1972 Bolens Husky 1556

I had a minor issue today while doing a garden tilling job. A pin that attaches the hydraulic lift to the lift on the tiller sheared off, which resulted in the front of tiller lift arm landing in the dirt, at which point the tiller grabbed ahold of the ground and made the tractor go fast making the lift arm go full pretzel mode. And then the redneck engineering started. My mom had to bring some tools from home so I could fix it, but we couldn't get the lift arm off, so I took a ratchet strap and hooked one end to the hole in the lift arm and the other on to the snowblower attachment provision which straightened it enough that I could get it off. My mom then brought the lift arm home so my dad could straighten it in the vice. Meanwhile I drilled a hole in the hydraulic lift arm attached to the tractor so I could put a bolt in to hold the tiller lift arm on. It lifts now, but the tiller lift arm interferes with the brake pedal, so it needs some adjusting (not that the brakes work well anyways, but the parking brake needs to be set to start the tractor). Sorry, didn’t take pictures. 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered and built a 1:16 scale model of this. I think it turned out great! I will add pictures soon. I also got a dirt blade for it and used it to help move a stump down over a bank and fill in the hole the stump caused.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on the newer tractor-I got a NOS fuel tank, carb rebuild kit, new choke/throttle cables, and a new air filter for it. I will hopefully be making it run better soon. We did get it to run off of starting fluid.

The carb has been rebuilt, but we need to adjust the mixture screws to get it to run better. This tractor is going to be more of my beater tractor, but they both will still be used like they were meant too.

Also, I think the 1st tractor was inside for its whole life, but has higher hours than my other. I think that my newest is lower hours, but sat outside for most of its life.