Born on dates

13 Legion

A special thank you goes out to eaglescout526. I just noticed this morning. He is systematically going through all the Comanches in our registry and updating them with a build date. Not just the month and year, but the actual day. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I for one am thankful! Now I know when her actual ‘birthday’ is. Cheers! :thanks:

8 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

No problem at all guys! I’m happy to provide all that info. 

Where are you getting the actual day of the build from?  I would have updated my entries if I knew where to get the info.

1 minute ago, kryptronic said:

Where are you getting the actual day of the build from?  I would have updated my entries if I knew where to get the info.

I work at a dealer and Chrysler has a parts catalogue program, figured I’d make some good use of it and provide some build dates for everyone in my free time. 

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I work at a dealer and Chrysler has a parts catalogue program, figured I’d make some good use of it and provide some build dates for everyone in my free time. 

Thank you for doing this.  Can't wait to see you go through the 92s.  I've really wanted to know how close mine (which I could only narrow down to March 1992) was to the end of the production run.

Just now, kryptronic said:

Thank you for doing this.  Can't wait to see you go through the 92s.  I've really wanted to know how close mine (which I could only narrow down to March 1992) was to the end of the production run.

Yea no problem at all. It’s been very neat and fun to see some of the production dates on a lot of builds. ‘88 for the registry stinks because it’s the longest registry we have, so it’ll take me a bit to get to ‘92. But I’ll get there. 

Just now, eaglescout526 said:

Yea no problem at all. It’s been very neat and fun to see some of the production dates on a lot of builds. ‘88 for the registry stinks because it’s the longest registry we have, so it’ll take me a bit to get to ‘92. But I’ll get there. 

Everybody appreciates it.  If you can catalog the dates with VINs and SWB/LWB with model (Base/Sportruck, Pioneer, Laredo, Chief, Eliminator) as you go in a spreadsheet on Google, share it with me when you're done.  I think with that data and a little creative scripting we could get some really good summary data together based on Jeep's published production numbers and our registry data.  I'd be happy to handle the programming piece if you provide the data.  We'd be able to fairly accurately estimate things like the number of SWB Pioneers built in 91, if you catch my drift.  Engine and trans data would be the icing on the cake.  

I love the idea. Unfortunately Chrysler’s data is pretty short on information like that(flood happened in a basement at AMC or Chrysler). Everything after ‘89 has a little bit more build info like paint colors and such but stuff prior is missing. I can double look at some VINs and see if I can collect anything in regards to bed lengths, but I can definitely get engine and trans info. 

If you need help putting anything in a spreadsheet or something, pm me. If you could put it in the sheet along with the year and vin, I could transfer it over here. 

This doesn't really fit anywhere, so I'll just put this out there as proof that I really can stretch even the most mundane topic ad nauseam. JMO's reading of my VIN came up with a build date of April 16, 1991. I've always had it as April 17, 1991 at 12:55, which I've always assumed to be in a 24-hour format, making the time 12:55 PM. However, if that time is actually 00:55 (12:55 AM) that would mean that my truck was just finished in the very earliest minutes of April 17 and most of the work was presumably done on the 16th.

In fact, here's the sheet.

Nn1bG01l.jpg

The top right corner says 4-17 12:55 as the "sheet printed" date. I assume this to be the time that the final build sheet is printed, the truck is finished and ready to head to the destination. So, that leaves the question: what does the "build date" correspond to in Chrysler's system? Clearly, there is a date as printed on the sheet, and then the one we can see in Chrysler's system, and they don't completely agree 100% with the build sheets.

So here are the possibilities that I came up with as I was standing in the shower thinking way too hard about this:

- My truck was finished at 12:55 AM, making it probable that all of the real work was finished by midnight on the 16th.

- The truck sat around for a while after being finished before the build sheet was printed.

- The build date in Chrysler's system corresponds to some event that happened in the process of building, such as when the trim tag is attached to the firewall. In my case, this would've happened some time on the 16th, and the truck was finished the next day.

- I'm a crazy loon that needs to have the computer taken away.

or some combination of the above, or something else I haven't thought about.

I'd love to hear any thoughts that anyone has on the matter.

Actually funny enough Jeremy I agree with what you have said. Some of the dates I found were a day off which makes me wonder if the door tag means completed that day and the build sheet date could mean the VIN was assigned all the options that came with the vehicle and the vehicle was completely finished and ready for sale.