Grab Handles

jdog

Grab Handles  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Does your truck have factory grab handle on the passenger side

Sounds to me like you have a later model truck with headrests in the seat. If I recall correctly headrests werent offered until 90 model yr. Someone will come along that can help better.

My build: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://comancheclub.com/topic/8033-finally-found-onenow-it-has-a-new-floor/&share_tid=8033&share_fid=53169&share_type=t

I was thinking it was to indicate shoulder belts. seems to be in all types of MJs.  :dunno:
But shoulder belts were mandatory that's why I'm thinking it's the grab handle as it was optional in the lower Trims

For what it is worth, both of my trucks have the handles. Per the registry the 1988 has the "CGX" on the build code. The 1990 has "CSR Passenger Assist Handles" in the build sheets you guys are able to pull up. 

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

what a weird time in history.  shoulder belts are mandatory, but headrests aren't  :sad2: 

If you actually look at safety restraint history it is really strange, lap belts optional before 64, as well as heaters. Airbags had been installed in the 70s then removed, and now we have vehicles that are more airbags than vehicle.

1 hour ago, 500 MJ said:

For what it is worth, both of my trucks have the handles. Per the registry the 1988 has the "CGX" on the build code. The 1990 has "CSR Passenger Assist Handles" in the build sheets you guys are able to pull up. 

That does help

13 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

Sounds to me like you have a later model truck with headrests in the seat. If I recall correctly headrests werent offered until 90 model yr. Someone will come along that can help better.

My build: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://comancheclub.com/topic/8033-finally-found-onenow-it-has-a-new-floor/&share_tid=8033&share_fid=53169&share_type=t

Ah you are on mobile, it's a poll asking yes or no so that I can get a sample group to see if they all have that code in the build sheets

"RR" means "Rear." I suspect that's a build code for a Cherokee with rear headrests.

Remember, they recycle codes. A code that was used for an AMC XJ or MJ may well be is use today for some other Chrysler vehicle, and mean something different from what it meant for Jeep.

here's why I kinda support the theory here, My XJ does not have any provision for the grab handle, yes I have the handle and the A-pillar with open spots for the handle, but no holes(at least none that I could find without tearing out the interior) anywhere around where it should mount. My XJ is a very very base XJ model.

36 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

here's why I kinda support the theory here, My XJ does not have any provision for the grab handle, yes I have the handle and the A-pillar with open spots for the handle, but no holes(at least none that I could find without tearing out the interior) anywhere around where it should mount. My XJ is a very very base XJ model.

Is this something that we can attribute to "the first year XJs were janky and AMC didn't know what they were doing yet?" - kind of like the bucket seats without headrests, one-year interior colors, carbed 2.5L, and other fun 1984 and 1985 oddities?

5 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Is this something that we can attribute to "the first year XJs were janky and AMC didn't know what they were doing yet?" - kind of like the bucket seats without headrests, one-year interior colors, carbed 2.5L, and other fun 1984 and 1985 oddities?

Ok, fair. We can partially null my point.

4 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Ok, fair. We can partially null my point.

I'm just poking fun :L:

Every MJ and XJ I have ever laid eyes on has had the grab handle for the front passenger. I don't remember seeing it ever being listed as optional in any of the brochures. Wouldn't surprise me if some 1984 XJs rolled off the line without one. I've seen weirder stuff happen on production lines.

6 hours ago, watchamakalit said:

the CC has their own mobile version of the site. :L:   It's just not an outright app. 

plus then your signature would look right and not have the tapatalk address string.  :D 

and speaking of your signature link, do you still have any of the old photos from the start of your build?  most of the links are dead. :( 

16 hours ago, Minuit said:

very MJ and XJ I have ever laid eyes on has had the grab handle for the front passenger. I don't remember seeing it ever being listed as optional in any of the brochures. Wouldn't surprise me if some 1984 XJs rolled off the line without one. I've seen weirder stuff happen on production lines.

I agree haven't seen one without but I wasn't going to assume and figured i'd ask and see if anybody is missing the handle, but it looks like everyone has the handle. back to the drawing board I go