Pick & Pull in Rancho Cordova near Sacramento

Manche757

33 minutes ago, fiatslug87 said:

How is the steering column cover removed?

None of the colored plastic pieces on the column are remotely easy. Might worth the work for a rare color like Honey. About 45-60 minutes of work at a fast pace.

To remove the upper shroud, which is the bit with the ignition cylinder in it.

Remove steering wheel, lock plate cover, lock plate, lock plate spring, turn signal cancel cam, turn signal stalk assembly, hazard light handle, tilt lever if present, turn signal switch, key-in-cylinder sensor contact, high beam follower, ignition cylinder (T20? Torx for '90 and down, spring-loaded latch for '91 or newer). Upper housing is retained by three T30 bolts. Wiper switch generally stays with the upper shroud but can be removed separately. If wiper switch is to come out with the upper shroud, unplug it under the dash and thread it up through the column. The upper shroud also contains a bearing, at least on tilt columns.

The lower plastic is even worse, especially on a manual column.

4 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

It's not showing up in their inventory search. I usually get emails when Comanches hit the Pick N Pull, nothing on this one.

How is the steering column cover removed?

I'll let you in on a little secret.  Put in a search for AMC, not Jeep.  86-87 Comanches and 87 and older XJs will sometimes get listed as AMC.

18 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

It's not showing up in their inventory search. I usually get emails when Comanches hit the Pick N Pull, nothing on this one.

I first saw the MJ in the classified section here on CC.  I called the Pick & Pull in Rancho Cardova and spoke with someone there. They will not pull parts and ship them. I asked if there was an employee that would be interested in making a few bucks and doing it on their own.  I was told that they were prohibited from doing that and could be fired.  I asked if she could give me the name of someone that pulls parts for others. She said no and maybe I could try Craigslist for Sacramento.  Good grief.  Contrast that to the P&P here in Virginia Beach. A 94 XJ came in recently and I called to ask about it. I left work right away and went and looked at it  - and with no tools.  It had already been invaded but much of what I was looking for was still there.  I asked if there was someone that would pull parts and she gave me the name of someone that was on sight.  There are a few guys that make money for themselves by pulling parts for others,. I met one and asked him to pull the dash and other parts which he agreed to. I picked up the parts a couple days later (big rains storms but by putting it off there is a big chance of someone else getting it first).  No one has come forward to pull parts from the Rancho Cordova location.  I am 3,000 miles away.  Anyone have success in finding those that might be working on there own at far away P&Ps?  If so, how did you go about finding someome?

1 hour ago, Manche757 said:

Anyone have success in finding those that might be working on there own at far away P&Ps?  If so, how did you go about finding someome?

Interested in this, since going to junkyards is my hobby.  If someone sees something they want from Springfield, St Louis, or KC, I might could help.  Not sure what the going rate for this is, but St. L is a 5hr round trip and KC is 8 for me, so there would be significant cost in gas + parts cost + my fee + shipping.  

40 minutes ago, schardein said:

Interested in this, since going to junkyards is my hobby.  If someone sees something they want from Springfield, St Louis, or KC, I might could help.  Not sure what the going rate for this is, but St. L is a 5hr round trip and KC is 8 for me, so there would be significant cost in gas + parts cost + my fee + shipping.  

You are closest to Springfield?   (You have a good set of tools? :roflmao:)    There are several XJs in that area. Maybe one has the  honey interior that I am looking for.  My search of MJ's on Pick & Pulls only shows 3 in the whole country.  I hope that isn't all

30 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

You are closest to Springfield?   (You have a good set of tools? :roflmao:)    There are several XJs in that area. Maybe one has the  honey interior that I am looking for.  My search of MJ's on Pick & Pulls only shows 3 in the whole country.  I hope that isn't all

I am in Springfield at the PnP and Buddies U Pull at least once a month.  1.5 hours one way.  There is also a local place in Lebanon MO, about 45 min one way.  S&S U-Pull-it.

Tools?  See the Tool Talk post, haha.  2nd page.

15 minutes ago, schardein said:

Tools?  See the Tool Talk post, haha.  2nd page.

Can't be having someone use a pair of broken pliers and a rusty screwdriver.

Yes, I did see the tool thread and that is the reason I put the comment in about tools.  That thread looks like a contest about who has the best and biggest...err tool.

4 minutes ago, Manche757 said:

Yes, I did see the tool thread and that is the reason I put the comment in about tools.  That thread looks like a contest about who has the best and biggest...err tool.

Sorry, it went right over my head haha.