Aight Checking My Lift Plans (Homebrew)

Iv been searching for a few hours now to fill in the gaps but, not having an easy time of it.

Plan is: Ford coils, 2" coil spacers and I'm thinking a SOA conversion in the rear...... Id like to use an 8.8 I see that this usually gets 6" worth of lift in the rear and my parts will get me 5.5 in the front (nice rake)

Just like to confirm the 8.8s amount of lift and get a decent source of info on bolting this sucker in........ I don't want the word "kit used" those are BAAAD. where do I get the proper perches and what else is needed?

Also should I consider dropping the transfer case?

Go to your local Dodge dealer and get a set of mopar perches, or call Jegs and get them, that is where jeff got his.

I think your front plan is a lil rough riding. Ford coils will make your rig ride like a dump truck, why not just buy a nice used set of coils that are designed for your rig?

You didnt mention anything about changing your upper or lower control arms, said nothing about shocks,or brake lines.

T-case drop not needed, just make sure when you weld the perches on the angle is the same on t-case and pinion

You can get a set of lift coil's i think 6" for 120-130. Just as a reminder all the stuff that goes with lifting the truck as well. Shocks, upper and lower control arms, longer track bar, brake lines and so on. Just a heads up that’s all.

Also the kits that are out there are "not bad" but WAY OVER PRICED or that is my thoughts. M.O.R.E. makes one for like 150 buck and you get those preches for under 20 and you can make you D35 e-brake cables work.

Already got the control arms brake-lines ect. got pretty lucky on them too, as for ride......... as soon as i find another pair the trucks getting J20 leaf springs in the rear, so Dump-truck like ride won't begin to cover it :P

Coils and spacers were free just like almost everything else I'm working with.

erm hate to ask but how much for the install kit?

as soon as i find another pair the trucks getting J20 leaf springs in the rear, so Dump-truck like ride won't begin to cover it :P
I thought people were :nuts: for going to leaks in the front... Why would you want a harsh, crap ride like that?

erm hate to ask but how much for the install kit?
I'll get you this far, but you've got to find the price on their site:

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm

I know what they cost on the site..... was asking offroader what he wanted for his....

Leafs up front?

As for the ride........ I won't be rock crawling, its a work truck and a stiffer ride serves me better in mud........ less breaks when your whailing on it and your driveshafts and everything else arent hopping allover the place....

I know what they cost on the site..... was asking offroader what he wanted for his....

Leafs up front?

As for the ride........ I won't be rock crawling, its a work truck and a stiffer ride serves me better in mud........ less breaks when your whailing on it and your driveshafts and everything else arent hopping allover the place....

dude your mental. leafs stink! if you want a stiff ride put in f-150 springs and get some hard hard shocks. and travel in mud is very important as the mud is never the same density so you want travel to keep traction.

I forgot to answer the original question.

You want to goto your local dealer, and have him order the mopar performance perches for a 3" tube.

They'll need a bit of grinding to fit just right, but they're made of 1/4" metal, and they're about $10 for the PAIR.

You'll need a spicer flange adapter for the 8.8

You'll be able to reuse your D-shaft, the extra pinion length of the 8.8 will compensate for the lift.

You'll have to make shock mounts. There's a thread on the front page about those.

Thanks 87, Ill be hitting the dealer monday, as for leafs sucking...... if you in it for ride and think that an off-road truck should ride like a caddy then yeah, if you plan to beat the hell out of it and plan on it coming back for more......... go leafs

Luckily Jeep did a nice job on the manches front suspension don't think ill be breaking it with what I'm doing.....

if you plan to beat the hell out of it and plan on it coming back for more......... go leafs
Um, I really don't think you know what your talking about.

Leafs aren't bad, horrible or anything in my book, but a properly designed Y link, 1 link, 3 link, 4 link or any other coil sprung type suspension will kick the nuts of leafs capabilities any day of the week, and twice on Saturday nights when your more drunk than the crazy guy at the local watering hole. A coil sprung suspension that is correctly designed will far outlast the leafs in terms of off road capabilities.

