Crash course on shipping a rear slider window.

mfpdm

Well this is kinda a how-to. You be the judge.

I sold my rear slider to Cole so I had to figure out how to get it to him in one piece. I've see windows at the dealership in crates, so I figure we'll start there.

I went to the Depot and picked up two 1X4X8's. Using my router table, I put a 1/4 in. notch down the center of each board.

I then cut two lengths at 60 in. and four at 14 in. and basically made a frame for the window.

Sit's in the notch real nice. :thumbsup:

Since I had some spare 1X2 laying around I made four more 14 in. pieces to add some extra protection.

I used 2 in. deck screws to put it all together. Pre-drilled the holes so the wood wouldn't split.

Now I probably could have shipped it like that, but I wanted to give it some extra protection. Plan is to cover it with cardboard.....

....by using this.

I layed it out on the card board, and figured some foam would help keep the cardboard's shape so I broke out some foam from the old Xbox carton and my foam cutting tool.

Well as luck would have it, the staples were not long enough :headpop: and it's too late to go back to the Depot. :wall: I really want this to ship in the morning so I did what any man would do. Just Duct it. :wrench:

Duct tape is like Lays potato chips, you just can't stop until the bag (roll in this case) is empty. :D

We'll know in a couple of days but I say it will make it there just fine. jamminz.gif

Who are you using to ship it? The last 8 weeks the stuff that has been arriving on the dock at work from UPS looks like they have drug it behind the truck for about 5 miles :nuts: A lot of them has been broken open with stuff sticking out and others look round. Bad thing it's all computer items :headpop:

I like my mail man, when I get a box he will pull in the drive and walk it up to the door like it has eggs in it:rock on:

mf, did you have 2 split rears or somethin? what are you putting in yours? a power slider?

Power Slider

That's the plan right now. I have a auto glass company that said they should be able to get me one. It's just a little pricey. :eek: If not I think we may go with a solid window seeing how it will have AC when we're done.

Who are you using to ship it?

Using FedEX. For some reason their prices and delivery times have been better than UPS. I ask the guy at the counter yesterday if they were in a price war with UPS and he said no but I was one of numerous people that have asked him that lately.

I can build a power slider out of a 3-pane stock mj rear window. haven't done the mechanics of it yet, but I will be doing that soon using a power window motor and track.

and that cost me all of $10 and some nicely done engineering. :D

Was thinking of trying to modify a full power window to fit in there like some of the newer trucks. It could be done but would take a little more brain power than I can generate. umn.gif

Just make sure Fed Ex's insurance that you purchase will cover it, since you packed it yourself. I know the bastids at UPS won't cover anything unless they package it (and charge you up the wazoo for it......)

I hate UPS.....

Jeff

I started using FedEx about 4yrs ago after UPS crushed a package flat and then took 3 weeks to refund the $$. And even back then FedEx was a lot less to ship and could get items from CA to Ohio in one less day. About 6 months ago FedEx set me up with my own account and I can do everything on line and just give the package to the driver that delivers to work.

They even paid for a damaged box with in 3 days when both FedEx and I thought the guy I sent the box to was out to scam them. Which he did :mad:

That looks great. I think i will recieve it in one piece after that stand up job. don't worry about not getting it out when you wanted you made up for that by a long shot on packing it. Thats a stand up job. Thanks for taking the extra effort.

BTW i will let everyone know how it comes out.

Cole

And the verdict is in............

It made it without a scratch if you want pic proof ill send it but it made it today to my door with just a few scuffs on the tape but that can't hurt Duct tape anyway. Great package thanks again.

Cole

Who are you using to ship it? The last 8 weeks the stuff that has been arriving on the dock at work from UPS looks like they have drug it behind the truck for about 5 miles :nuts: A lot of them has been broken open with stuff sticking out and others look round. Bad thing it's all computer items :headpop:

I like my mail man, when I get a box he will pull in the drive and walk it up to the door like it has eggs in it:rock on:

haha, thats why i ship things like the insides of a t-case jamminz.gif try to kick that one to a better place on the truck ;) 61lbs of straight metal :brows:

• 6 months later...
mf, did you have 2 split rears or somethin? what are you putting in yours? a power slider?

Power Slider

That's the plan right now. I have a auto glass company that said they should be able to get me one. It's just a little pricey. :eek: If not I think we may go with a solid window seeing how it will have AC when we're done.

Did you ever get the power slider installed? Pictures?

i'll be using you're write up in a few days...

Worked out great for me. Hope you have the same luck.:thumbsup:

Did you ever get the power slider installed? Pictures?

Nope. Don't think I'll be finding one anytime soon seeing how they stop making them. Who knows, I might get lucky. :brows:

:cheers: