Junkyard score

schardein

Was in Georgia for the CJ parts swap meet, and swung by the Birmingham Pull-a-Part before heading home to MO.  Online search said they had one 1991 XJ.  When I walked up, a glance told me the inside was completely gutted.  Walked around the driver side and saw this.  Went back for a wheel barrow, loaded it up and brought it home without even opening the tool bag.

NP242 

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

2 hours ago, schardein said:

242 has a Full Time 4wd setting that is great for winter driving with patches of ice/snow on the road.

the 242 is great for 365 everything. :D  The awd has been engaged for 99% of the last 10 years of my Libby's life. :comanche:

1 hour ago, Jeep Driver said:

Did you get the shifter?

The shifter handle?  No, they are the same for 231 & 242.

The shifter gate?  No, it's very common for the welded nuts to break off the bottom of the body which makes removing the shifter gate a PITA.  That's what happened on this one.  They are different for 231 & 242.  I have a spare 242 gate.  

The bucket assembly that sits in the body?  No, but I have a spare for when I convert my MJ to 4wd.

12 minutes ago, Knucklehead97 said:

Wish I had known you were in town. I live 15 minutes from that Pull A Part and coulda came and helped with any pulling :)) that's a good junkyard for XJ's, WJ's, and ZJ's. But sadly no MJ's.

I was in town long enough to pick up that transfer case, then on to MO!

But it would have been cool to link up and talk Jeeps a bit.  Interesting side note, the route I came in on, there was an MJ sitting about a block before the junkyard at what I think was a scrap metal place.  Then as I was leaving, I went the other way, and passed another MJ parked on the street next to a sign advertising bail bond.  I thought to myself, when was the last time I saw 2 random MJs that close together?

18 minutes ago, Knucklehead97 said:

Wish I had known you were in town. I live 15 minutes from that Pull A Part and coulda came and helped with any pulling :)) that's a good junkyard for XJ's, WJ's, and ZJ's. But sadly no MJ's.

Are there any other U Pull it type places around Birmingham?  I did a quick search but that was the only one that popped up.

2 hours ago, Pete M said:

the 242 is great for 365 everything. :D  The awd has been engaged for 99% of the last 10 years of my Libby's life. :comanche:

I had a 1989 XJ Wagoneer with the 242 case and really liked it.  I already have one for my future MJ 4x4 conversion, but now I am thinking of putting one in my 91 XJ as well!

1 hour ago, Minuit said:

As someone kinda sorta looking for this exact transfer case...

...you suck. :laugh:

Man, I stopped at junkyards in Nashville and Chattanooga on the way down.  Didn't realize I was so close to you.  I know where another 242 is.  If it is still there, I will have 3 and only need 2...

5 minutes ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

Is the 242 superior to the 231 or is just a matter of preference?

The 242 is basically a 231 but has full time 4wd as well that can be used on all road surfaces.  No advantage for an offroad only rig.

Just now, Dzimm said:

The 242 is basically a 231 but has full time 4wd as well that can be used on all road surfaces.  No advantage for an offroad only rig.

So does the 242 have 4x4 hi locked? 

It goes 

4hi part time

4hi full time 

4lo full time

Right?

Just now, ftpiercecracker1 said:

It goes 

4hi part time

4hi full time 

4lo full time

Right?

Yep. It's literally the 231 plus all wheel drive.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend I need 4WD for anything (I can count the number of times I've had a real need for 4WD in the past 7 years without taking my socks off), I just want to say I have it.

2 hours ago, ftpiercecracker1 said:

It goes 

4hi part time

4hi full time 

4lo full time

Right?

He's a picture I pulled off eBay.  4hi full time is the only full time gear.  4lo and 4hi part time should be the same as the 231 case.

2wd

4wd hi part time

4wd hi full time

N

4 lo part time

Screenshot_20190403-191859.png

20 hours ago, schardein said:

I was in town long enough to pick up that transfer case, then on to MO!

But it would have been cool to link up and talk Jeeps a bit.  Interesting side note, the route I came in on, there was an MJ sitting about a block before the junkyard at what I think was a scrap metal place.  Then as I was leaving, I went the other way, and passed another MJ parked on the street next to a sign advertising bail bond.  I thought to myself, when was the last time I saw 2 random MJs that close together?

I haven't seen those two. But I have found 2 sharp ones in Leeds (where I live). Left the owners a Comancheclub card with my number and username on them, haven't heard back though.  As far as other Junkyards around here, I haven't been able to find any other than the Pull A Part. I haven't went searching yet, though, since I just recently moved here and have been getting settled in.