coilover shocks for mj

Does anyone know a part # for coil spring assist shocks for a stock 89 comanche / pioneer package , I carry alot of weight with a equipment diesel fuel tank and want to put some coil spring assist shock absorbers on my truck to handle the extra weight when  the aux fuel tank is full to help with the load but can't seem to find any that bolt right up like stock shocks so any one know of a set for the rear and maybe the front also?

7 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

looks like no one is carrying those Monroe 58497 any more.  Struck out with Walmart, Amazon, and Rock Auto.  Must be discontinued.

That shock fits a 1968 Ford Econoline E-100. There probably aren't a lot of those on the road these days.

Try Monroe part number 58627. It has a tad less travel but the overall dimensions are close enough that it should work, and it has the correct L1 bushing on both ends. It's listed for an '87-'95 Nissan Pathfinder, rear.

If you strike out on the Monroe Load Levelers, you can always make your own coil-overs.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/rideeffex-4975/truck---towing-16781/trailer---towing-16648/trailer-accessories-16827/spring-helpers---shock-extenders-17443/c5f7fccb14e5/superior-rideeffex-load-control-springs/140490/4740164?pos=2

14-0490.jpg

The advantage to the ones you install yourself is that you can choose whether to build in some initial preload (lift), or set them up for no lift so they just add carrying capacity.

Here's the link to Monroe's shock dimension chart: http://www.monroe.com/downloads/install-instructions-guides/MonroeMountingLengthSpecifications.pdf

Based on several different Monroe and Rancho shocks listed as OEM replacements for the rear of the MJ, you need to look for a Load Leveler with a compressed length of approximately 13.5 to 14.5 inches and an extended length of approximately 22.25 to 23.25 inches. The end mounts with the open eye on both ends is the L1/L1, but the two numbers we've already provided are the only two L1/L1 Load Levelers that meet those dimensions.

So then what you need to do is find something with those approximate dimension that has end fittings that may be L1 (open eye) on one end and a cross pin (XP) on the other end, or even something with cross pins on both ends. You can remove the cross pins to use them on the MJ.

Look in the models with part numbers in the 58xxx series -- those are the Load Levelers. (Pages 17 and 18).

Number 58567 might work. It's an L1/L1 unit. Compressed length is 12.5", extended length 20.38". Check your truck to see if the distance between your upper and lower shock mounts falls between those numbers.

58574 has an L1 on one end and an XP7 on the other end. Compressed length is 13.38" and extended length is 21.25". Pretty close to what you need.

Other possibilities: 58594.

If you jump to page 97, you'll find a description of the different end mounting codes and dimension.

Thanks Eagle very informative , I found that advance auto can order the 58497 's  and I am about to order them  but first I want to look into the ACDELCO coil overs and see what they have to offer if anything . But thanks I think you help me solve the problem and I learned a lot from your help ! Keep on Jeep -in !

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2019 at 7:48 PM, Jeff's Jeep said:

Thanks Eagle very informative , I found that advance auto can order the 58497 's  and I am about to order them  but first I want to look into the ACDELCO coil overs and see what they have to offer if anything . But thanks I think you help me solve the problem and I learned a lot from your help ! Keep on Jeep -in !

Did you order the 58497s?  My local Advance Auto says they can't order them.  Not even in the system.

Well after much research I found some shocks that fit a dodge pick that are about the same to fit on a Comanche  but the eyelet holes are 11/16th of an inch instead of 5/8th of an inch like the Comanche so I have a set on order and found a guy who  can get bushings that will fit to  reduce the L2 eyelet hole 11/16" down to the L1  eyelet hole  5/8th of an inch on the Comanche.   The bushings are 3/4 of an inch OD and will have to be turned or sanded down to the 11/16th of an inch to fit the shocks first but should work making the shocks fit my Comanche . The shocks are from SHOCKWAREHOUSE.COM  and are 58484 Monroe Loadleveler shocks  and are about $80 a pair . The bushings to make them fit with a little work turning them down from 3/4" to 11/16" can be bought from a guy named Steve Dunning at   SDUN.AUTO@FRONTIER.COM  for about $14   Hope this helps anyone trying to find some coil overs for their Comanche

7 minutes ago, Jeff's Jeep said:

