Clutch, pilot bearing, rear main seal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. 89 1/2 or newer or if a PO swapped an AX15 in place of a BA10.

What is your current trans, BTW?  Not sure? The BA10 splits in half from front to back, so the case open lengthwise.  AX15 splits in circumference around the case.

• 2 months later...

You would use one or the other. The early crankshaft has a smaller bore than the later.model. Do I see a needle bearing the same size as the oilite (gold) bushing? If it is, and it fits both the transmission input shaft and the crankshaft bore, a bearing is a superior setup to a bushing.

• rylee144 changed the title to Clutch, flywheel and pilot bearing

I pulled the pilot bearing it was smaller than the one that's needed now. The two on the left came out. 

The one on the right is the one that came with the clutch kit. It fits the shaft on the ax15. It's wobbly in the pilot hole. The gold ring also fits the shaft on the trans but not in the hole on the motor. 

I'd like guidance if I could get it. Thanks. 

20210218_123156.jpg

20210218_123037.jpg

• rylee144 changed the title to Clutch, pilot bearing, rear main seal

The scoring on the journal doesn’t look bad but it’s always very hard to tell from pictures. Not to much work to pull the crank though at this point. Definitely recommend replacing the rear main anytime your that far into the engine and it has more than 100k or so on it. 

19 minutes ago, rylee144 said:

The rear main seal should be here anyday now. Then i need to figure out the pilot bearing situation then I can re assemble!!!!! Getting excited. Still lots to do. 

Sweet! The pilot bearing you need should be an off the shelf item at the auto parts store. 

Really tight where? It IS supposed to be pretty tight in the crankshaft, but should rotate easily on the input shaft.

FYI, if you end up using the bronze/oilite bushing, that does NOT get greased. It is supposed to be soaked in motor oil, and off the top of my head, it's recommended that the oil is warmed to about 130 degrees.