Project: Timber

Almost forgot...I added license plate LED lights to the bumper too. I didn't get to wire them in because of the rain but if I get the chance tomorrow I will. I have the factory harness but I don't want to cut or splice in it so I will probably just make a new one and keep the original if I ever go back to the factory step bumper.

License_Plate_Light.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the windows tinted this week because I really like the look of tinted windows. I'll take some pics this weekend if it doesn't rain. I got a new radio in for it too and hopefully I can get that put in. No, it's not a factory radio, it's an aftermarket but that's ok with me. My truck's not gonna be all original like many are even though I do like the look of them.

Just curious, has anyone put in replacement LED dash lights?

52 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

Yes, I've put LEDs in my dashes, I like the white look of them, however, mine are not dimmable. Here's a list of lights needed (props to Don aka Hornbrod RIP)

LightBulbPartNumbers.png.2978aed7d6696ee7328d35899ee80ca8.png

What a list. This is awesome!

I need to find some dimmable LED's for the cluster. Thanks!

This morning wasn't a good morning for the MJ. When I went outside to leave for work it was 18*. It hasn't been that cold in a while. Anyway, Jeep fired right up no issues. Headed down the road and in less than a mile the temp gauge was up to 160 or so. Back story, when I got the truck it had the lights for the gauges and there was an aftermarket temp gauge mounted in the dash. The truck never ran over 160, ever. I just figured it had a 160* thermostat in it from the PO. I kept going and the gauge kept climbing. Once it hit 210 I turned around and headed back home because I knew something was wrong. I made it back home and when I pulled into my spot, something let go, steam and antifreeze was going every where. At this point I needed to get on to work so I jumped in the farm truck and headed on. I'm not sure what happened but all the antifreeze was coming from the drivers side. More back story, the PO had converted it from a closed system to an open system. It'll be dark when I get home plus 20* again so it'll be tomorrow or later before I can actually see what happened.

My thought is the thermostat stuck closed then blew the lower hose out. I hope it's that simple....

My power steering pump came in today. That was gonna be my next project to go through and update all the components. Now I’m just waiting on my ZJ gearbox to get rebuilt and sent back to me.

48da123d93fc611eea4a75acef6fead3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got another piece of the puzzle tonight. A new thermostat!!!! It’s the little things that mean a lot.....

d7ccb02ba6ddd922d067c1e982140a5a.jpg

Now for good weather and no rain so I can get a work day on the ole MJ.

You asked about the later front axle beam or WJ brakes. I vote WJ knuckles with the good brakes as well as a WJ dual diaphragm booster and master. I'm not sue what size wheels you have now, but the WJ front brakes might not take a 15 inch aluminum wheel due to clearance issues. Just something to consider. I have a set of WJ knuckles in storage for a future 2wd project. Keep up the good work! 

This morning was a good morning. Got the lower radiator hose replaced and put the new thermostat in. The temp gauge mows read correct. It runs right below 200* I have heat in the cab too, much more than I did have before. The old thermostat was a 195* but I didn’t think it was. It had two holes drilled it, I guess for air.
bae67b256f02c50c418dae2952f65358.jpg

My temp gauge runs normal.
4c13a92917475d6637850a4c54b6d5c8.jpg

Not a good picture but you can see the gauge.

Hopefully I’ll get more done tomorrow.

I didn't get much done yesterday but I was able to "refresh" the ground behind the driver tail light and even ran a jumper wire down to the frame.

I do have an issue with the reverse lights, the issue is, I don't have any. The bulbs are new on both sides but still nothing. I'm not even sure where to start. The NSS is good in the fact that the truck won't start in drive or reverse. Do the reverse lights originate there or somewhere else?

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

A dirty NSS can cause flaky reverse lights before it gets bad enough to prevent starting.

This could be the case but the lights haven't worked since I got the truck. Do they originate here?

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Does your fuse box have a 7.5amp fuse under the label of trans?

Good question, of hand, I don't know. I will check and see though. I take it that power to the lights runs through this fuse?

13 minutes ago, High2by said:

Good question, of hand, I don't know. I will check and see though. I take it that power to the lights runs through this fuse?

I know on the manual trans that's where the lights run into and I have popped that fuse several times before finding a bare wire touching the exhaust pipe.

24 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I know on the manual trans that's where the lights run into and I have popped that fuse several times before finding a bare wire touching the exhaust pipe.

10-4.

I got a new rear harness, thanks 500 MJ,  because the PO hacked into the existing one to run trailer lights but I haven't had the chance to put it in. The "hack" job may be the culprit. The only rear lights affected are the reverse lights, all other lights work as they should.

1 hour ago, High2by said:

This could be the case but the lights haven't worked since I got the truck. Do they originate here?

