Windsheilds

Hey everyone, i think i know the answer to my own question, but I'm gunna ask anyway. My truck is a 1987 base model mj, and i need a windshield. So my question is will a windshield from any mj or xj fit? From information ive gathered on this site and on my own mjs and xjs are identical from and including the doors forward, correct? If they are not could anyone let me kno what is different or not and what year and models will fit my truck. Thanks for any info!

3 hours ago, JMO413 said:

A windshield from an XJ does fit you just need to use the XJ rubber seal.

Incorrect. The XJ didn't start using a rubber seal until years after the end of the Comanche. All the windshield glass is the same for both the XJ and the MJ. The rubber seal was used only on late XJs, the early XJs used the same stainless steel trim found on the MJs.

It is possible to use the rubber seal when installing a new windshield in an MJ, and I recommend doing so ... but it's not necessary. And the rubber is trim, not a gasket. It doesn't do anything to prevent leaks.

46 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Incorrect. The XJ didn't start using a rubber seal until years after the end of the Comanche. All the windshield glass is the same for both the XJ and the MJ. The rubber seal was used only on late XJs, the early XJs used the same stainless steel trim found on the MJs.

It is possible to use the rubber seal when installing a new windshield in an MJ, and I recommend doing so ... but it's not necessary. And the rubber is trim, not a gasket. It doesn't do anything to prevent leaks.

As someone who has no experience in removing and replacing windshields, I appreciate the clarification. I had always seen that the rubber trim on XJs did not always conform tightly in some places to the body area and wondered why they didn't leak more. That makes perfect sense now that it is only trim and not an actual seal. Thank you.

33 minutes ago, Nashmanche said:

As someone who has no experience in removing and replacing windshields, I appreciate the clarification. I had always seen that the rubber trim on XJs did not always conform tightly in some places to the body area and wondered why they didn't leak more. That makes perfect sense now that it is only trim and not an actual seal. Thank you.

While we're at it, it's the same for the rear windshield on at least the Comanche.

You will need to get the installer to grind off the locating tabs for the trim or it won't fit right. Also make sure they get the seal right down tight against the body or it will howl really bad at speed. Any gap and the wind gets under the seal. Like mine does!!

20190416_132404.jpg

4 hours ago, Limeyjeeper said:

You will need to get the installer to grind off the locating tabs for the trim or it won't fit right. Also make sure they get the seal right down tight against the body or it will howl really bad at speed. Any gap and the wind gets under the seal. Like mine does!!

20190416_132404.jpg

Mine still has the tabs, they can stay. My molding/gasket/trim what ever you want to call it sets perfectly right all the way around. When I was looking for a windshield the listing for a Comanche was unavailable to all three of our suppliers. So I ordered a windshield for a 99 XJ knowing it had the rubber molding. I really like the rubber compared to the metal trim it keeps the dirt and gunk from building up under it. 

After i saw the first couple replys to my question, i started to wonder about those locator pin tab things and how the rubber would fit with them. I do all my own work on my truck so i guess ill be cutting tabs or finding new trim to replace my bent trim. I really appreciate everyones feedback and info thanks again. Now to decide trim or rubber.

5 hours ago, JeepDreamer26 said:

After i saw the first couple replys to my question, i started to wonder about those locator pin tab things and how the rubber would fit with them. I do all my own work on my truck so i guess ill be cutting tabs or finding new trim to replace my bent trim. I really appreciate everyones feedback and info thanks again. Now to decide trim or rubber.

All I say after I tried to install a new back window is pay someone to do. I'm willing to do just about anything on anything, but after trying it once and fn it up I'll pay the $50-70 bucks for someone else to come out a do it right. If you haven't done a window before it's kind of a PITA. 

No i hear ya on that! Windows are a pita! But ive dun a few windsheilds b4 aswell as rear windows. I just did my mj rear window like 2months ago went from a leaky noisey sloder to a nice shiney leak free solid window. Like i have said ive done mu share or windows just never had to do anything like cut the alignment tabs! Thanks for the heads up tho!

It risks the windshield hitting the tabs and cracking as our MJ bodies flex a LOT. The installer has to position the windshield perfectly. There isn't much room. The 2 times I have had it done the installer always insisted on cutting off the tabs but each to their own.

5 hours ago, JeepDreamer26 said:

No i hear ya on that! Windows are a pita! But ive dun a few windsheilds b4 aswell as rear windows. I just did my mj rear window like 2months ago went from a leaky noisey sloder to a nice shiney leak free solid window. Like i have said ive done mu share or windows just never had to do anything like cut the alignment tabs! Thanks for the heads up tho!

Cool, good luck with it! 

Yes, you mention another thing i didn't think of it is damn close to those tabs, yeah mabey i will take your advice on this one. That way itll have a warranty too if it leaks! Thanks for the info again its little stuff like that i wouldnt have thot of till it was too late! Like i said i have dun windsheilds befor just not in a mj