Sentinel Headlights Install

I couldn’t find a write up on this and decided to create one. More photos will be added soon and wiring information. This is one of the easiest and fastest upgrades you can do. Here’s information from the owner’s manual on this feature.

.1A902B48-48F1-4A57-AF2D-D9DBF521D198.jpeg.b57e8f50461263c197e778b0ded702d8.jpeg

Photo Credit cruiser54.com

List of Parts Needed 

25 amp fuse

Timer relay part #56000636 or 56009324 located under the steering column mounted to the dash. Photo of relay

F38AFB9E-63CB-46F0-BC5E-AA69C0636B34.jpeg.5962bb1c2c6756b4c3f56a36744a5cd6.jpeg

Connector for the relay if your truck doesn’t have it already.

The Install

Step 1: Look under your dash and there should be a plug in place already that has nothing connected to it. Looks like this.

IMG_20190327_173411626.jpg.fcf5dcea795585961409c4f55105d749.jpg

Step 2: Plug timer relay into the plug and Velcro or bolt relay to the dash.

Step 3: Located on fuse box a spot that says HDLPDLY and add a 25 amp fuse to that location.

IMG_20190327_173315551.jpg.4bf871ae06ed427b952b57e1b0b91c8c.jpg

Testing for a successful install 

Step 1: Turn key to on

Step 2: Turn headlights on

Step 3: Turn key to off

Step 4: Turn headlights off

If the Install is successful, the headlights will stay on for 30 seconds.

Wiring Information  

Trouble Shooting Information 

Step 1: Make sure the module is fully plug in.

Step 2: Check HDLPDY fuse and if the fuse is bad replace with 25 amp fuse.

46 minutes ago, schardein said:

I did this to my MJ as soon as I got it, and don't remember having to add the fuse.  

I wonder if the Fuse Block was back-filled with all necessary fuses, regardless of what options were chosen by the customer.

1 hour ago, Ωhm said:

I wonder if the Fuse Block was back-filled with all necessary fuses, regardless of what options were chosen by the customer.

2 hours ago, schardein said:

I did this to my MJ as soon as I got it, and don't remember having to add the fuse.  

That could be a possibility but my truck didn’t have the fuse. So when I first installed it, the relay did nothing. Then by reading the fsm I realized it could be that fuse and look under my truck and saw I didn’t have one. I wrote that in the write up because someone could have the same issue as I did. Also it doesn’t hurt to leave a reminder to check the fuse when the relay is doing nothing.

44 minutes ago, schardein said:

It's definitely good info.  I personally have never heard of a delay relay going bad.  But I have heard someone say the one they added didn't work.  Now I suspect it was this missing fuse.

That fuse drove me nuts because I read none of the write up or threads that I could find on the delay relay said anything about the fuse. Then I finally read the manual and found out about the fuse. Also part of the reason why I did this write up is to let other people thinking about do this is to look at that fuse because I bet there are few people with the same issue.

51 minutes ago, SVPete said:

Either I got a bad one at the pull-a-part or (which I suspect) this doesn't work with the headlight harness upgrade?

Worked fine for me before and after the headlight harness.

Also, my '91 had the fuse.

21 hours ago, Minuit said:

Worked fine for me before and after the headlight harness.

Also, my '91 had the fuse.

The fuse was installed all these years (not sure why though...). Maybe I wasn't holding my tongue right. I'll probably swap it into the Cherokee and see if it works (since the Cherokee has this feature already).