Engine scan tools

87MJTIM

I am looking to get a better engine scan tool.  I purchased a Horror Freight scanner a few years back.  All it can tell me are the engine DTC codes.  I'd like to get something that can give me more info than just the P codes.  Obviously, this is not for my MJ or CJ.  I have a 05 Honda CRV and a 03 Chevy Sub.  I've had both vehicles in for service and the tech tells me about non-critical DTC in the computer.  My HF does not give me any of those codes.

I'd also like it to give running and operating info to detect potential issues.

One software I've seen used on the 'net is Autoenginuity.  The base unit starts around $750.  In order to get vehicle brand modules starts to get up to $1200.

Are there other scan tools/software for less $ but can do more than give me a P code?

I have a programmable cartridge for my MT2500 scanner that goes up to 2008 I believe. You'd need the OBD2 adapter for it and whatever "keys" go with the vehicle in question. It's been my experience that some GM vehicles don't require a key. I already had an MT2500 for the MJs. Otherwise I probably would use something newer.

There's an excellent phone app called Torque that interfaces with a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle that is very capable. I believe it only works on Android phones though.

I have a wireless OBD2 plug-in that I got on a sale from Amazon for maybe $15.  I use the OBD Fusion app on iOS with it.  The only downside is that you have to wirelessly connect to the plug-in and I think that cuts you off from data otherwise while you're using it.  I had pretty good luck finding registers on various forums to add to build custom dashboards for our '08 Escape Hybrid.  I haven't tried it on a Jeep.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 3:30 AM, Minuit said:

I have a programmable cartridge for my MT2500 scanner that goes up to 2008 I believe. You'd need the OBD2 adapter for it and whatever "keys" go with the vehicle in question. It's been my experience that some GM vehicles don't require a key. I already had an MT2500 for the MJs. Otherwise I probably would use something newer.

There's an excellent phone app called Torque that interfaces with a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle that is very capable. I believe it only works on Android phones though.

I’m looking for a MT2500 for my 87 Renix MJ. I found several adapters that connect to the diagnstic ports/connectors. Can you or anyone give me some info about cartridges that I could use with the Renix ir my 2005 4.0 LJ?

I think having a part number or at least a specific name from the cartridge will help me find the ones I need. Working from ebay descriptions from sellers who don’t know what they have is risky.

thanks

2 minutes ago, jamespwsullivan said:

I’m looking for a MT2500 for my 87 Renix MJ. I found several adapters that connect to the diagnstic ports/connectors. Can you or anyone give me some info about cartridges that I could use with the Renix ir my 2005 4.0 LJ?

I think having a part number or at least a specific name from the cartridge will help me find the ones I need. Working from ebay descriptions from sellers who don’t know what they have is risky.

thanks

The Renix diagnostic port adapter is JEEP-1 I believe. Any cartridge that covers domestics of that year should work. The 2005 will use an OBD2 adapter plus one of the "keys", sorry I don't know which. For that late a year I think you'll need one of the programmable cartridges. I have one that goes up to 2007 (works on the '89 and '91 too) but I think they updated them until 2009.

@Minuit Thanks for the quick response!  That's the number I have for the adapter but yours looks like a single connector and others I've seen picuters of are two separate conectors.  As long as the spacing is correct for the two it shouldn't matter.  AS far as the cartridges go, thhis takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process.  Looks like 2500VCI and 2500TSI in your picture.  Since I'm a tool user (and not really up on the latest technology - I learned on distributors with vacuum advance!)  , I'll have to do some research on the programmable cartridge.  Having one that would work on both the Renix and the LJ would be great and it sounds like you can do that as well?

The VCI cartridge has worked for everything I've tried it on. I've heard that sometimes the new cartridges don't work on older things, but mine works on things at least as old as my '89 MJ.

Also, you don't really need the troubleshooter cartridge. It gives you some helpful info, but you don't need it for the tool to work.

By "programmable" they really mean "updatable". The programming is done by Snap-On and I don't think they do it anymore. Every time a new model year came out, you'd have your cartridge updated to the latest version. You'll want to know what the firmware version on any cartridge you get is. 

Got it.  So if the firmware isn't at least what you showed in the picture (88.2 I think it is) then it might not work, and probably isn't updateable.  Correct?

finding a lot of carts on ebay labeled as version 5.4. Pictures of the readouts don't have the same format so they may be on a different screen.  I'll contact one of the sellers and try to get additional info and report back to this thread in case anyone else is interested.

