Cherokee/ Liberty Wheels

I posted in my build thread, but I haven't seen many comments. I got a set of 16x7 Icons from what I was told was a 2000 Cherokee. I was looking for the liberty renegade dark colored wheels, but I had 2 Craigslist sets sold before I could get there, so I figured buy what I could and deal with the color later. I ended up needing to drive my truck, so I went to get a set of tires to replace the dry-rotted 225/75R15 Michelins on it. When the tire shop test fit the wheels, the center bore wouldn't fit on my OEM axles.

Is there a difference between the late Cherokee/Liberty/early Dana 30/35 hub?

I test fit the wheels on the axles I intend to use, they fit on my 4.10 Liberty 8.25, but not on my 4.10 CAD Dana 30. Can I use a KJ unit bearing? I like the wheels, and I believe they will allow me to do a tie rod flip eventually.

Any thoughts?

I don't believe any XJ ever came with 16" wheels.  Those may be from a ZJ?  I do know early years Liberty wheels and C8.25 are the same bolt pattern as the XJ/MJ axles.  What year is your Libby axle and wheels from?  I'd recommend measuring everything to see what the bolt patterns are so we know the exact patterns you are dealing with.

You could run wheel adapters if you need to change the bolt pattern but it would push the wheels out.

I have a set on a 2000 XJ. I didn't notice any issues. I needed them for the WJ Big Brakes. On the rear I am running a Ford 8.8. I put on a 1" spacer and extended studs. The spacer was made from one of the standard hub centric spacers. Just popped out the studs and used one set of holes. 

They are 16x7, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. They fit over the wheel studs, but don't seat all the way on the wheel mounting surface on my Comanche or on my XJ Dana 30. The rear axle is is from a 2003 4 cylinder disc brake Liberty. The wheels DO mount up correctly on the Liberty axle. The front axle is from an early 4 cylinder XJ.

9 minutes ago, 75sv1 said:

I have a set on a 2000 XJ. I didn't notice any issues. I needed them for the WJ Big Brakes. On the rear I am running a Ford 8.8. I put on a 1" spacer and extended studs. The spacer was made from one of the standard hub centric spacers. Just popped out the studs and used one set of holes. 

Are yours the XJ version, or the Liberty version? My digital caliper died, so I can't check centerbores on the wheels. I am going to bet the wheels I have are smaller than standard Comanche/Cherokee wheels.

15 hours ago, BeatCJ said:

Are yours the XJ version, or the Liberty version? My digital caliper died, so I can't check centerbores on the wheels. I am going to bet the wheels I have are smaller than standard Comanche/Cherokee wheels.

I bought them at a JY. They were listed as for a 2000 XJ. I do not know if there is a difference. 

So, after Extensive use of my GoogleFu, it looks like the 2002 to 2004 Liberty that these wheels were available on used a 67 mm centerbore, as opposed to the Comanche 71.5 mm centerbore. Seems almost AMC like in practice. FWIW, it also appears design offset was different than what the wheels are, so I have that going for me. 4 mm isn't much, and I bet I could accept reaming that out. They would probably work fine stud piloted...

55 minutes ago, BeatCJ said:

So, after Extensive use of my GoogleFu, it looks like the 2002 to 2004 Liberty that these wheels were available on used a 67 mm centerbore, as opposed to the Comanche 71.5 mm centerbore. Seems almost AMC like in practice. FWIW, it also appears design offset was different than what the wheels are, so I have that going for me. 4 mm isn't much, and I bet I could accept reaming that out. They would probably work fine stud piloted...

are you talking about reaming out the shoulder that supports the wheel? or something else?  pic?

The centerbore of the wheel, is my thought. I can get a pic tonight, can't get away from the office today.

Since the wheels fit on my rear axle, I wonder if a Liberty unit bearing would work on the D30? Is the 2002 to 2004 Libby IFS? Still, that part COULD interchange with a solid axle.

I just did some searching on Rockauto.  Of the front bearing hubs that listed specs, they all listed a wheel pilot diameter of 71.4mm (or 2.81"). This was looking at a 2003 4cyl. This was for both with or without antilock brakes.  Where did you get the 67mm wheel pilot info?

On 1/13/2021 at 9:41 AM, Dzimm said:

I don't believe any XJ ever came with 16" wheels.  Those may be from a ZJ?  I do know early years Liberty wheels and C8.25 are the same bolt pattern as the XJ/MJ axles.  What year is your Libby axle and wheels from?  I'd recommend measuring everything to see what the bolt patterns are so we know the exact patterns you are dealing with.

You could run wheel adapters if you need to change the bolt pattern but it would push the wheels out.

2000 and 2001 XJ Classic. My wife's XJ has 16" wheels. Same wheels that were used on the Libby.

4 hours ago, schardein said:

I just did some searching on Rockauto.  Of the front bearing hubs that listed specs, they all listed a wheel pilot diameter of 71.4mm (or 2.81"). This was looking at a 2003 4cyl. This was for both with or without antilock brakes.  Where did you get the 67mm wheel pilot info?

Searching the used wheel sites.

So, if that is accurate, then I wonder what is happening? Curiouser and Curiouser.

I bet this is my problem:

Saw this in the Popular Posts column in @SatiricalHen's build

Thanks in advance @HOrnbrod, R.I.P.

I have done some measuring. There is a small raised ridge in the centerbore of the wheel, about 71.3 mm. It could be that. I would bet it's the fingers from the dust cap, though. I'll have to look some more at one of my loose 5 Star wheels, and measure that.

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally figured it out. The Icon 16 wheels are cast quite a bit differently than the original equipment cast wheels. But the real difference is between 2 and 4 wheel drive spindles. They do fit, without the center cap. Center caps fit on Dana 30s, though.

20210206_110702.jpg