Chunk, A 1984 XJ

IMG_2570.jpg

Got the ECU and System Sentry computer mounted. I couldnt believe my eyes once I found that the bracket matched where it is now. I thought maybe its somewhere stupid and Id have to make something to get the two to live together but nope! Got that mounted, made a custom bracket to mount the ECU to the old CEC fuel feedback ECU screw holes and now they are in there together. They both clear the gas pedal and thats all I need.

Got the lower dash mounted, it is all coming together and the end is in sight as I add every piece back to this thing. I decided to roll with the older lower dash which does not have the speaker grills for the tweeters but I still have the tweeters in. I also found out with this radio that if I tune to the number up, its loud as hell but grainy sound. I did fiddle with the pots on the back of the radio and got no where which makes me think something is wrong with the tuner and could be misaligned somehow. I dont know but as I learn more about these radios, I hope I can fix this one. For now, enjoy the progress! I hope to get to the T/A soon.

IMG_2571.jpg

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_2580.jpg

Ok not much new here in this pic. Added some chrome vents to help give some class to this classless XJ. Also took my original dash mat that was with little red and threw it on Chunks dash. I think it looks pretty good actually. 

Also got the trans sensor wired in, it works and shows full now. Still need to add the engine but that requires draining the oil to add... I am gonna wait on that.

Speedo cable is in. I have no idea if it registers as I was not paying attention when I pulled him back in the garage. Whoops.

Still dont know what I am gonna do about the axle sensors. I can only guess where they go and well the D30 does not look like a fun one to add if my guess on where it goes is correct. 

Still have lots to do.

Ok so I learned the speedo is just dead. It bounces all over the place, balance wheel was out of whack. I did a quick swap around and it should be good. I gotta do another quick zip up and down the street to test it. 

Speedo is good. Took a night spin and that was fun. I can not wait to actually be able to drive this Jeep. Oh and the power is much much better vs the carb. Sure still got 3.55 ratio but it was still fun and still had power to go vs the carb would fight with me a little to just go.

8 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Late night experimenting with YouTube. First clip of the sentry in action. 

Thats so cool, how hard was it to get wired up with the 84, i know amc liked to leave wires to add options later on 

57 minutes ago, jpnjake said:

Thats so cool, how hard was it to get wired up with the 84, i know amc liked to leave wires to add options later on 

It wasnt that bad actually. The challenging part was separating it from the old harness and getting the harness in with the same rubber gromet as the ECU harness. Rest was just lining up where wires went. Honestly, if anyone found one, a sentry set up, it can be installed on an MJ too, youd have to do some drilling and tapping for the old sensors.

8 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

It wasnt that bad actually. The challenging part was separating it from the old harness and getting the harness in with the same rubber gromet as the ECU harness. Rest was just lining up where wires went. Honestly, if anyone found one, a sentry set up, it can be installed on an MJ too, youd have to do some drilling and tapping for the old sensors.

That’s super awesome, definitely something that makes this truck even more unique! I’ve been looking for one as a wall hanger but I may just have to get one for my limited build :laugh:

51 minutes ago, jpnjake said:

That’s super awesome, definitely something that makes this truck even more unique! I’ve been looking for one as a wall hanger but I may just have to get one for my limited build :laugh:

One in the limited would be sweet!

1 hour ago, jpnjake said:

Its worth it and a conversation piece too. The only sensors you can not do is the axle....unless you want to drill into the diff cover or swap axles. Thats the problem I have run into. Course I do not know where you would put the trans sensor on the AW4 or AX15. But nothing a drill and tap cant solve. I do have the thread size and measurement. 

Course the idea of it being a wall hanger is cool too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Heres me just showing the compressor off for the auto level system. Its not entirely hooked up yet, I need to put in the air shocks and run the air line all the way back to the shocks which is still in the preliminary stage.

