88 Chief

Some actual Tech!

I'm putting in a new windshield wiper motor. I decided to go with the 97+ motor since I read rumor it's better.  

Spoiler: It's probably not.  It looks exactly the same. Wiring positions for High and Low are swapped but don't let that deceive you like it did me.

The wiring changes at the connector to make things more fun so I'm including all colors.

Wiper motor wiring:

Old Harness ----- Old Motor ----- New Motor

Black -------------Black ------------ Black    (Atleast they kept the ground the same)

Blue /w white  ----- RED -----------RED     (LOW)

White /w Blk -----White------------Brown  (HIGH)

Green /w Blk-------Blue------------Green

Tan /w Blk ---------Gray -----------Blue

My old connectors were corroded so I swapped in weather packs. Always a fan of how well they crimp and keep water out.

20211210_125727.jpg.29882fd0c3291244e1eb83476f446f37.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Pete M said:

not sure I've ever heard of that one.  :eek:

Yeah I'm not sure what's up, maybe I can slide the console up a hair. Either way the AW4 swap is inevitable.

Just when I thought nothing could get worse after both of my vehicles breaking down the employee at

Oreilly's said "Hey, You've got a nice Toyota..."

I went there to get a new rad hose, I noticed it dripping while greasing up my tierods.

Ram is back now, it was a bad injector.

IMG_20211210_141853_089.jpg.9eec5010f21aae93b73d74b9b0bc875a.jpg

22 minutes ago, m2bandit said:

Yeah I'm not sure what's up, maybe I can slide the console up a hair. Either way the AW4 swap is inevitable.

Just when I thought nothing could get worse after both of my vehicles breaking down the employee at

Oreilly's said "Hey, You've got a nice Toyota..."

I went there to get a new rad hose, I noticed it dripping while greasing up my tierods.

Ram is back now, it was a bad injector.

IMG_20211210_141853_089.jpg.9eec5010f21aae93b73d74b9b0bc875a.jpg

Yeah great example of the knowledgeable people of your local auto parts store.  🙄 can I get jeep parts for my Toyota. :doh:

On 12/10/2021 at 8:00 PM, MiNi Beast said:

Yeah great example of the knowledgeable people of your local auto parts store.  🙄 can I get jeep parts for my Toyota. :doh:

I don't really blame the kids. I have a rule, Never go to oreilly without a part number.

If I need someone to look up a part or some wisdom I go to Napa.

Not sure how much differently they pay the staff. Oreilly seems to have new people every 6 months and Napa has the same old dude from when I was in high school.

8 minutes ago, m2bandit said:

I don't really blame the kids. I have a rule, Never go to oreilly without a part number.

If I need someone to look up a part or some wisdom I go to Napa.

Not sure how much differently they pay the staff. Oreilly seems to have new people every 6 months and Napa has the same old dude from when I was in high school.

I knew all the people from my old oreillys and they were willing to go the extra mile to find parts. here we have Napa on island and it’s brutal. Even walking in with a part number they still want the make and model. Sometimes I have no idea what make and mode the part number I need comes from. 

An 88 chief, that has been my unicorn truck for a while now. All black interior with power everything

I got the new bushings on the wiper linkage. Lithium greased what I could get to and used spray silicone grease for what I couldn't.

As far as getting the linkage back in aside from a lot of wiggling I remember this.

1. I rotated the motor shaft/lingage first to make the linkage as narrow as possible.

2. To get it in first slide it deep towards the passenger side until you can drop the motor in.
then slide it far drivers to rotate it then back to where it should be for the final bit of rotation pushing the wiper gears through their holes.

As far as improvement with the 97+ motor, I really don't think so. It's still a bit slow. I did refresh my ground too.

I used new 97+ Arms, They have a substantial arc to them. They only applied pressure to the outer 8 inches or so. It took some "tuning" to get them to apply even pressure throughout the blade. After gently taking some of the bend out a couple times I was able to get it to wipe evenly.

I think that will be the last bit until the exhaust I ordered 3 weeks ago finally shows up.

20211213_104410.jpg.09f9c15eeca5e34c4fc3b25e8a78de20.jpg

20211214_162359.jpg.73fc80d20e9e231bb83754fb5a9765d3.jpg

9 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I knew all the people from my old oreillys and they were willing to go the extra mile to find parts. here we have Napa on island and it’s brutal. Even walking in with a part number they still want the make and model. Sometimes I have no idea what make and mode the part number I need comes from. 

An 88 chief, that has been my unicorn truck for a while now. All black interior with power everything

That's weird maybe quality of staff just depends on the owner.  That would drive me nuts to have to give them make and model. Especially for my Cherokee that has more parts from other makes than Jeep.

I love the Chief look with that roll bar. I have a set of stock foglights I want to refurbish and stick up there. I've been toying with the idea of installing electric everything. I have electric doors for it in the back of my ram right now, but there are so many other things to do to improve quality of life first.

I would love all black interior but the gray is probably my next choice.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:10 PM, Pete M said:

not sure I've ever heard of that one.  :eek:

I must have wrote a response to this and not submitted it :dunno:

It definitely has a bit of pressure pulling it down. Hopefully I can make is better with a bit of wiggling of the console.

Either way the AW4 is inevitable, I'm just going to keep it stick as long as I can get away with.
Part of me missed having a stick but another part of me enjoyed having a free hand.

• 1 month later...

Not a very exciting update

I'm still waiting on my walker exhaust I ordered late November. So I haven't done much. 

Also waiting on a rear window.

I replaced the coolant hose that I noticed was leaking when my steering fell off. It had a bit of a slice going up it from the end.

The new gates one is nice with the wire loom stuff for the many rubby bits.

20220116_161323.jpg.3b135eb13879ff86bafc48b794869993.jpg

• 8 months later...

Hey @m2bandit,

My son and I are putting ac in his Comanche that did not have ac from the factory. We have a parts Cherokee for the swap and already took the engine side harness. I understand I need to swap out the section behind the dash that the controls plug into but I was under the impression that the rest of the wiring to the fuse block was there. 

Did you have to swap over the whole interior side? Our Comanche is a 1990 pioneer with the 4.0. The donor Cherokee is also 1990 but a Laredo (we're switching over the instrument panel too to get rid of the idiot lights).

On 10/12/2022 at 6:10 AM, mbpete said:

Thanks @m2bandit. I haven't found a consistent pin out diagram so I'll keep looking. There's a lot different between the pioneer commanche and the Laredo Cherokee, so worst case I'll swap the whole thing over. 

If you swap the whole thing you have to adapt the wiring for the taillights. I used a trailer light controller. I'm pretty sure that's the best route.

• 4 months later...

Haven't made much progress on MJ.

A new problem arose with the clutch fluid magically disappearing. Hasn't happened again since oddly enough.

I need some good weather and the throttle bracket for an aw4 swap.

I got 2.5 ft of snow and it's still coming down. I took the Comanche out for some open dif fun then mobbed around in the XJ.

XJ is really struggling to cold start. Hopefully I have some carb cleaner around here for the TB.

It's the only thing that can get me to town right now since my road is so steep and we have over 3ft more snow in the forecast.

IMG_3599.JPG.0fafb19af3b3f879175ff26f351e89ba.JPG

IMG_3600.JPG.f87493f4ee4102cad69f4b873285c2f0.JPG

IMG_3616.JPG.9e13e4ce156402b3d5945c889de3fba5.JPG