Period correct custom 1989 Comanche

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I feel like we need a PSA on turn signal sockets lol. But like above, its the crap front Ford sockets used.

The PSA should include not plugging in the under hood light connector also. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well, the time is here (I’m a bit late posting all this) but the engine is finally coming out (or at the time of this post, been out for 2 days) but this would be July 21st I went in and pulled the entire front clip off. It wasn’t too tedious, but it was exhausting. (On a quick side note, I did end up buying that XJ.) when pulling off the hoses, the coolant came out rust brown and full of chunks. Yummy stuff! :crazy:

11CC8B2C-4B74-4768-9B75-8B2795581AB4.jpeg

FE92B305-1752-4B86-9B6C-F691B443795B.jpeg

Today (Monday, August 9th, 2021) I pulled the engine out of the XJ. It was a replacement engine as the serial on the engine didn’t match the car. I ended up deciding to use this engine, over the original one. There is a ton of gunk in the lifter bores, and I don’t have a good way to clean it without tearing the entire thing down, which I don’t have time for, plus, the original engines crusty and rusty water passages are a turndown as well. The other engine also had more compression when tested. The original head will be cleaned and returned though. Now the fun part of returning all the renix sensors and accessories to the HO block. Fun times, but that’s all i have for now, I hope to have the power train ready to install by tomorrow, maybe even installed by tomorrow. I’m off of work until Thursday, so I’m hoping I can get it done and drive it to work then. Maybe I can? Maybe I can’t. We’ll just have to see :popcorn:

Drove it to work last night, and she’s a blast! Had maybe a bit much oil pressure and it runs nice and cool down the road. Only little issue is that the front prop shaft rubs on the exhaust from time to time. Hopefully going to go get a set of wheels today to finally have all 4 hubcaps again lol

Coming home from town yesterday after I went back-to-school shopping, I came upon an XJ in distress, their tire came apart and they didn’t have a functional jack. We went back to my house to change the tire and then we got to taking. It’s an 89, 4.0 5 speed and he was having issues with it, so I made sure to give him @cruiser54 ‘s website. Come to find out he wants a set of big tires and a lift for it. I just so happen to have a parts XJ with just that. He also said he didn’t want the turbines that were on it and said he would do a trade + money for those, so looks like I finally got a set of turbines, I just need to find 2 center caps (they’re missing) and I’ll be set, no more rusty steel wheels!

8 hours ago, Dickinson County Comanche said:

Coming home from town yesterday after I went back-to-school shopping, I came upon an XJ in distress, their tire came apart and they didn’t have a functional jack. We went back to my house to change the tire and then we got to taking. It’s an 89, 4.0 5 speed and he was having issues with it, so I made sure to give him @cruiser54 ‘s website. Come to find out he wants a set of big tires and a lift for it. I just so happen to have a parts XJ with just that. He also said he didn’t want the turbines that were on it and said he would do a trade + money for those, so looks like I finally got a set of turbines, I just need to find 2 center caps (they’re missing) and I’ll be set, no more rusty steel wheels!

Karma at it's finest.

• 1 month later...

Added fog lights, as well as a whole new set of lug nuts. I keep losing them going down the road. Less than 2,000 miles and I’ve lost 3 or 4 now. Hopefully nicer new ones will help. I also robbed a friends old front clip off his Jeep of the remaining chrome front trim pieces I needed. 

7D4F754C-E209-4D71-B4F0-BE67C93F6109.jpeg

887AB747-117D-4414-903C-D4686A6825B3.jpeg

679214F7-85C3-4523-A0B4-BC666CF817A0.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dickinson County Comanche said:

Hey, it works does it not? lol. I’m surprised how flimsy the factory bumpers really are. I barely even hit the tree and it bent it a ton.

I do believe they are made from a rare rust-able tin foil.  :(  'tis the bane of MJ owners everywhere.  :fistshake2:

are you re-torquing the nuts after a drive around the block?

9 hours ago, Pete M said:

I do believe they are made from a rare rust-able tin foil.  :(  'tis the bane of MJ owners everywhere.  :fistshake2:

are you re-torquing the nuts after a drive around the block?

I checked them again after a drive and they all seemed good and tight, so hopefully no more will be lost.