What else you do besides fix Jeeps?

tugboat95

I'm at work on a Sunday morning doing absolutely nothing bored out of my mind. In my job, boredom is a good thing. Anyway what do you do for fun other than Jeeps?

First and foremost is my family and travel. My son and I are both certified Advance Open Water Scuba divers. That got us into camping as we traveled the southeast on diving trips. And RVs are a lot cheaper than hotel rooms. Camping kind of morphed into Road trips. We have been all over the country in the last years. My job as a Chief Engineer on an offshore tug allows me the time. I work for 3 weeks then I have 3 weeks off. When I'm home I live in a small community. I had to take firefighting training for my job many years ago. I discovered I not only liked it, but I loved it. So I promptly joined my Local fire dept as a volunteer. Been doing it for 23 years now. There is no drug that can get you higher than knocking down a door and facing the devil. Only thing better is saving someone from that fate (3 times including one child). This is tempered with how many I didn't save (including multiple kids). The Brotherhood is real and if you've never put your life in your buddy's hands you'll never understand it. Wife is not left out she just doesn't like Long trips and doesn't go. But I did get her to Hawaii last February for our 25th wedding anniversary.

I included some pics of what I do. The fire pics are controlled training burns. The one with the black helmet on the window is me. Scuba diving in the Hot Springs of Florida. Elk on the Olympic Pennisula of Washington. Glacier National Park and Devil's Tower, Wyoming. I rebuilt that Suburban. Everything inside that sheet metal was new Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side of Panama canal. A beautiful day at sea in the Caribbean. Last few are Moab Utah area. Already planning a trip back there. Last two are Honolulu and Maui.9952a37d2187ae8ac6f500ad76120130.jpg5dd2a2f880e714239f66a0970515cfe6.jpg15908fe1220e9e72d24a44c3ffa773ce.jpgd3b8bf24e6ae1836bba10984a50042d3.jpg98abafbf58fdbff389bde060db4fd11e.jpg4dbc683c4e78bcbc8ee9eac18d9c5352.jpg856a8e94cad3fd5afa35e772125ad0b2.jpgebaed7ca328076cc2baa7f24f0f776d5.jpg59083b9fa235edffe1a9420dab9b06cf.jpg23aa4fe7c5bfa18a8ca6fbf8679bf2e2.jpg3dc1e3c1df6a0fb187e4443638c5b0fc.jpg07cf0ac5fba36aa3577fa74941a27cc4.jpgca5d936e5976dfb24b212cea9ba367a8.jpg206f3c9798fbf569250381af852cb8f5.jpgc2b733650bfc41fe7845e4f60d265a24.jpg070e2f4bd99fd102be669aca8ba34c6e.jpg

89 Comanche

Eliminator

2wd

4.0L

5 speed PukeGoat

Factory Original

I did the VFD for 20+ years back when we lived in PA. Even made it to Deputy Chief in one department. Everything down here in VA is career (which I almost became back in '99).   Now I just work, shoot and work on my yard, lol.  Wife and I just got back home from a 700 mile roadtrip to attend one of my best buddy's wedding reception.  Next month were heading back to Florida again to spend a week with my other best buddy and his wife.

I did the VFD for 20+ years back when we lived in PA. Even made it to Deputy Chief in one department. Everything down here in VA is career (which I almost became back in '99).   Now I just work, shoot and work on my yard, lol.  Wife and I just got back home from a 700 mile roadtrip to attend one of my best buddy's wedding reception.  Next month were heading back to Florida again to spend a week with my other best buddy and his wife.
I almost went career in 2004. Dept I was with then hired 16 people with a Safir grant. We were a combo dept. I would have taken an 11 thousand dollar a year pay cut and had to get a second job like most of the career guys around here do. I like to goof off too much on my time off. We moved a few years later outside of town and I joined another dept. First dept is now 100% career. I was the last volunteer Lieutenant for that dept which happens to be the oldest in NC, formed in1845. 2 of the trucks I specced out are still operating there as a front line engine and one ladder truck. I still roll into New Bern occassionally as mutual aid.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Besides fixing Jeeps?

I like to drive them.  Especially off road. :beerchug:

I don't have a lot of pictures handy but I do have a handful of videos on YouTube.

For work I make computers go.  Right now I'm working on flight computers for satellites.

Besides fixing Jeeps?

I like to drive them.  Especially off road. :beerchug:

I don't have a lot of pictures handy but I do have a handful of videos on YouTube.

For work I make computers go.  Right now I'm working on flight computers for satellites.
Cool vid. I really enjoyed my time in Utah last year. I think I could into that style off-road real easily.
Y'all hiring any computer science grads?? My son graduates college in December. Boy needs a job cause I'm tapped out.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

52 minutes ago, tugboat95 said:

Cool vid. I really enjoyed my time in Utah last year. I think I could into that style off-road real easily.
Y'all hiring any computer science grads?? My son graduates college in December. Boy needs a job cause I'm tapped out.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Always hiring computer science/engineering types.  I sent you a message with the details.

Do you find your Comanche a tight fit?  Asking for a friend.
Like I told my Dad, there's a lot more of me now than when I was 17 driving his. Once in I'm ok but getting my legs in and out can be challenging. The door has to be fully open. And the steering wheel tilted all the way up. No tight parking spots.

89 Comanche
Eliminator
2wd
4.0L
5 speed PukeGoat
Factory Original

Almost too much as my wife would say! Biggest is I coach football, have been doing it for years at the youth level. Would take a new team from 1st-2nd grade coach them all the way to high school and start over. Past two seasons I've been coaching at high school, it's 3A which is a big change from the 5A schools I'm used to. This may be my last season for a bit as we got a lot going on in life, another kid, moving, blah. Love to go camping, been pretty bad about it lately as fire bans have made it a drag. We tent camp and like to get back in the middle of no where. I'm a huge car nut in general and like to work on cars. Don't have the luxury of multiple projects these days (hence picking up a reliable daily) so just have the WJ as my project, MJ is getting put on the back burner for a bit. Also a uber DIY person so always have some project going on somewhere. Most recent was framing our basement to finish it, but now we are moving so stopped working on it. 

I manage a welding supply store for a living. Have been in welding supplies for over 25 years so far. So I like to build stuff for my Jeep. They don’t make much aftermarket stuff for MJ’s. So I build my own. Made front and rear bumpers, rock rails. And some other stuff. Always improving something. I Like the feeling of accomplishment when the jobs done and installed. It was just a chunk of metal. A little cutting bending and welding and it’s done.