I also ran the power wire for the trailer brake relay harness to the breaker for the power windows and seats. As to if it works? Well I am guessing so haha. Ill have to just probe the trailer connecter and see if we have brake lights. 

Which brings me to having the drivers back panel on and cargo cover back on as well! Now what else needs to be done?

• 2 weeks later...

Rear axle has its sensor now. Thats when I found the transfercase low. It really wasnt but the oil that came out looked like a strawberry milkshake. Guess a drain and refill for that is in the future. I also found the axle to have been really low on oil too. That was a scary discovery when I had drill the hole for the sensor.

IMG_2692.jpg

Heres where the sensor on the D35 goes. I put it in too high, whoops but thats ok, it is still reading the fluid. But now I need to find a washer like gasket like how an oil pan drain bolt uses on all these sensors to stop the leaks. 

I also found a t-case skid plate in my parts. I think I got it from the same person who sent me the system sentry but I do not remember anymore haha. Now to figure out how to install it, or where it goes for that matter and if my XJ can take it.

Couple things. 
One. Finally got the exhaust down pipe!!!

Went to go put it in, got it bolted to the manifold, looked at the other end. 
Aaaannnnnd it’s too long. Ain’t that interesting. I for the life of me can not figure out why. Now my 88 parts book says 4cyl is the same regardless of the 4wd or not along with XJ or MJ. Fits both. 

Well no big deal, I’ll cut it, expand the pipe and slide the cut end in and weld it once I have it fitted to where I need it to be. I’m still trying to figure out how this is an issue unless I ended up with a 4.0L pipe which I highly doubt but everything should be the same unless AMC changed the frame and the mounts on the XJ after 86 which I am not aware of such happening. 

1 minute ago, fiatslug87 said:

:L: What’s next?

Final adjustments! We took him for a ride around the block this evening. Couple little things I need to fix and itll be good and ready.

Theres still more to do. Air shocks, new rear leafs, tcase skid plate. 

• 1 month later...

EB9229E8-9EB3-46F3-B4C2-DF29205FD269.jpeg

Skid plate added. 

As I sit and learn more about the system sentry and experiment to get the washer and coolant fluid sensors to work, I learned the sensors need to have about 2kΩhm resistance in order for the light on the clock to turn off. So I busted out one of my NOS sensors from AMC and plugged it in and it worked like it should. The difference I notice other than the resistance across the tabs is the color of the material used to create such resistance. Rather neat and odd. 

Now I’m gonna go put a want ad out for such with this knowledge haha. 

• 2 weeks later...

P4 is up on this venture!

IMG_2935.jpg

I got it in. Apparently I can not drill straight for crap! Oh well, its in with a slight leak and it works thats really all I care about right now. No, I absolutely will not show you guys how I did it. I am not proud to say the least but just think on how I could go an accomplish such a feat...

GUYS!!!!!!! ONE LIGHT LEFT!!!! I will soon have a functioning system sentry!! This is exciting to say the least! 

So I was moving some stuff around and stumbled upon a NOS washer bottle for the 84-85 XJ only, maybe 86 2.8L.

Anyways, it had the float sensor! So I quickly Ωhmd it out and holy Sugar Honey Iced Tea did it come out to where I needed it, 3.1k Ωhms! Grabbed it out of the bottle, pulled the other one in Chunk out, put it in and you have the short right above this text haha. 

That being said, should I start doing things with this youtube channel? Im not looking to make money, but if anyone has any ideas or would like to see anything do let me know.

IMG_2952.jpg

Decided to throw the woodgrain bezel on. Looks pretty damn good. 

4wd is working like it should. Seems to turn off from lack of vacuum and turn back on when it has vacuum. Course this is to the axle which is controlled by the selec-trac switch in the console. T-case is still controlled normally. 

All thats left is to swap the shocks to the air shocks, put that engine oil sensor in to complete the system sentry, get new rear leafs and then get it registered and on the road so I can drive him around and take him to the cruise in. Gotta type up a spec sheet before hitting the cruise in.