Factory tow hooks, ever seen this part?

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

I have a set of those as NOS!!

They will not mount in conjunction with the hooks. They could but they might collide with the hook and be rendered useless.

Cool!  Can you post a pic?

I wonder if they stick down far enough so if they were put to use, would the strap clear the air dam, or screw it up?

1 minute ago, schardein said:

Cool!  Can you post a pic?

I wonder if they stick down far enough so if they were put to use, would the strap clear the air dam, or screw it up?

I will have to! I don't have a picture of them at the moment but what I can describe them as is loops with holes for mounting. They don't look like what the catalogue shows.

I saw one (but only one) on the RHD '95 I saw in the junkyard yesterday. It was on the right side of the vehicle, and there was a matching rectangular cutout in the air dam. It was fairly small, about the rough size of the factory tow hooks.

I had the factory front towbar on my MJ (got it off an XJ in the junkyard).  I vaguely remember those little brackets, I think.  I was somehow able to get the tow bar and the hooks to play nice together, but I don't remember the exact setup anymore.  I used to have a really nice set of pics showing how I installed it all (even had a thread on here about it a long time ago) but sadly all those old pics went away thanks to Photobucket.

Here's the only pics I still have showing the towbar and hook setup I ran.  I didn't use the towbar as actually intended, but rather to stiffen up things between the framerails underneath the radiator support.  That bar is/was fairly stout, and added a bunch of rigidity to the front end.

IMG_4284.JPG

IMG_4285.JPG

IMG_4283.JPG

While were talking about these parts, I have some pieces that I need some clarification on.... I've got these 3 front brackets. I wanna know what each actually is...

The small, half bracket (pic of part #)

The medium for tow hooks

And the big one with the white sticker came with Kerry's hidden winch kit...

20200123_172255.jpg

20200123_172406.jpg

Screenshot_20200129-170605_Gallery.jpg

27 minutes ago, krustyballer16 said:

While were talking about these parts, I have some pieces that I need some clarification on.... I've got these 3 front brackets. I wanna know what each actually is...

The small, half bracket (pic of part #)

The medium for tow hooks

And the big one with the white sticker came with Kerry's hidden winch kit...

As you probably know, the longest one is for the hidden winch.  The second set of bolt holes allow the bumper to mounted further forward.  Any factory brackets I've seen 85-96 have been that style.  The shorter one, I want to say I've seen those on a 97-01 XJ.  Perhaps they shortened it and the hidden winch wasn't an option in those years?  It's odd that the bumper bracket isn't welded to it.  Ive never seen one that didn't have the bumper bracket welded to it.  I've got a set of brackets that the bumper brackets are pretty bent up, my plan was to one day cut them off and get new ones.  Not sure why the factory chose to weld the bumper brackets to the tow hook brackets, doesn't add any strength or support to the tow hook as far as I can tell.  

The shortest one I've never seen or heard of before.

17 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

image.jpg.1de6ed318f1dfb23438b0b47a7112ca0.jpg

This is what I have. The latest and greatest version of that tow eye. I have a pair of them. Supposedly these are found on TJs as well

:L: I see, this design supersedes the old one.  This definitely wouldn't work with a tow hook.  I can't recall ever seeing one of these.

19 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

image.jpg.1de6ed318f1dfb23438b0b47a7112ca0.jpg

This is what I have. The latest and greatest version of that tow eye. I have a pair of them. Supposedly these are found on TJs as well

Are those welded underneath?

The purpose of this is to.....