Project Potimus

So I took the WJ to get an alignment yesterday. They mentioned that there was excessive camber. I had noticed it a little before and just thought it might be my eyes deceiving me. The ball joints are fine, no play in the wheel bearings either. So next thought was a bent axle housing, but the jeep was never in an accident let alone wheeled. Any thoughts on this? 

Here's the alignment report, my caster kind of sucks 
q00athu.png

• 2 months later...

Well it's been a while....not a whole lot to report other than I finally got a free weekend to work on somethings. One of the things I've been wanting to do was freshen up the headlights. 

They've been rough and at night can't see $h*t especially in the mountains where there is already limited light. 

wc3F7Cfl.jpg

e1JNIEol.jpg

e2Khn0Fl.jpg

Process was pretty easy and I like the results. 

bj99OLDl.jpg

6vRDYdCl.jpg

fA5Bmc2l.jpg

53 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

What’s the next mod for it?

I eventually need to get the lunchbox in and new ironman diff cover on. 

Once I save my pennies, I'll get a front winch bumper so I can mount the winch I have. 

Otherwise just tinkering with things here and there. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, Drahcir495 said:

I wish there were more of these builds. Is there a NAXJA like site for the Grand Cherokee ? I have only seen two lifted GC’s rolling around my area. I wish there were more. I am really happy that your sharing your project.

Thanks! Eventually I want to out the HP44 and 9 I have in it. Log arms and locked, but thatbwont be for a while. Right now just trying to keep it rolling. It's got a bad misfire I'm trying to figure out. As for forums theres a few. Mallcrawlin is good and more geared to serious builds. Jeepforum is probably the most active but there's some DUMB stuff that gets out on there. Last one was NAGCA but no one really on there. 

Well not a good post. Jeep took a dump the other day. Not fully sure what happened but it either threw a rocker arm or valve seat dropped. Having it towed back to the guy that rebuilt it and see what he says. I did pick up some of these https://rockerlocks.com/index.html

Guess we will see what happens. 

• 1 month later...

Well been a bit but no news is good news. Dropped a valve seat and scored the top of the piston. Builder made sure to do everything to prevent it but guess just a total fluke. Hes replacing the heads as well because it was the same cylinder nymber as before it was rebuilt, so he thinks the head is bad.  So engine has to be pulled and rebuilt. Really bummed but I guess better now than later. Would have preferred never but...... Having the rear axle seals replaced and lunchbox thrown in while its there too. I'd do it but just don't have the time right now. 

So hopefully in the next month I'll get it back. Driving my dads back up WJ with the 4.0. Gawd thing is slow in comparison. 

• 2 months later...

Well kind of but not really. So guy that rebuilt the engine is doing it over and taking FOOORRREEVVVEERRR to get this one finished. Had to have a come to Jesus talk the other with him. While understand warranty work isn't a money maker, I paid good money to get the engine rebuilt and it failed. Hopefully will have it back by the end of the month.  Need to get a new intake manifold, not having a ton of luck as the MOPAR are super expensive and at that point might as well do the 08+ intake but don't really want to spend any more on the pig. So searching around to see what I can find. 

• 1 month later...

ITS ALIVE!!!

After 6 months. Finally back on the road. Forgot how much more umph it has compared to the 4.0 WJ. Thing just goes. Engine fixed, new rear axle seals and lunchbox put in. Fixed the fn radio too so now it doesnt have some annoying crackle and replaced the cover. Much happier with the Metra fit versus the one from before. Indifferent on the lunchbox. Had one in my XJ and guess I forgot about what I didnt like..... click, click THUNK BANG click THUNK then smooth. Take some getting used to again but is nice to have the grip now in the dirt. 

Next up will be redoing the tranny cooling lines and putting an aux cooler. Then battery cables, getting either 2 or 4awg ones

20200606_161003.jpg

Been trying to figure out a bad tranny leak at the radiator. Thing was just spewing fluid everywhere. Figured out the lower connector wasnt fully on and is next to impossible to easily get too. Other issue was the tranny temp. Hasnt been that hot here really, 90 the other day was the highest in a while, but tranny was getting up to 200+. So decided now was the time to fix the leak and bypass the rad. Huge improvement! Temp now is about 150-160 under heavy load and no more leaks. Also had to fix an issue with my rear sway bar. After adding the ironman diff cover it wasnt playing well with the addco sway bar. Put some spacers on and fixed a bolt issue. Both IRO and addco dropped the ball on supplying any decent hardware so needed to deal with that. All good. Next up will be battery cables. 

20200613_102126.jpg

20200613_102117.jpg

20200613_172550.jpg

20200613_172535.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Nothing really new to add other than gathering parts to build version 2.0. So far got trailforged front and rear bumpers. I did get new axles I'll eventually put in. Running a HP44 and 9. Will probably go with 4.56's, zip lockers and 35's. Still need to get stiffners, what ever I plan to do for a suspension, right now leaning towards fabbing links and running TJ metal cloak coils to get about 6.5", and new steering. 

hppdoHRl.jpg

ApWbBSal.jpg

LktrYVtl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing huge, just a cosmetic update. At the JY last week I stumbled on a 01 gauge cluster with white faces. I like the look of it the only downside is that the odometer stays on the cluster so I gained 40k. 

IMG_20210517_125952245.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Got around to taking care of some things. First was the battery and installing new 2g wires. I ordered them a while ago from Jeepcables.com. Overall, really great kit super well built. My issues are the length of the alternator wire is about 2 ft too long and a few of the connections needed to be bent in order to fit. Install took about 2 hours of which most was tweaking things and taking out the old cables. Battery I upgraded to an Odyssey. After burning through a few of the Costco Interstates decided it was time. They just haven't lasted and I've been wanting to get a AGM battery. After everything is done really happy with it. Starts up quick regardless of temperature and idle has smoothed out as well.  Old wires were beat up so something to be excepted. 

q0atB81l.jpg

7kmgAGFl.jpg

Next up was finally replacing the entire power steering system. The old box was starting to get really sloppy and the pump was on it's way out. Not to mention the leaks from all the old hoses. For the pump I got a new ones from Lares. Ran one in my XJ and never had problems. For the box I went with a redhead. 

8615qXcl.jpg

Wyk4qaHl.jpg

Steering is drastically improved. Box is nice and tight and turns smooth. No more leaks either so huge win.