud out.:(

On 2/24/2021 at 3:29 PM, AZJeff said:

Yeah, I can see that.  But...you still need a shroud, especially if you live in a hot climate, as it makes the fan SO much more effective.  

Unless you make some mods to the OEM shroud, you will get a chance to do it all over again the next time you take the shroud out.:(

where did you make your cuts and i wonder if they'll be the same for my 2.5