Project: Timber

Hey all!! I've been on the boards for a while but I've never done a "build" thread. I mean, what I do is nothing spectacular like some of you guys, some of you have some real talent! This isn't my first MJ but I do plan on keeping this one. My first MJ was an '88 SWB truck that I had dreams of grandeur about and my plans were endless. I got so far on the plans then they kinda fell away as life moved on. I still have the truck and one of these days I will breath new life into it. My second MJ was an '89 LWB and I just wasn't enthused about it so I sold it to a fellow Jeeper. A few years pass by and then along came this SWB and I love it. I know it's only a 2wd but considering what I drove before this, '97 Saturn SW1, I mean come on, this is like the coolest thing ever!! Once again, I have big plans for it and in this stage of my life I should be able to complete them. 

Here it is in all it's glory.

Drivers_Side_1st_Day.JPG

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing I did was change the tire and wheel combo. Actually I already had this setup. Remember my first MJ, dreams of grandeur and whatnot...well these were on it. So I figured might as well put them to use before they dry rotted.

The truck has a Ford 8.8 in the rear with 4.10 gears. I'm running an 1-1/2" spacers on the rear and 1/4" spacers on the front. I had to run those on the front because I couldn't get the rim to sit flush on the hub, the center was too big. I have a plan on that but I'm not sure which way to go.

Here are my thoughts. Let me know what you think.

1) Swap out entire front beam for a late model one with unit bearings.

2) Swap in only the WJ knuckles and Akebono 2 piston calipers for better stopping power.

Passenger_Side.jpg

Side_Driver_Rear.jpg

I also put in the Hella E-code housings and H4 bulbs. Don't worry, I also installed a new headlight harness I got from eBay. I was skeptical about the harness when I ordered it but it's well built and everything fit and functions as it should. I must say, the lights are much better now.

Oh, I also put new mirrors on it and new window sweeps, inside and out. They had seen their better days. I ended up putting a new window regulator in the driver side because the old one had broke into. All fixed now though.

Front_Driver.jpg

One last picture today...

I've been fighting dash issues but I guess that's my fault. I didn't like the stock idiot lights and no tach. So I did what someone way smarter than me did. I combined two dash's to get what I wanted.

Like I said in my first post, some of you guys have talent!!

Dash.jpg

Today I put a new valve cover gasket on it and did Cruiser's valve cover mod. I hope this helps with the oil in the airbox, it sure can't hurt.

I also installed a 40 tooth speedo gear which has brought my speedometer back to dead nutz on. No more guessing how fast I'm going.

10 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Is that pup a cattle dog or part cattle dog?

The plan is for him to be. Mom is 100% blue heeler and dad is 1/2 Anatolian - 1/2 Great Pyrenees. Not really sure how those two hooked up but anyway, I hope he's gonna be a good one.

3 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

One of ours is a red Australian Cattle Dog (aka red heeler), great dog, smart and has amazing driving/herding instincts!

Whatchamacallit.jpg

I've had red heelers in the past and absolutely love them, extremely smart dogs. We got this pup because he was free and also because our Great Pyrenees went missing. We needed something that we felt like would stay around, Heeler, and something that would stay with the livestock, the mix of Anatolian and GP.

When I swapped in the full gauge cluster for my idiot (I know that's not a politically correct term) light factory one, I needed to swap out the oil and temp sensors on the engine so the gauges would read correctly. Well, I found the oil sensor pretty easily but not so on the temp sensor. Today I ordered the temp sensor online because no one had it in stock near me. I don't understand why ALL parts stores don't stock parts for '89 MJ's.....it just beats all. :laugh2:

While I was at it, I also ordered a new set of lock cylinders for the doors because using a screw driver to get in the driver door didn't seem all that secure to me. I've never replaced those before so looks like it's time to do some searching and reading...

When I swapped in the full gauge cluster for my idiot (I know that's not a politically correct term) light factory one, I needed to swap out the oil and temp sensors on the engine so the gauges would read correctly. Well, I found the oil sensor pretty easily but not so on the temp sensor. Today I ordered the temp sensor online because no one had it in stock near me. I don't understand why ALL parts stores don't stock parts for '89 MJ's.....it just beats all. :laugh2:

While I was at it, I also ordered a new set of lock cylinders for the doors because using a screw driver to get in the driver door didn't seem all that secure to me. I've never replaced those before so looks like it's time to do some searching and reading...

Be careful with those lock cylinders because they may not fit the setup for your door. They could be for a newer Cherokee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Dammerung said:

Be careful with those lock cylinders because they may not fit the setup for your door. They could be for a newer Cherokee.

I've heard and read stories but I'm hopeful these will work. If not, I'll try again...

Best part is they are dirt cheap, but still have to be coded. Whats odd is there are black ring Renix era cylinders.

I thought all of those were chrome color. That is interesting. Since the handle is black and all the trim is black, black rings would be cool.

So I got a little work done on it today before the bottom fell out of the sky.

I replaced the heater hoses on it because the ones on it were pieced and rough looking.

Old ones:

Old_HEater_Hoses.jpg

New Ones:

New_Heater_Hoses.jpg

The routing when I get the plastic holders from a late model XJ. When I put the valve cover on I used the bolts with the studs on top so I could add the holders.

Routing_Hoses.jpg

I also put in 1/2 of the new vacuum lines. The boot and grommet at the valve cover had deteriorated and was almost gone. Hopefully no more leaking oil.

Vacuum_Hoses.jpg

It's not much, but I replaced the broken tailgate handle with one that's well, not broken. So now I have a functioning tailgate again.

Tailgate Handle.jpg

Last but not least I replaced the aftermarket temp gauge sender with the factory one so now my factory temp gauge works as it should. I've got all the gauges working now except the fuel gauge and I still have to figure that one out.

Gauges.jpg