Corvair hood louvres

Jesse J

I don't know how many of you watch matts offroad recovery but he has a yellow xj down in hurricane ( in utahn thats pronounced hurkan :dunce:) and in a walkaround vide he mentioned he had corvair louvres on his xj he didn't say from what year. I would like to find a pair because I think they look baddass. can anyone help me out?

Matt's Off Road Recovery YouTube Channel Analytics and Report - Powered by  NoxInfluencer Mobile

it's a junkyard search engine.  not every junkyard uses it, but a lot do.  keep in mind that it organizes things by part number and those can change over time even though the part is still swap-able (Jeep axles for example). sometimes ya gotta search for various years of Cherokee.  oh, and I've had luck looking for larger parts, and then calling the yard to ask about smaller ones they may not bother to list.

Ask around if there any old school auto wrecking yards near you.

Try asking at garages that work on older vehicles and at older auto part stores, ones that have been around for a long time. They’ll know where to find them. 

Also don’t tell them that you are specifically looking for a hood just to cut out the louvers. Just ask about 60-64 Corvair in general.  

20 minutes ago, Sir Sam said:

Don’t go hack up another rare old vehicle when you can buy new pressing louvers

Why not? Rare doesn't mean valuable, so if he could get them out of a Corvair cheaper than he could buy them, I say go for it. Corvairs aren't really worth much and, if the car is already in the scrapyard, its better someone uses the parts than they get crushed. Using your logic, nobody should 97+ swap their MJ because MJs are rare and 97+ XJs are getting rarer.

48 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

Why not? Rare doesn't mean valuable, so if he could get them out of a Corvair cheaper than he could buy them, I say go for it. Corvairs aren't really worth much and, if the car is already in the scrapyard, its better someone uses the parts than they get crushed. Using your logic, nobody should 97+ swap their MJ because MJs are rare and 97+ XJs are getting rarer.

plus I really like the look of the corvair ones

For louvers like that, you can have them punched into your hood, pretty simple sheet metal work with an iron worker with a deep enough throat. Run you about $1.00 a punch.

You would have to remove any structure behind them, then replace it after they were punched. That would probably be the hardest part of the whole project.

On 1/6/2021 at 9:43 AM, Jesse J said:

I don't know how many of you watch matts offroad recovery but he has a yellow xj down in hurricane ( in utahn thats pronounced hurkan :dunce:) and in a walkaround vide he mentioned he had corvair louvres on his xj he didn't say from what year. I would like to find a pair because I think they look baddass. can anyone help me out?

Matt's Off Road Recovery YouTube Channel Analytics and Report - Powered by  NoxInfluencer Mobile

Yes Matt has some interesting content.  They are kind of Corvair aficionados.  They have tons of Corvair parts and full Corvairs in their yard.  Some videos show this better than others.  They are currently building a Corvair to be a replacement for the yellow XJ. 

Sifting through the Corvair build videos may lead to some answers on your question.  I feel like I've even heard him mention the hood louvers in one of the XJ modification videos.  IIRC it was one where they were putting a bigger trackbar in or something with the front end.

17 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

Yes Matt has some interesting content.  They are kind of Corvair aficionados.  They have tons of Corvair parts and full Corvairs in their yard.  Some videos show this better than others.  They are currently building a Corvair to be a replacement for the yellow XJ. 

Sifting through the Corvair build videos may lead to some answers on your question.  I feel like I've even heard him mention the hood louvers in one of the XJ modification videos.  IIRC it was one where they were putting a bigger trackbar in or something with the front end.

they arent building the reco corvair as a replacement but as a "1 ton" vehicle if you think of the xj has a half ton. sometimes they just need more oomf on some recoverys. I am not a corvair expert but the one with the louvers is the single cab? kinda with a truck but this one has cargo space in the back and can fit four people. I dmed them on ig but thats a long shot