Meant to buy a parts rig....

38 minutes ago, Minuit said:
On 2/18/2020 at 10:45 AM, 88towmanche said:

This has been bugging me for quite some time. The dismissive tone of this reply did not help.

Whoa there hoss - if you are seeing "tone" in this response, my bad - certainly was not intended.

No idea the MJ booster upgrade was a Ford vs Chevy debate - the sticky at the top of this page about what was the best thing you've done to your MJ has a lot of people claiming the booster upgrade was beneficial so it was on my punch list as a possible upgrade if the truck needed brake work or if it would be helpful for towing a small boat around.

Eagle pointed out that swapping the booster may not actually be that much of an upgrade - and he has a been a good source of information on the Comanche from what I've read so I will reconsider whether I want to do a swap or stick OEM.

Rather than type another wall of text, I just said "Ok" to acknowledge that he took the time to provide some information - which is appreciated and part of what makes CC a great resource.

Likewise, always appreciate the information that you provide in your posts Minuit - another great resource.

No harm no foul intended

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

You guys are getting hosed. 

Chuckles.

How so?

If you're referring to my post in particular, I checked my files and I was off on the appraised values.   They were $2,000 for the MJ & $2,200 for the XJ.   I was thinking of the total cost not individually.   A "parts" MJ that I bought and then sold was appraised at $1,000 for the transfer.   Tax at 10% is what it is.   In the past I've questioned why there's a tax at all.   It's to the Province's benefit that vehicles be sold over and over and over … and so on.   It's a windfall to them.   That argument goes no where.   

11 minutes ago, PCO6 said:

How so?

If you're referring to my post in particular, I checked my files and I was off on the appraised values.   They were $2,000 for the MJ & $2,200 for the XJ.   I was thinking of the total cost not individually.   A "parts" MJ that I bought and then sold was appraised at $1,000 for the transfer.   Tax at 10% is what it is.   In the past I've questioned why there's a tax at all.   It's to the Province's benefit that vehicles be sold over and over and over … and so on.   It's a windfall to them.   That argument goes no where.   

Getting hosed in Washington State for sure

It's been a huge problem here for decades - around 15 years ago because of how bad the tax calculations are for used cars a voter initiative passed that capped car tabs at $30 for the whole state - the Legislature FREAKED OUT and got the initiative thrown as as "unconstitutional" so the backers changed the resolution to comply with state constitution, got it back on the ballot and it passed again - the Legislature FREAKED OUT again and got an injunction against implementation - but they knew it was not going to go away so they agreed to a $30 car tab flat fee and we have been kind of going with but every year without actually passing a law but they have been creeping the costs back up and I think like 2 years ago they started using the same F'd up car valuations again so the $30 car tab initiative popped back up last year and passed again by statewide vote - and the State legislature once AGAIN got a court injunction to block implementation.

Washington State - home of the worst Legislative body in the country.

They know the State Used car valuations are wrong, don't care, won't fix - State says a 1988 XJ fair market value is nearly $14,000 and that's what they want to collect tax on - don't care what you paid for it.

messed up

28 minutes ago, 88towmanche said:

They know the State Used car valuations are wrong, don't care, won't fix - State says a 1988 XJ fair market value is nearly $14,000 and that's what they want to collect tax on - don't care what you paid for it.

messed up

I noticed that on your earlier post and nearly fell over!   $14,000 to you would about $18,500 to me.   I paid just under that for an LJ, XJ and MJ … total.   Although getting a transfer appraisal can be a pain in the butt I'm glad we have that option.   The most I've paid is $100 and to be honest, they "work with you" to come up with the appraised value. 

1 hour ago, 88towmanche said:

Whoa there hoss - if you are seeing "tone" in this response, my bad - certainly was not intended.

No idea the MJ booster upgrade was a Ford vs Chevy debate - the sticky at the top of this page about what was the best thing you've done to your MJ has a lot of people claiming the booster upgrade was beneficial so it was on my punch list as a possible upgrade if the truck needed brake work or if it would be helpful for towing a small boat around.

Eagle pointed out that swapping the booster may not actually be that much of an upgrade - and he has a been a good source of information on the Comanche from what I've read so I will reconsider whether I want to do a swap or stick OEM.

Rather than type another wall of text, I just said "Ok" to acknowledge that he took the time to provide some information - which is appreciated and part of what makes CC a great resource.

Likewise, always appreciate the information that you provide in your posts Minuit - another great resource.

No harm no foul intended

Swapping to the dual diaphragm booster certainly won't hurt, but there's more to it than "remove old, install new" especially on Renix trucks. There will be some light fabrication, as the pedal mounting is different on a Renix era truck, and the dual booster's master cylinder has metric bubble flares rather than the typical double flare. The assembly is larger, and the similar WJ booster is in some ways more convenient to install but requires you to molest the firewall seam for clearance.