Well after much research I found some shocks that fit a dodge pick that are about the same to fit on a Comanche  but the eyelet holes are 11/16th of an inch instead of 5/8th of an inch like the Comanche so I have a set on order and found a guy who  can get bushings that will fit to  reduce the L2 eyelet hole 11/16" down to the L1  eyelet hole  5/8th of an inch on the Comanche.   The bushings are 3/4 of an inch OD and will have to be turned or sanded down to the 11/16th of an inch to fit the shocks first but should work making the shocks fit my Comanche . The shocks are from SHOCKWAREHOUSE.COM  and are 58484 Monroe Loadleveler shocks  and are about $80 a pair . The bushings to make them fit with a little work turning them down from 3/4" to 11/16" can be bought from a guy named Steve Dunning at   SDUN.AUTO@FRONTIER.COM  for about $14   Hope this helps anyone trying to find some coil overs for their Comanche

be sure to share some pics once it's all installed. :L: 

11 minutes ago, Jeff's Jeep said:

Good stuff, thanks!  I did find them for $59.42/pair on Amazon and Walmart can get them for that price too.

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58484-Adjust-Shock-Absorber/dp/B000CGEJJU/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=58484+monroe&qid=1570711355&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Just ordered mine through Walmart of all places, $63.58 with Indiana tax.  They get them in quicker than Amazon and I have a Walmart walking distance from my work. 

Crazy variation in prices everywhere I found them.  Costs for these shocks at auto parts stores are MUCH higher.   

FYI for those interested:

The Monroe 58484 has a 9-inch travel length.  Extended Length is 23.125" with compressed length at 14.125".  Looks like a good fit for my truck.  Anxious to have them installed.  I'll take pics and give a review. 

Good find, Jeff's Jeep!  Thanks man.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the pics. I got my 58484 Monroe Loadleveler shocks installed.  I did have to run to ACE Hardware and buy 4 brass bushings to bring the ID of the shock eyelets to the 5/8" needed.   I also had to bend over a gas tank edge with some plyers a little but it was no sweat.  See new clearance in the 3rd pic.  I have the larger MJ fuel tank, btw.  My brake line and rear wiring went overtop of the shock already.  I did have to hang the e-brake cable a bit further from the coils of the new shock, which I did after 3rd the pic was taken.

These shocks raised my rear end a couple of inches and I'm fine with it.  I also installed Bilstein 5100s, part #24-185622 up front.  I took a 100-mile trip to Indianapolis and I'm pleased.  I'm anxious to haul some wood in the back now and see how she performs compared to before.   

Of the 4 shocks I replaced, 3 were bad.  One had blow completely and was leaking, the other two extended/compressed inconsistantly.  This was well-needed replacement and I think a great upgrade. 

Looking for coilover rear shocks to boost your load capacity?  58484 Monroe's unlike the others, are available and seem to be your answer.  

shock1.jpg.64e7dd5e23707d6ed9af77b19fb25b79.jpg

shock.jpg.4892e2a2c59da51b0280f00f6ee3ecc5.jpg

shock2.jpg.8a5dc5f7caa05304654c713e43fdfdb5.jpg

6 hours ago, Eagle said:

Can we see a photo of the truck from a side view? The only thing I don't like is the 2-inch lift -- MJs already have a rake, so adding two inches of rear lift with a stock front isn't something I'd want to do.

Well, mine wasn't a stock height to begin with.  I also wouldn't say mine had any noticable rake before the install.  Previously, I had measured the lift by the PO to be 2" + up front and something like 1-3/4 + in the rear.  I may have to go find my old notes to confirm, but that sounds about right.  BTW, I'm rolling on 31 AT tires. 

Now that the Monroes are installed, I certainly have some rake, but I am very happy with it.  I don't feel it's excessive.  Just a bit higher in the back compared to the front and I think it makes it look better than before.  I didn't measure it so that's why I stated "a coupe of inches".  But I'd guess two.  I can certainly tell that tail sits up higher.  I picked up a small crate engine this weekend and definitely noticed the higher bed as I loaded.  

Pics don't always show perspective accurately, but here's an "after" shot:

lifted.jpg.972e40accd30e50389326ccb6b8ed09a.jpg

I would think that if one has a stock MJ, they probably are no longer at the original stock height by now.  I would suggest anyone interested in trying the Monroe 58484s, despite age, changes made by POs and other variables to expect them to add a little height back there.     

35 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

I would think that if one has a stock MJ, they probably are no longer at the original stock height by now. 

Why would you think that? I own three MJs, and they're all at stock height.