2.8 crd in a MJ

If my dad's CRD ever gets totalled... :brows:

I keep checking the junkyards......

Thought I had a Nissan diesel. But I'm thinking that beer can sized hole in the block would have caused a problem or two....

I have been thinking about replacing the 2.5L when she blows with a MB 3.0L 5 cylinder turbo diesel. I was thinking I would end up using the tranny from the MB as well since my MJ is 2wd. I think this swap has been done before, but I haven't found any links. Of course, my MJ has ~235000 miles and shows no sign of quitting anytime soon. I will have to patient.

Joe :nuts:

I have been thinking about replacing the 2.5L when she blows with a MB 3.0L 5 cylinder turbo diesel. I was thinking I would end up using the tranny from the MB as well since my MJ is 2wd. I think this swap has been done before, but I haven't found any links. Of course, my MJ has ~235000 miles and shows no sign of quitting anytime soon. I will have to patient.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=57574

There was a guy on the Yahoo Comanche site who did it. it turned out really well. But IIRC he lost it in Hurrican Katrina.

There was a guy on the Yahoo Comanche site who did it. it turned out really well. But IIRC he lost it in Hurrican Katrina.

It's the link I posted on NAXJA. Heard the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

That one had some issues that needed dealing with or he could've driven it away before the storm. Do NOT try to put rack and pinion on a 4x4 with solid front axle!

My buddy Diesel John suggested a different oilpan that would allow the motor to bolt in without the steering clearance issues that one had as well.

I took a look at the post. Why did he change the steering? Was it due to the MB engine and tranny? Did it have to do with the 4WD?

I would be looking to do this (not anytime soon), but keep my MJ 2WD. But if the steering had to be re-worked, it may not be worth the work.