What will happen with the dual diaphragm booster is lower pedal pressure - you will have to push less hard on the pedal to get braking. This is what leads people to think that their brakes are better, but really it's just changed the response curve of the pedal. The single diaphragm system does have high pedal pressure - you have to push hard to get braking out of the system, but the performance is there. Nothing like unboosted brakes, but much higher than modern cars. If that is not to your liking, or you expect someone with weak legs to drive the truck, the dual diaphragm upgrade may very well be worth it to you. Just don't expect to stop in a shorter distance.

TL;DR: It makes your brake pedal easier to push. It's up to you to decide if that's worth the effort and cost.

3 hours ago, PCO6 said:

How so?

If I bought a $1000 car today, Monday morning- 

All I need is signed title, declared amount of purchase (I just tell them), insurance card. 

My cost for tax, tag, title transfer, would be about $150, they would be handing my my tag before I could finish filling out the check. 

Our tag fees just went up, from $24 annually to $29. 

Hosed. 

BTW, trailers, non-commercial use, no tax, no tag, no registration. 

43 minutes ago, Jeep Driver said:

All I need is signed title, declared amount of purchase (I just tell them), insurance card. 

My cost for tax, tag, title transfer, would be about $150, they would be handing my my tag before I could finish filling out the check. 

Hosed. 

Apart from the licencing fee we're not that different.  Our annual licence fee is $120 CDN (about $90 US).

Your $1,000 car would be about $1,300 CDN.   It would cost me $20 to transfer, $130 in taxes, and if it's 20+ years old $50 to $100 for an appraisal so lets say a maximum of $250 CDN (about $185 US).  Same as you, we require the vendor to sign the ownership (title) and provide a bill of sale.   If I was putting it on the road I would need a safety certificate from a licenced mechanic and proof of insurance.   If not I would register it as an unfit vehicle.

Regarding non-commercial trailers, we pay a one shot fee of $25.   We get a licence plate and an ownership / title.

10 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Hosed. 

Car tabs  are a huge mess up here right now - they finally stopped emission testing this year but there are multiple court cases pending over the $30 car tab passing - again.

Wifes 2017 Ford Fusion was around $400 for registration this year, could be $30 next year or another $400 - based on States opinion of car value and results of pending litigation.

Trailers are not too bad but you have to pay for tabs every year - I have a couple of trailers but usually only keep 1 registered and swap the plate to the one I'm using (wing nuts for quick swap)

Boats can be a hassle - All boats in Washington State need to be tabbed in June - start of fishing season so the state is on it right when people want to use their boats - makes for long lines at the DMV late May

Even when the state was begrudgingly going along with $30 tabs, my truck was always at least  $100 - I said something about it at the DMV and they told me it was a CAR tab fee and rules were different for trucks or SUV's - had nothing to do with gross vehicle weight so more bs to squeeze revenue.

Got collector plates on the MJ so never have to buy tabs for it again - but they warned me that if i was caught hauling stuff in the bed or making dump runs, would be subject to fines - you can have your collector truck but can't use it as a truck - asshats - put a tonneau on it so can't see if I'm hauling anyways

Update: Got it titled.

Just kept going to different DMV offices - each time presented the Title and Bill of Sale - shot down twice - both places claimed fair market value was $13k+

3rd  office I went to just processed the paperwork and signed off on the $1400 purchase price without comment - completely random nonsense dealing with the State bureaucracy but now good to go.

• 4 weeks later...

So, had another XJ 2 door pop up on my radar - wasn't really looking with all the crazy shixt going on right now, but it was right there and price was good.....so.......

Got another 88 XJ 2 door 5spd - this one is a "Sport" version

This one is really, really clean - no dents, rust, clean gray interior - mileage shows just over 200k but runs great - probably fix this one up for the wife and kind of go the wheeler route with the black one...

Too many Jeeps

Red interior.jpg

Red drvr.jpg

Red pssngr.jpg

On 2/25/2020 at 11:19 AM, 88towmanche said:

Update: Got it titled.

Just kept going to different DMV offices - each time presented the Title and Bill of Sale - shot down twice - both places claimed fair market value was $13k+

3rd  office I went to just processed the paperwork and signed off on the $1400 purchase price without comment - completely random nonsense dealing with the State bureaucracy but now good to go.

that is incredibly hilarious in a sad, tragic sort of way.

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

that is incredibly hilarious in a sad, tragic sort of way.

Yep - and now I have to go do it again (although the DMV offices are all closed due to WuFlu)

Think I'll start with the place that titled the black one