Chunk, A 1984 XJ

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/15/2024 at 8:34 PM, eaglescout526 said:

The more I look and see it, the harsher I can be on my self for the job I did. But to do this by myself in an hour, sun beating down, heat rising and taking my time with the patience to keep it straight while fighting such of a reminder to do so, I think I can come away proud of what I did and how good it still looks. Thus giving birth to the "84 Limited Concept" idea(Thanks Carter!). No, the name isnt changing of the project but I like the sound of that title. here's putting on the pin-striping for the first time solo

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3015.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

It goes to show you are your own worst critic but the job I did is growing on me.

You need some miracle grow. :eek:

I can get away with that but you sir can't. You have a clean build going don't let the standerd slip. :dunno: maybe I'm your worse critic, made respect for you which is why I have to tell you pin stripes need be on point or they just ruin the overall first impressional look. Understanding me ? Hell I know you do. Ocd a blessing or a curse.. :dunno:

3 hours ago, MiNi Beast said:

Understanding me ?

Yeah I do, I mean they’re set now and they don’t bother me as much as they did, but I’ll always know I could’ve done better. I blame my eyesight every time for stuff like this. Similar to when Obi-wan says to not trust your eyes. They deceive you. 

IMG_3080.jpg

57 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

What a hunk of Chunk. Looking good.  :L:

Lol thanks Ωhm!

4 minutes ago, M.T.Hands said:

Looking good:wink::thumbsup:

Thank ya! 

Now to finish the T/A. Expect to see the engine put together before '25 and expect to have it driving in early '25.

Toom some glam shots yesterday before the cruise in filled a little

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

Also swapped out the radio. As much as I would love to have the CD player, it just wasnt practical sadly. It was only half working, volume was low. Its really cool and I will fix it one day, but for now, a 1984 correct radio.

IMG_3142.jpg

7 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Toom some glam shots yesterday before the cruise in filled a little

IMG_3128.jpg

IMG_3129.jpg

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

Also swapped out the radio. As much as I would love to have the CD player, it just wasnt practical sadly. It was only half working, volume was low. Its really cool and I will fix it one day, but for now, a 1984 correct radio.

IMG_3142.jpg

Aww yeah. Out and about. :beerchug:

On 10/6/2024 at 7:59 PM, Pete M said:

reaping the benefits of a project well done :D 

Oh yeah! Even those guys on the XJ preservation seem to love Chunk.

Now heres a PSA, go through your parts more!! I went bumbling around for the original air cleaner for chunk to hang as decor in my garage with the 2.5L lid and came across some parts. Some of which will be listed here first then ebay.

However!! I plan to add the deluxe(intermittent)wiper set up, upon digging through my parts I found a tilt column key/turn/wiper switch housing with the wiper switch still in it. Appears to be original AMC/Chrysler equipment. Looks like I am gonna have the deluxe wipers sooner than I thought!! And it works too with a wiper module I also had laying around! Hell yeah! I think that will tick all the luxury boxes for the XJ. Only thing I am missing is keyless entry and thats impossible unless someone wants to help reverse engineer some 80's tech.

I made hell of some discoveries today. So I did some digging to find paperwork on the AC. Found it and then some. Alot of invoices from the 90s on parts the PO replaced and his battle with the clutch. The AC I found out was installed July 20th of 1988. Went in for warranty for the idler pulley in 89. Its still the original R12.....yay and boo. 

The AC kit is from a company called ARA Manufacuring and installed by airmec inc. Pretty neat. Even found the kit instructions as well. Sadly does not list my expansion valve part number but I think I have that narrowed down to a Ford one as almost everything was standard in the 80's. So while this could be a true dealer American Air kit, I am going to say it isnt but nonetheless was still done by a professional AC shop in the 80's. 

I even found the original for sale ad from the local newspaper where the PO got it.

Edit, the for sale ad is from Dec 9 1986. So the PO had it for two years almost, threw in AC then took it up to WA and fought alot of battles with the clutch. How neat.

4 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Also got the deluxe wiper switch in. That was an interesting challenge.

from what little I have seen, that looks like it would be "interesting" to say the least:dunno::thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, M.T.Hands said:

from what little I have seen, that looks like it would be "interesting" to say the least:dunno::thumbsup:

Haha. Nothing exciting. Just 40 year old grease, taking the upper column housing out and fishing the old switch out and fishing the new one in.

Now the interesting part is that the key cylinder is known as a type 1. Which is retained by a button you push in and then pull it out. The later ones, not sure when the change happened, is held in by a special bolt.

So lets see. AC as it turns out, has had a slight leak for probably since the time I owned it as there was oil on the underside of one of the caps and now the valve has failed resulting it being stuck open. So theres that, not the expansion valve like I thought. Oh well I will charge it with some freezone that I have as a 30lb keg laying around.

I fixed the heater control valve. That was stuck and I dont know why. But all I know is that i was annoyed to be driving and not have cool air while the temps outside are cool. 

I have to figure out why cruise control isnt working

Have to replace the wiper bushings

And the float is stuck on the sending unit again....its got a full tank so I have to wait or hope it frees itself. 

All in all, a blast to drive still!