The only area where leafs will outperform a coil sprung suspension is in the weight carrying and towing category. Read into it, you will find that leafs become your limits, and the tires 9 times out of 10 will come off the ground sooner with leafs. Leafs also crack under too much stress.

I mean, if you want some stiff leafs, go right ahead, but your going to find your limits extremely quick. Your best using the stock MJ leafs, and going spring over. I personally like RE's perches, roughly 2" longer than the mopar ones, allowing for less axlewrap.

Personally I think you are smoking to mych crack if you think leaves are better then any link style suspension, even 1/4 eliptical is better then leaf springs. Mud running requires lots of wheel speed, thus creating axle wrp :nuts:
WTF didn't I put it simpler like you??? :cheers:

Front or rear?

I won't say they suck entirely. They have their uses.

And mud has nothing to do with articulation IMHO. Large tires with paddle tread and a lot of power... That's all you need. Stiff leaves work better than soft ones because you won't run any risk of wrap on the harder stuff. On the soft stuff you don't need travel because the idea is to just hammer accross it without ever sinking. You'll drag the diffs and bury yourself onto the frame before you'll need any more wheel travel then leafs provide.

And my leaves flex quite well, and don't wrap. I made statments about how they did not impress me before, and in a lot of ways they still don't, but I have resolved a few of the issues and found the reason for a few others.

Not to knock link suspension. My leaves will come off at some point. I already have the axles to do it...

well i thought the same. i drove an 00 cat 300 solid rear and it had single coil so the same travel (scaled) as leafs and they stunk on the mud. i ran great tires. upgraded to an 05 400 with ifs & irs and witht he same 25's i gat 3-5" more travel and could go through mud so mush easier. i could stop and go slow and didnt have to worry about it cause the wheel would travel. and when you go through mud you go slow... unless you have no fenders and like shooting mud. so in my opinion. leafs stink....

mjstiltheydie, I don't think anyone is saying he isnt smart for wanting a stiff ride i think what eveyrone is trying to get across is his reasoning could use a little work. MY OPINION is leaves work great for someone who wants to haul a bunch of tools and heavy loads. They also are simple and function fine for most if nto all DDs. I prob will never change my rear leaves to a link setup casue it works for my wheeling and DD MJ. Now i will say i am looking to further modify them so that the ride smoother and softer which in turn will help articulation. As far as going J-20 I really don't see the need for it on this aplication. I knwo they are stiffer and can carry more wieght but why not buy the MJ metric tonn leaves and call it good. Or even buy a helper spring that full length. Now with the front I will say it is going to be ruff. But with that said its free lift. you got the parts to do it at no cost so if you don't like it thers no loss. I say you have a good plan for a cheap budget lift. But if you plan to do any ROCKCRAWLING (mud is diff) then you might need a change of equipment up front. with mud if the leaves arent stiff enough out back then you WILL have axle wrap problems thus making your comment about J-20 leaves Feasible and a decent way to look at it. But for less work i would go for a helper spring or the metric tonn leaves. Pklus i think you can get the Metric ton ones online NEW which is another good thing. Good luck with it all and just go for it.

Cole

I have actually seen rockcrawling on stiff leaf springs that will simply amaze people. It's all about making the tires that you have on the ground work, because there's probably only ever going to be 2 of them at most.

Obviosuly there's a limitation to that. Torque loading on individual parts is higher. And you've got less tire on the ground to provide traction. Not to mention that you're horribly hard on the body. But it can be made to work.

The winner of the last werock event in my area ran leafs on all 4 corners. (That was pro-mod class I guess, one step down from the top buggy class?)

Besides, a free lift is no big deal if it doesn't come out so great. After all, you're only out time and sweat.

Just got my free J20 springs........ suckers still have paint on them

As for rocks havent found anything worth building a super flexy rockbuggy for in NY

Lift should be done next week and I got my exploder 8.8 with 4:10s for $50 should tide me through untill I get the cash for my axle truss and go fullwidth