1988 MJ Pioneer RWD 4.0/AW4/D35

Drove about 20 miles today, moved a couch at that! No leaks from the valve cover where I replaced the vacuum hoses/grommets.

Found a side marker bulb in dad’s box of bulbs. Was hoping to find an 1157... no dice, a couple of 1157A’s though. I’ll pick one up from work tomorrow.

Exterior light woes are just about taken care of. Just need to figure out why the right side high beam isn’t functioning before moving onto the map lights.

Initially I was gonna leave the the MJ as is and just fix the few quirks it has to make it a decent daily. But I got to thinking about how a 97+ swap is a big project and is way out in the future. So, I created a couple of carts on teamcherokee and quadratec with stuff that when coupled with a new carpet, headliner, fender flares, and reupholstered bench seat, will refresh the interior and exterior and really bring this MJ back to it’s prime. Also thinking about losing the decals and getting a set of replica Pioneer decals.

Next update: replacing parking lamp sockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious. Have you taken out the right head light and tested it to see if the high beam gets power to it? It’s possible that just the low beam works but the high could not be. 

I’ve yet to do anything with the right high beam. Might pull it a part tonight after work. I’m hoping it’s not a power issue and hopefully just a bulb!

Parking brake cable broke (haven’t narrowed it down yet). Thanks to eagle and the following thread, I got the parking brake released.

https://comancheclub.com/topic/58741-parking-brake-stuck/?tab=comments#comment-602889

The two cables that split off to the wheels appear to be intact and I think it’s the main cable that’s broken.

Oil in the air filter is a sign of blowby (oil being pushed past the pistons, picked up by the PCV valve or crankcase breather, and dumped in the air filter.    You can drive it like that for a long time but it will only get worse with time, until you do a rebuild and get new piston rings. 

If you haven't yet, check out Cruisers tips.  If I remember right, I believe in them is the "cure" for oil in the filter (assuming your blowby isn't completely atrocious like my old 88)  should be the first link in the link in my signature.

If you haven't yet, check out Cruisers tips.  If I remember right, I believe in them is the "cure" for oil in the filter (assuming your blowby isn't completely atrocious like my old 88)  should be the first link in the link in my signature.

Thanks Pete.

Parking lamp sockets arrived from Quadratec. Plan to install them on Sunday. Have to make room to store the bench seat before I can rip the carpet up. Hoping to start that on Tuesday. Found a member with some stock rear fenders for 40 bucks, shipped. Will probably nab those and order the Euratecs this weekend.

Narrowed down the running list to the priorities:

Lights
Ground refresh
Moisture in cab
Suspension/alignment/steering
Parking brake
Driver side door check
Fuel leak
Blow by
Exhaust
Leaking seals

I’ve had the truck for 6 weeks. So far, I’ve driven it a thousand miles, compiled a list of known issues, and almost restored function to the lights. Gonna try and pick up some steam over these next few weeks.

I have been wanting to make a video in the DIY section for a while now. The Dorman 3157 replacement sockets are far superior to the 1157 type bulb. No more removing replacing adjusting and replacing sockets from now on for me!

The Dorman 85881 is a replacement socket that holds a 3157 bulb. I replaced the sockets on my 87 Comanche with these and work Wonderful! They fit perfectly and do not interfere even though there are a 90-degree design. They will work for the front and the rear and you won't have any more of the typical problems of the bulb not seating correctly.

The last picture is a reference of the original 1157 socket type. 39c2e44a72fc521f86ecd2b68184caa5.jpg67c1d815e0bd310cc19a2d65ca526845.jpg7162abd91446316074cdc67408dd523d.jpg45b95494f888049bc2173f2c6e510588.jpg5f37636d21588177d61aa589c995da22.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I don’t have the space or resources to store the seat and rip the carpet up, just yet. Stay tuned.

Tore the lights up again to test the right side hi beam. Just a bulb, thankfully.

Edit: gave everything a good whiff of contact cleaner and finished swapping the headlights, and sure enough the high beams on both sides are working.

b1fe115c31e2b2f46ce1e84ae58e85a4.jpg

Went for a drive before I tore the lights out. I’m not sure how bad the gas gauge is off, but it’s off. By a quarter of a tank, I think. When the tank is full, it goes well past the full indicator. It’s gotten just under the quarter tank mark twice and shut off on me while at an idle. Guess this would be a good time to take it out for a ride with a couple gallons in a can.

On 6/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, floridaftwman said:

Thanks for the heads up. One of the housings is broken and won’t stay in place. I figured I could sell off the good one(maybe even the broken one too) and it’ll pay for the Euratecs. Can you put LED bulbs in the Euratecs?

Yes