Almost Ol' Reliable

Whats up guys, guess its time to start a build sheet so I can look back.

Bought a 1990 4.0, 4x4, AW4, D44, MJ with Metric Ton Package in May 2018 (212k miles). Had to be towed home, missed an interview because tow truck driver decided to run errands.....3 hours later (thought it had been stolen, wouldnt answer phone). Anyway it was rough when I got it, brakes nonexistant, oil pressure low and erratic. Only had 10 days to get in inspected(no driveway) fixed what I could and then had a garage take care of the rest(bill wasnt as bad as I thought itd be) they got the brakes working and switch the oil filter to a WIX, pressure evened out. Passed inspection, and now it takes up all my free time (ask my wife.....).

Overall goal is to have something fun, but mostly reliable. As of now I drive it to work once a week (70 miles round trip) without fear. 

So far.....

Changed stock items -windshield, hood latch, brakes, belt/idle pulley, exhaust (stock with thrush muffler), trans mount, battery, alternator, vaccum hoses, blower, TPS and CPS.

Upgrade items-  746 fuel injectors, Meanlemons 60mm throttle body and battery cables, Crown Auto HD Steering Kit- RT21004, Gauge cluster with RPM tach and sensors,  31x10.5 General Grabber A/TX(some rubbing full turn),

AND completed Cruisers Tips- 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 ,11, 14, 18, 19, 22, 23, 37

To do list- Rust removal, floor pans.

At least a 3 inch lift....

20191016_095531.jpg

MJs rot from the inside-out.  :(  and inside the bedsides, inside the rockers, and inside the frames are... difficult to deal with. 

primer is not a sealer and thus not a final coat.  you must hit it with a paint too. :L: 

• 2 weeks later...

Had a small coolant leak. After driving(up to temp) and turning it off, once it sat for awhile it would leave a small puddle under the jeep. Never saw where it was leaking from, but guessing the lower radiator hose.

Anyways decided to just do it all, swapped out water pump, thermostat (stant), thermostat housing, fan clutch, and upper and lower radiator hose.

Before temp was well below the 210 mark....guessing 190ish. Now it is just past 210, if I turn on the heat, it drops to 210 exactly...........from what i see (searches) this seem normal. Any input? 

Positive note- heat blew warm before, now is hot.

210 is within normal operating range.  You may have had a lower temp thermostat in there previously that started cooling earlier.  It doesn't always work (usually just means it takes longer to get "up to stabilized temperature").  My 01 XJ and the 91 MJ (pre-LS) both ran between 195-210ish pretty consistently without issues.  I'd only worry if it started to get up to 220-230 range consistently.

Big morning, finally got rid of all the steering slop and it drives awesome now. (I cheated and turned the power steering adjustment allen, if it goes it goes, that other way looks very time consuming).

Engine temp is constant, dash shows between 210 and I think 225. Infrared therm. Shows 150ish at thermostat housing and 185 at big hose going off it. 

And got a freebie finally, oil gauge pegged while driving, when I installed new gauge cluster tore some of the copper ribbon, slid in some wire, works but always in the back of my mind. When the oil gauge pegged I figured that came undone, (ugh taking apart gauge cluster again.....let's say it would of stayed like that for awhile), but the oil sender unit wire had just popped off.

It's the small things in life haha, so back to driving her daily again after her sitting for .....3 weeks? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up a new set of seats! Pretty good condition, bolted right in, xj buckets that had the mj brackets installed already. Stripping has been taking awhile, the rubber covering is by far the worst part, but got most of it. Once I found rust under some of it I decided to get it all out. Slow but steady....
71b82ef4fc16085186c420089aac7a6e.jpged5a5b97761e9a77c93106ded214f547.jpg94c50821024ee98426e9e42c7491830f.jpg5fb71ea503b3b25d7d316988e7eb721e.jpgc943795bfcda6cddd83ebf89d57a3bc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Took a break on mj, friend gave me a 6v 1990 power wheels jeep safari. No battery or key. Upgraded to a 12v 20amph battery and switch that works. Gonna be nephews 2nd bday present. ccabed0077ec4acbf312c740ba9cef63.jpg46a89ffe3bb8cc43461de973d172e2a7.jpg15e4ffb46bd4db82c7b4f139691ce1b8.jpg

• 2 months later...

Yea, seized in metal sleeve, got passenger side out, but need new u hardware also, ubolts, bolts. Plates are good. Lining that center pin up is a pain also, any tricks?

1 minute ago, nknapp16 said:

Lining that center pin up is a pain also, any tricks?

When I got a leaf spring from generalspring, the alignment pin was way too thick to fit in the hole, so I had to use the old pin to get it to line up correctly. That was the problem I had.

• 2 weeks later...