Comanche Wildernest Trailer project

For several years I've been on the lookout for a Wildernest camper shell ....finally found one . 

IMG_1647.JPG

Rob (automan2164 ) asked me if I was interested in the Wildernest and I jumped at the chance to get it . I also bought a LWB   MJ trailer Rob had so I could mount the Wildernest and trailer together. 

After making the 10 hr trip there ( was supposed to be 8 lol ) Rob and myself worked on getting everything ready for the journey home . We took the Wildernest off of his truck and put it on the trailer , put different tires/wheels on ,installed new shocks and made sure the wiring worked . It was great Meeting Rob , Angela , and Bear as they are great people ! Here's a picture before I made the journey back home . 

IMG_1621.JPG

Next thing was the tailgate /bumper . I stole the tailgate from my 89 ( I have more that I can paint ) and a spare bumper I had . Decided to also install a hitch for future use . Here are some before and after pictures. 

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

The tires were good enough for the ride home but had some dry rot , had a pair of different tires  that were in better shape so installed them . 

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

Painted the the leaf springs before installing the newer tires too . 

IMG_1645.JPG

20 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

You did some excellent work on that trailer , great fabrication. 

That was a super fun day with Rob. At the time I had a couple long bed trucks around the yard so I pulled measurements from those based on where his frame was already cut. He showed up early and we cranked it out like it was a precision military exercise. 

Disregard the “extra” leaf spring perches. :shaking:

3 hours ago, neohic said:

That was a super fun day with Rob. At the time I had a couple long bed trucks around the yard so I pulled measurements from those based on where his frame was already cut. He showed up early and we cranked it out like it was a precision military exercise. 

Disregard the “extra” leaf spring perches. :shaking:

He told me about that lol , I have options to go SOA or SUA though . 

Had to go back and revisit the “way back” machine. Years ago, two addresses ago, and a few states away from where it was put together... twins!

15063CB0-872A-4D4D-90DF-8AE6CF93892A.jpeg.47634a41b60168c6d8bd961f4dae8a3d.jpeg

I’ve got more pictures from when it was thrown together should you want them. What are your plans for its next step?

55 minutes ago, neohic said:

Had to go back and revisit the “way back” machine. Years ago, two addresses ago, and a few states away from where it was put together... twins!

15063CB0-872A-4D4D-90DF-8AE6CF93892A.jpeg.47634a41b60168c6d8bd961f4dae8a3d.jpeg

I’ve got more pictures from when it was thrown together should you want them. What are your plans for its next step?

I'll take any pictures you'd like to share , I appreciate it Ben . 

I need to put stabilizer jacks on , i'm thinking four of the same scissor jacks from a junkyard will do the trick. 

Replace/refinish some of the hardware ,i've already done some of it…

: Seal/repair  the tent 

: Try to eliminate some body roll that the trailer has . I know it's a bit top-heavy with the Wildernest , but I think I can eliminate some of it.

:  I need to figure out what I want to do about water and electricity .  I'm not trying to make it over complicated or overpriced, but I do want it to be functionable so I can enjoy it. 

: Reinforce the lid, I'm not a small guy and I don't want to take a chance of breaking the lid sleeping on it. I may just be paranoid, but I want to make sure it doesn't get ruined.

: I need to replace the bulb seal as well, it's pretty crusty and I would like to try to stop the water from getting in there if possible.

1 minute ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

: Try to eliminate some body roll that the trailer has . I know it's a bit top-heavy with the Wildernest , but I think I can eliminate some of it.

I don't have a camper topper on it and I hate how much roll mine has. :(  I'd wager some new shocks would help, but my end goal is a swaybar. :D