What’s it worth??

texaswrangler

I have a 88 Comanche pioneer long bed with 107k. She has issues but it had been sitting for about 5 years I replaced the fuel tank pump assembly filter lines ect oil change. Need vac lines ac work brakes and clutch master cylinder bled and paint job other than that she runs. I’m trying to see what it’s worth as is for sale vs fixed up minus paint 

4C3E42F0-3BF6-4832-A600-58BCEF17F808.jpeg

DADF1D90-4E9E-4B41-A4E1-092554CCA85C.jpeg

042E6BFB-DC46-46D1-A3F2-C01AE0C5515A.jpeg

0743AA0E-76D2-4F28-9CBB-D42452BAE793.jpeg

A17B697D-54C3-404A-826B-B431718638C3.jpeg

Wow. That's literally the twin to my truck.

1112339542_IMG_6492(2).JPG.f08a49aa3e910e1b79eb2876f887e96f.JPG

Damn near same paint wear and everything. Neat!

As far as value, It all depends. Rust is everything with these trucks. If it is clean and well maintained then it should fetch a decent price. And with the gladiator being a mockery to the Jeep truck heritage, value might increase a smidgen. 

Is this a truck you want to keep?  Is there a sentimental value to it?

I am an original owner for mine.  For several years, it was a "weekend to the hardware store" truckI only put a 1,000 miles on it for several years.  I started looking for a newer truck around 2010.   There was nothing that I liked as much as the MJ.  I realized that the price of a new truck was less than the cost of fixing the old MJ.  That included an engine rebuild and rust repair and painting.  It is now (again) my DD.  I love it and want it to last another 30+ years.

I have learned to perform most of the maintenance on it thanks to everyone one on ComancheClub.com (especially Cruiser and HornBro [RIP]).

Does your MJ have sentimental value - original owner or inherited from a relative?

Are you mechanically inclined?  Do you want to learn?

From the pictures you posted, I would QUICKLY pay you $1500 for it.  I think that price is low from the pictures.  Start higher and negotiate downward.

Or, look at it getting repaired - body and paint (~$5000 to $8000) depending on shop and amount of work required.  For maintenance issues, if you are willing to do your own work, the cost of parts and your time are all you need (oh, and tools...lots of tools.)  There is a personal satisfaction in doing things yourself.  There is a wealth of info on CC (and other forums) on fixing Jeeps.  Find those documents.  The 88 MJ electrical manual is available in the DIY section.  The Renix fuel system is downloadable there, also.  Download them, save them, print them out and read them (especially the Renix fuel system).

Good luck.  I hope you are able to keep it.  Keep up with CC and ask questions - lots of questions.  We're very friendly here and are willing to give you advice.  

87MJTIM thanks I am mechanically inclined and love working on stuff always have I called maaco and they said to color match it would be 1800 ish engine is in good shape just mostly cosmetic and some mechanical repair but not much thanks again I’ll kept y’all up to date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, texaswrangler said:

So asking 1500 as is with the work it needs is still too low of a price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too low?

I was going to suggest $1,500, with the caveat that I wouldn't expect it to sell quickly at that price.

It's an 88, so it has the Peugeot BA 10/5 transmission. (Assuming that it's a 6-cylinder). It doesn't need the clutch cylinder to be bled -- it needs either the master or slave (or both) to be replaced, along with the hydraulic line between them. You've said it needs vacuum lines, a/c work, and brakes. When you look at prices in guides like Kelly Blue Book, those prices are for vehicles in running condition. The cost of needed repairs is subtracted from the printed values.

That's a truck I would go look at for $1,500. And then I'd start bargaining down for the value of the needed clutch work, vacuum lines, brakes, and a/c work. I would not pay $1,500 for it in its current condition as described.

Since you said you are mechanically inclined and there is little rust I would say keep it. These trucks in good shape are getting harder and harder to find, I don't think you will regret it. Good luck! 

Buck.