It's the first place I would look. Here's the entire reverse lamp circuit from the '90 FSM, but it should be practically identical on an '89.

Capture.JPG.13bf2f928838fd957352340ef084836a.JPG

Capture.JPG.f52d7403468614fb773553fea9ba5522.JPG

The relevant part of this is circuit 75. That should be hot any time the trans is in reverse. Two ways to check it at the NSS.

Unplug the NSS, and check resistance between pins A and E of the connector with the trans in reverse. If there is high resistance or an open circuit, clean the NSS. Otherwise, look for a wiring break somewhere else.

The connector can also be backprobed while still plugged in - in that case, you'd be looking for 12V on pin E while in reverse.

You could also go straight to the rear harness and check there. Anything labeled "75" should be hot with the trans in reverse.

Capture.JPG

Does your fuse box have a 7.5amp fuse under the label of trans?

I was able to check the fuse and even though the fuse is technically good meaning current will pass through it, the power side socket is burned up. Almost gone. There is enough left that the fuse does make contact but it can’t be good.

9071722433c3ea43d7cce36e69546060.jpg

I blew the image up so it’s not the clearest.

How in the world to I fix that?

You could also go straight to the rear harness and check there. Anything labeled "75" should be hot with the trans in reverse.
Capture.JPG.1f52215eaf68f9052afa5cb666b1763a.JPG

I’ll start at the back and work my way forward. Thanks for these schematics. I’ll use them to find the problem.....hopefully.

35 minutes ago, High2by said:

I was able to check the fuse and even though the fuse is technically good meaning current will pass through it, the power side socket is burned up. Almost gone. There is enough left that the fuse does make contact but it can’t be good.

9071722433c3ea43d7cce36e69546060.jpg

I blew the image up so it’s not the clearest.

How in the world to I fix that?

Yeah... that's not good. If you don't fix that, it'll be giving you headaches for years. Are any of the other terminals damaged like this?

The terminals are GM Pak-Con terminals. Since the truck is an auto, the fusebox hasn't been melted by clutch fluid, so you should be just fine replacing the individual terminals inside. There are a number of online sellers selling these terminals in the various types used by our fuseboxes.

Well, this was another bad morning for the MJ. When I left the house this morning the Volt gauge was a little low but I figured with the fog and the dampness it was still good to go. I got a couple miles from the house and the gauge had dropped to 9 and was playing in the red area on the gauge. I stopped and check the battery cables and the wires to the alternator and I couldn't find any issues with them so I turned around and headed back home, turning off everything I didn't have to have. I'm guessing the alternator is gone but I will need to test it to make sure.

As far as the fuse issue from last night, I didn't do anything else to the truck but pull that fuse then put it back in the block, so what are the odds that that had anything to do with the alternator???? I'm guessing none????

If I do need an alternator any suggestions on which one? I'm not a fan of the rebuilt ones at a box store. I do have a local guy that can rebuild it that has always done a good job but the time frame isn't desirable. Thoughts?

Well, this was another bad morning for the MJ. When I left the house this morning the Volt gauge was a little low but I figured with the fog and the dampness it was still good to go. I got a couple miles from the house and the gauge had dropped to 9 and was playing in the red area on the gauge. I stopped and check the battery cables and the wires to the alternator and I couldn't find any issues with them so I turned around and headed back home, turning off everything I didn't have to have. I'm guessing the alternator is gone but I will need to test it to make sure.

As far as the fuse issue from last night, I didn't do anything else to the truck but pull that fuse then put it back in the block, so what are the odds that that had anything to do with the alternator???? I'm guessing none????

If I do need an alternator any suggestions on which one? I'm not a fan of the rebuilt ones at a box store. I do have a local guy that can rebuild it that has always done a good job but the time frame isn't desirable. Thoughts?

Maybe your regulator is shot. My alternator has the same issue and barely makes enough to charge my battery at a decent rate.

4 minutes ago, Dammerung said:

Maybe your regulator is shot. My alternator has the same issue and barely makes enough to charge my battery at a decent rate.

I thought it had an internal regulator, no?

Santa came early or late, I guess it depends on how you look at it.

87f0d590609deb37808852a7644c6919.jpg

New lock cylinders.

42067bc3c6c1cc0ed41be7d7aa22930a.jpg

New wiper stalk.

ce98f3234ce7b2a8677547b1643d611a.jpg

New outside lighting.

2cb2f7125253f01f1fbb410f42329e97.jpg

New inside lighting.

11df83aca29c70f9dc0e4495c23ed6d2.jpg

New inside trim pieces.

35db40f6385ede3d9325f843e9faa0a3.jpg

Keep in mind “new” means different things to different people.