Questions about Comanche's for a Video

NEO auto

On 6/8/2019 at 8:18 PM, Eagle said:

They're around. I account for three. There's one in town about three miles from me -- it belongs to the father of a guy who used to post on NAXJA as REJeep (I think). There's a guy who works for the local office of the state D.O.T. who has one. The father of a girl who works at the local supermarket has (or had) one -- I haven't seen it recently. I've passed three more on to people in NAXJA who I hope fixed them up and kept them among the roster of viable vehicles.

And I see others around in my daily travels. Not a lot, but some.

Why did they die? Because Chrysler bought Jeep from AMC/Renault. Chrysler had the Dakota, and they didn't need or want a Jeep pickup stealing potential sales from the Dakota. Plus, the morons at AMC/Jeep never brought out an extended cab, and most buyers wanted either an extended cab or a 4-door crew cab. When I was vehicle shopping in 1988 I really wanted to buy a Comanche. But ... I needed protected interior space for carrying things, so I bought a Cherokee instead. I was committed to buying a Jeep. Other buyers who wanted a pickup and who wanted or needed more interior space simply had no choice -- they had to go to another brand. (And Chrysler hoped that would be Dodge, of course.)

Bingo, Eagle!! 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Eagle said:

If you get back to that (or those) scrap yard(s), please make note of the VIN numbers and report them.

I’m on it, here they are. I live close to some. The silver one in Ontario has no rear end anymore. I will have limited time, so If anyone wants anything really specific let me know. I am extremely in experienced so send over the exact part and a good idea of where exactly it is. Happy to help anyone keep there Comanche around. 

8CE73343-C940-468A-A54B-7EF347E7BDF0.png

14BD94E5-B546-49F3-BB57-94725B62ECD0.png

604795BB-8726-4BFD-BD6F-6CC99E1675AC.png

420DA89E-95BB-48C7-870C-8EAF1312F19E.png

36 minutes ago, CoastChief said:

I am extremely in experienced

Solve that problem by reading and paying attention. 

As to parts- every part is now becoming precious. 

You will learn what parts that guys cannot do without.......such as-

Rear flares..........front too now.

Cab vent covers and vents.

Relay covers with retainers. 

Tailgates. 

Mini consoles. 

TBI from 2.5s and the TBI hats. 

Any sensor you can grab. 

PS brackets and pulleys.

Rear window gaskets/trims/seals. Rear windows will become impossible to find in a couple of years. 

Tail lights..........of course. 

You get the idea.

Ebay............and yes, get every penny you can out of it. 

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

Tailgates. 

Mini consoles. 

Any sensor you can grab. 

PS brackets and pulleys.

Rear window gaskets/trims/seals. Rear windows will become impossible to find in a couple of years. 

You get the idea.

Thank you, all this information has been extremely enlightening. I read as much as I can on this forum after work.I just want to prepare for the worst I am really enjoying the truck. Working through Cruiser54s renix 1-5s to get started. Ill visit asap, its starting to get 80 degrees out. 

On 6/10/2019 at 9:23 PM, Pete M said:

and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the MJ was the only small 4wd truck with both a solid front axle and a fuel injected 6cyl at the same time.  :comanche:

That is exactly why I bought the Comanche. I bought mine from a dealer who had a Jeep Dealership and a Chev Dealership side by side. I drove the S10 with a V6 and throttle body injection and mushy suspension. Then I drove the Comanche 6cyl with straight fuel injection and firm suspension. The Comanche just corners better,  holds the road and is a lot peppier. There was really no comparison and they were both priced about the same. 

1. I think it was sales, 92 year not that many were sold.

2. Not that many, i have one, and have only seen 2 in person and 2 on craigslist locally in the ATL area.

EDIT: btw love your videos! you showed me how to redo my interior.

Edited by brsgrant
showing love.

15 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

Tailgates. 

Mini consoles. 

Any sensor you can grab. 

PS brackets and pulleys.

You get the idea.

As a newbie to MJs, you may not know what Jeep Driver is referring to.

In the Renix years (1986-1990 for the MJ, 1984-1990 for the XJ), there's a bank of three or four relays on the passenger side of the engine bay, near the shock tower and directly behind the battery. That's supposed to have a sort of oval(-ish) or kidney-shaped cover over it, which is retained by two plastic twist retainers. Over the years, those covers get lost or discarded. If you find any in a boneyard -- GRAB IT, with the retainers if possible.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Those clips look NOS.

They are. I had bolts in there that I might go back to. Actually thinking about making some bolts with a washer and a wing nut welded to it. The NOS retainers just feel brittle.

Just now, JMO413 said:

They are. I had bolts in there that I might go back to. Actually thinking about making some bolts with a washer and a wing nut welded to it. The NOS retainers just feel brittle.

I did that except I didn't weld them. I just stuck a bolt through and put a nut on  it and then put the cover on to give it some spacing then a washer and nut on each post. But neat. There is still some NOS floating around.