difference between 4wH and 4wL

4 wheel high is for normal driving on loose surfaces. You should be able to shift while moving. 4 wheel low is for low speed high power situations. The low range acts as a torque multiplier and allows the truck to crawl over very rough terrain, but at very low speeds. Low range is not to be used on road at all.

59 minutes ago, dasbulliwagen said:

4 wheel high is for normal driving on loose surfaces. You should be able to shift while moving. 4 wheel low is for low speed high power situations. The low range acts as a torque multiplier and allows the truck to crawl over very rough terrain, but at very low speeds. Low range is not to be used on road at all.

And to clarify further, it is recommended NOT to shift in to 4 wheel LOW while moving. 

If your truck has a stock t-case the difference will be a reduction of 2.72 : 1

You can shift from 2H to 4H when moving ......as long as all 4 tires are turning at the same speed (....you can't be spinning your rear wheels and yank on the shifter)

Shifting from high to low or visa versa on the fly is an art form and not recommended

8 hours ago, dasbulliwagen said:

I see, this was very helpful, ill just stop to get into 4wd , what's the point of neutral in the bezel? 

14 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

disconnect both axles so you can tow the truck

Except that in the Comanche years neutral didn't disconnect the axles. It disconnected them from the transmission, but they were still locked together -- as in 4WD. Jeep didn't change that to provide a true neutral in the transfer case until the mid- or late 90s.

17 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Except that in the Comanche years neutral didn't disconnect the axles. It disconnected them from the transmission, but they were still locked together -- as in 4WD. Jeep didn't change that to provide a true neutral in the transfer case until the mid- or late 90s.

So I'll never need to use it then? Why can't I just use normal neutral for getting towed lol

I use transfer case neutral for warm-up on my truck. I start the engine, put the transfer case in neutral, shift into 3rd gear (manual gear box), and let it warm-up at idle for ~3-5 minutes. To my mind it helps get the cold oil in the transmission moving and everywhere it needs to be before I put a load on it, decreasing wear and tear.

Neutral can also be useful for rotating the driveshafts, or rolling the truck around without starting it.

Honestly I have also used it to help with diagnostics: When I was hearing a sound in the drivetrain it let me eliminate axles, driveshafts, and transfercase output from being the issue.

So I wouldn't say "[you]'ll never need to use it".

The simple way to think of it is 4H is for driving at speed on loose/slippery/offroad type surfaces.  4L is for low speed, high torque type applications such as climbing a rock or getting unstuck.  

You can shift into 4H "on the fly" without taking your foot off the gas or shifting the transmission.  I usually take my foot off the gas at least just to make sure everything shifts into gear smoothly.  I recall that Jeep said they can be shifted into 4H at speeds up to 60mph or so.  Although I doubt you'd have a need for it at that speed.

To shift into 4L you need to come to a complete stop, shift the trans into neutral, then into 4L, then shift the trans back into gear.  Like stated above you can do some wizardry and shift into 4L while moving but I can't imagine that's good for it and is only for experienced off-roaders.

3 hours ago, Jay21 said:

So I'll never need to use it then? Why can't I just use normal neutral for getting towed lol

You can, for short distances. The neutral position is for people who routinely tow their Jeep for long distances, such as behind a motor home. When towing with the transmission in neutral, unless you remove the driveshaft(s) the output end of the transmission is being turned by the wheels turning the driveshaft(s). This doesn't provide sufficient lubricant circulation, so a long distance tow can damage the transmission. Disconnecting the transmission from the transfer case eliminates that issue.