1972 Bolens Husky 1556

This is my 1972 Bolens Husky 1556 money pit.

This pic is of when I got it.

IMG_8019.jpg.260898497c3ed5bb9fba7f4d886ed6ea.jpg

Here it is after I washed it. It has all original paint.

IMG_8022.jpg.7cc03f22108c135c48f7e02c97a8577d.jpg

Here it is after I replaced the cylinder head and muffler and about 1 month of use.

IMG_8391.jpg.5afe5192e02155cd75ccd5d1f856692a.jpg

4 days after I got it (and 1 tank of gas), the valve seat decided to become its own separate entity. I bought the tractor w/ a mower deck, tiller, and snowblower for $500. The head cost $275, however the po felt bad. so he bought the head for me. The funny thing about these tractors is they have a factory locker. If you turn a knob in the left rear wheel, the diff locks. This has come in very handy for snowblowing, mowing up hills, and tilling. I'll try to get more pics up later.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Pete M said:

man, I sure wish my lawn tractor had a locker. :bowdown: that would help out immensely with the back acre.  :grinyes:  unless it hasn't rained for a month, the ground is more or less mushy swamp. :crazy:

Wow! My parent's yard is 6 acres and used to be a farm field, so it is pretty flat, but we do have a couple of hills, so the locker has been helpful. My parents have a 2011 Cub Cadet with an open rear diff and the Bolens can run circles around it, even on flat ground because the Cub understeers something awful.

12 minutes ago, Pete M said:

man, I sure wish my lawn tractor had a locker. :bowdown: that would help out immensely with the back acre.  :grinyes:  unless it hasn't rained for a month, the ground is more or less mushy swamp. :crazy:

Could you weld your rear diff in your tractor for more traction? Or maybe tire chains?

would if I could, but the open diff is far more important to the rest of the property.  the back acre is mostly forest and thankfully I only have to deal with it a couple times a year to fight back the briers.  :D 

That's some cool looking old iron ya got there OP:beerchug:  Nice turf tires on it, too.

Guy down the road from me has an ancient rear tine tiller chained up to a tree in his front yard with a for sale sign on it.  It has been sitting there for about 6 months now, all rusted up.  About a month ago, he spray bombed the whole thing with a can of red spray paint (I guess to hide the obvious surface rust and try to help sell it).  I don't need a tiller for anything, but I'm half tempted to stop and see how much he wants for it.  (Probably too much, that's why it's been for sale so long).  I would just buy it as a project, strip it all down to the frame and rebuild it.

I love old machinery.

2 hours ago, mjeff87 said:

That's some cool looking old iron ya got there OP:beerchug:  Nice turf tires on it, too.

Guy down the road from me has an ancient rear tine tiller chained up to a tree in his front yard with a for sale sign on it.  It has been sitting there for about 6 months now, all rusted up.  About a month ago, he spray bombed the whole thing with a can of red spray paint (I guess to hide the obvious surface rust and try to help sell it).  I don't need a tiller for anything, but I'm half tempted to stop and see how much he wants for it.  (Probably too much, that's why it's been for sale so long).  I would just buy it as a project, strip it all down to the frame and rebuild it.

I love old machinery.

Thanks. I’m 99 percent sure the tires are original to the tractor. 

Does that unit have a hitch plate on the back?  That's a tractor, not a mower.:beerchug:. I had a Noma (rebadged Murray) mower with a hydro trans, it was pretty much a POS (my wife's grandmother gave it to me, so I can't complain too much about it, but it was a mower nonetheless).  Lady I worked with who lived out in the country gave me a Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor......it was dead.   Ended up being a shot fuel pump, which I replaced for $20.  The valve guides were worn so it smoked like a SOB, but that thing was a beast.  I yanked out tree stumps with that thing, lol.  Ended up giving it to my neighbor eventually.

54 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Does that unit have a hitch plate on the back?  That's a tractor, not a mower.:beerchug:. I had a Noma (rebadged Murray) mower with a hydro trans, it was pretty much a POS (my wife's grandmother gave it to me, so I can't complain too much about it, but it was a mower nonetheless).  Lady I worked with who lived out in the country gave me a Craftsman 18hp lawn tractor......it was dead.   Ended up being a shot fuel pump, which I replaced for $20.  The valve guides were worn so it smoked like a SOB, but that thing was a beast.  I yanked out tree stumps with that thing, lol.  Ended up giving it to my neighbor eventually.

It does have a hitch play, so I guess you are right.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using the snowblower all winter-it works pretty good.

I'll see if I can get some pics.

Also, with the rear locker and the weight of the snowblower off the front, it does good donuts.

• 7 months later...
21 minutes ago, Pete M said:

what?  no action pics of the snow blowing?

No. Everyone in my family was watching the football game while they let their sophomore in high school work on an engine alone and then use a tractor with no safety equipment without supervision. I wouldn’t call the tractor dangerous though, it’s way to use. 

54 minutes ago, Drahcir495 said:

That tractor looks so nice after the bath. I am not familiar with that brand, but you’re talking to a guy who only knows Craftsman push mowers. I would be excited to mow if I had that :L:

Thanks for the kind words. Bolens is more of an obscure brand, these were built in Wisconsin. 

It is definitely fun, I did some donuts in the snow today. Mowing isn’t bad, but it is super loud and rides so rough your back hurts after about an hour. 

2 minutes ago, Drahcir495 said:

Lol, rough ride is not good. Does it have those spring ride seats? 

Every time I look at this tractor I want it. I like the obscure :D

The closest thing to a spring is your lower back. It isn’t too bad though, considering it is almost 48 years old.