2 minutes ago, jamespwsullivan said:

Got it.  So if the firmware isn't at least what you showed in the picture (88.2 I think it is) then it might not work, and probably isn't updateable.  Correct?

If the newest thing you'll use it for is an '05, you don't really need an 8.2 cartridge. I'm pretty sure 8.2 is the very latest firmware for the MT2500 and the cartridges updated that much are pretty rare. They were updated every model year. I think the version from 2005 was 6.4, but don't quote me on that.

Does the MT2500 with the VCI cartridge work on HOs? It would be nice to be able to talk to my '91s, and my '93 ZJ, read sensor data, possibly be able to reset emissions timers (not that those bulbs still exist...).

Most of what I've found looking for diagnostic tools so far on the odd time I've looked stuff up was infomercials for obd1 scanners that don't really accomplish more than counting flashes. 

17 minutes ago, 1989commanche said:

I’ve got one of those MT 2500 and a few cartridges in a drawer in the garage. I’ll have to see what adapters and cartridges I have. What all do I need to use on a 1989 4.0?

If one of the cartridges covers domestics up to '89, you just need the cartridge and the JEEP-1 adapter. You'll also need the cable that goes from the top of the scan tool to the adapter.

24 minutes ago, Minuit said:

Yep. The HOs use the CHRY-1 adapter for the engine and the CHRY-2 (I think, I don't have it) for the transmission.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nice-Clean-OBD1-And-OBD11-Snapon-MT2500-Scanner-w-Accessories-and-Carrying-Case/173872169432?epid=1411827082&hash=item287b96c1d8:g:W1YAAOSwS4tcsgqO

So like, this kit?

Theres a bunch more stuff than I'd want in there (Ford connectors... :crazy:). Is there a separate diagnostic plug for the trans? I don't recall seeing one, but it's been a couple years since I did much with the aw4 MJ (longest trip it's been on in the last year was maybe 75 feet...).

I'm assuming the diagnostic connector for the ecu is the extra plug hanging out right next to it?

13 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Nice-Clean-OBD1-And-OBD11-Snapon-MT2500-Scanner-w-Accessories-and-Carrying-Case/173872169432?epid=1411827082&hash=item287b96c1d8:g:W1YAAOSwS4tcsgqO

So like, this kit?

Theres a bunch more stuff than I'd want in there (Ford connectors... :crazy:). Is there a separate diagnostic plug for the trans? I don't recall seeing one, but it's been a couple years since I did much with the aw4 MJ (longest trip it's been on in the last year was maybe 75 feet...).

I'm assuming the diagnostic connector for the ecu is the extra plug hanging out right next to it?

I didn't pay that much for mine, but it looks like that has everything you need and a lot you'll never use. The latest cartridge it has only goes up to '98, fine for old Jeeps though. I bought mine piecemeal over a couple of months and only got what I needed. I kind of wish I would've gotten the graphing MTG2500 because it has a screen that's easier to read. Those are rare and stupid expensive though.

The diagnostic plug for the trans is under the dash by the TCU. The one for the engine is behind the ECU. I have no idea what kind of information the TCU can give you, but the ECU has some surprisingly good data for '91. I've never needed transmission data, but I might grab the chry-2 adapter for gits and shiggles to see what it's good for.

Oh, I think I know which plug that is. I assumed it was a/c related for a fancier system than I had (that doesn't exist), although never really looked into it much. 

The plan is I won't need to talk to an aw4. The diff swap planned will need a shorter driveshaft, so instead of chopping the shaft I'm planning an ax15 swap to make up for the difference on the other end. :grinyes: (I'm fully expecting to need a custom shaft anyway, FYI, but it seems like a reasonable explanation)

I wasn't really planning on getting that particular kit, but it did look to be in pretty good shape compared to others and reasonably complete. 

I have the gm,Chrysler & ford cartridges and a few adapters. When I got it I was only looking for it work on my Ford Taurus back in the day. I have had it in a drawer in my toolbox for the last 10 years or so almost forgot I had it. I bought it used from my Snap-on rep 15-20 years ago. Paid way too much money for it back in the day. I will need to look at my newer OBD-II scanner  and see if it will adapt. It has a few adapters in it too. Maybe a Jeep set??

E7E5467B-ECDF-44C2-8BC9-89126C1A99AB.jpeg

00672120-6CB1-4088-B6B8-650780C4E474.jpeg

96643CC7-8FE0-4439-8E9B-72FC785AB7DE.jpeg

47B161FA-DB50-4378-8558-769387AA7D8E.jpeg

2A8DCEE3-312D-45E0-91EE-E8D406130CCB.jpeg