Saginaw....

Despite these columns being everywhere, I can’t help to feel that I got the most GM column out of all the ones AMC purchased. Since day one it bugged me I had a GM ignition key to an AMC vehicle. Granted I understand that AMC bought GM parts and I get that. But the real problem here is this:

4D2A82C2-A52C-41B7-A07A-20CF3D5F34C9.jpeg.2c624b41d2eba204dfc443eca8381560.jpeg

295398F8-9A20-434D-86EA-EAEC6F5F34DC.jpeg.b01924e4f5610a05d047771ca0bcb621.jpeg

This nut threads on but not as well as I’d like. I tried the replacement crown nut that traces to the MoPar number. No dice. Threads on for a little bit until it gets tight and starts rethreading the nut. 

So has anyone ever ran into this issue? The threads are almost gone on this nut and wondering if I should try the GM nut and see if that will work? Also it almost looks like I need to rethread the threads on the column. Does anyone have some tap and dye sizes that will work best to clean up the threads and straighten them out?

Hate how this nut barely holds the steering wheel in place. 

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Despite these columns being everywhere, I can’t help to feel that I got the most GM column out of all the ones AMC purchased. Since day one it bugged me I had a GM ignition key to an AMC vehicle. Granted I understand that AMC bought GM parts and I get that. But the real problem here is this:

4D2A82C2-A52C-41B7-A07A-20CF3D5F34C9.jpeg.2c624b41d2eba204dfc443eca8381560.jpeg

295398F8-9A20-434D-86EA-EAEC6F5F34DC.jpeg.b01924e4f5610a05d047771ca0bcb621.jpeg

This nut threads on but not as well as I’d like. I tried the replacement crown nut that traces to the MoPar number. No dice. Threads on for a little bit until it gets tight and starts rethreading the nut. 

So has anyone ever ran into this issue? The threads are almost gone on this nut and wondering if I should try the GM nut and see if that will work? Also it almost looks like I need to rethread the threads on the column. Does anyone have some tap and dye sizes that will work best to clean up the threads and straighten them out?

Hate how this nut barely holds the steering wheel in place. 

How about going to a junkyard and pulling a couple of nuts off older GM vehicles?   I am pretty sure they all have the same thread.

1 hour ago, cruiser54 said:

Put a little Never Seize on the nut and SLOWLY thread it on, backing up every once in a while. The threads on the column are chingered. 

I could do that but what I want is to have the nut actually tighten and snug the wheel to where the wheel will not wobble. The nut is at that point where a size up rethread would make it useable again. I can tighten the nut but it will continuously spin which the never seize would fix that but not snugging the wheel down. 

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Problem is I can’t seem to find salvage or junk yards very well on maps. 

I use google maps and type in "junkyard" or "self serve junkyard".  then just zoom and scroll around to find what's nearby or along your travel route.  :L:  

You are in Glendale.  There is a place over there that specializes in Jeep used parts.  It's called AMC 4x4 Salvage on W. Belmont Ave.   I got a front sway bar and a set of ZJ disc brake parts from them in the past.   I am pretty sure they will have a steering column nut.

Alternatively, you can go to Glendale Auto Parts on W. Orangewood Ave. and scrounge a nut from a GM vehicle using that same older style column.

1 minute ago, AZJeff said:

It's called AMC 4x4 Salvage on W. Belmont Ave

Oh yea. I frequent them all the fricken time. They practically know me. I thought about making a trip and looking but they value their columns and don’t like parting with a lot of the pieces. 

I’ll have to look into that Glendale one though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok problem solved. I bought a large diameter dap and dye set and took one of the replacement steering wheel nuts and matched it and then cut the threads to match the nut. Now I no longer have a wibbly wobbly steering wheel. Sorry that is not your fix adjustable steering guys.

1 minute ago, Minuit said:

And that's why you use a proper steering wheel puller tool to pull the wheel off.

Actually yes. But the threads were screwed up when I got her. Who ever did front end work screwed up the alignment on the steering wheel and broke the original cam canceller horn spring and just shoved the wheel back on straight without straightening the whole steering. So someone messed the threads up before me. I was solving an age old problem that existed before my ownership. Course I don't understand how you mess threads up. Screw off bolt, pull off steering wheel, replace steering wheel, tighten down bolt. I doubt it was my grandfather but my dad always say "Who knows what your grandfather did to that truck".

10 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Actually yes. But the threads were screwed up when I got her. Who ever did front end work screwed up the alignment on the steering wheel and broke the original cam canceller horn spring and just shoved the wheel back on straight without straightening the whole steering. So someone messed the threads up before me. I was solving an age old problem that existed before my ownership. Course I don't understand how you mess threads up. Screw off bolt, pull off steering wheel, replace steering wheel, tighten down bolt. I doubt it was my grandfather but my dad always say "Who knows what your grandfather did to that truck".

The threads most likely got chowdered in the process of pulling the wheel without using a tool to properly center on the tip of the column. The tip of the column shaft should have a lot more material on it.

While we're on the subject, here's my preferred tool set for working on these GM steering columns. https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7927A-Steering-Remover-Compressor/dp/B000XSCEMQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=otc+steering+column&qid=1573257226&sr=8-1