Need some TJ help!

Rymanrph

I recently purchased a 2001 TJ and sold the hardtop that was on it.  When I went to install a soft top, I realized that the previous owner removed the belt rails, so there is nothing for the windows to snap into.  They're originally spot welded to the tub, so I'm having a hard time finding replacements. The junk yards I have called either don't have Wranglers or want to sell me both full quarters and I can't afford that. I was hoping to find someone with a rusted out tub that could just sell me these parts. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

factory soft top? looks like this? 

50871-md.jpg

I found a thread about removing them and it contained part numbers for new ones:

Part # 55175754 for the right side, part # 55175755 for the left side, known as Retainer, Belt Rail.

from here:  https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/help-me-remove-soft-top-retainer-rails-tub-1009953/

:doh:  from what I read in that thread, it looks like they are a real pain to remove.  not sure I could be of any help if I saw one in the junkyards. 

found another left on ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Left-Belt-Retainer-Reinforcement-55175755AC-For-97-06-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ/232734456328?epid=1141786490&hash=item36300dfa08:g:IY8AAOSwtrha0qgc:rk:1:pf:0

They're just spot welded on.  I have no idea why the PO removed them.  My guess is they got damaged somehow and he couldn't run a soft top anymore, but the damage prevented a hard top from sitting correctly on the top.

Thanks for the ebay link.  I've contacted the seller to see if he also has the other side.  This is slightly more than the dealer, but it's free shipping and would save me a trip to the dealer.

I remember there was a wrecked wrangler at S+W pullyourpart.  can't remember if it was a YJ or TJ or how much rear damage there was but I'm driving to the area next week so I'll be sure to swing by and check it out. :L:  (doesn't take much at all to get me to a pull a part :D )

I've often wondered that.  the only ones I've ever seen in a pullapart-style yard were either mangled or burnt to a crisp.  want a liberty fender?  no problemo, there are 50 in the pullapart yards near me.  want a wrangler fender?  that's a big ol' NOPE.

Don't know if this helps but YJ's have the same rail but they are removable...... You take them off when you put the hard top on and use the same holes and bolts to attach the hard top....you might be able to make a set of them work for you?

And you can buy them after market.....even one at a time if you want

Here is a set

https://www.morris4x4center.com/rampage-tub-rail-kit-sold-separately-69997.html

1 minute ago, yxmj said:

Don't know if this helps but YJ's have the same rail but they are removable...... You take them off when you put the hard top on and use the same holes and bolts to attach the hard top....you might be able to make a set of them work for you?

And you can buy them after market.....even one at a time if you want

I had the same idea and found a picture comparing the profiles of the two.  They're completely different and would stretch the windows too much.  I may have found a yard that will ship some TJ ones to me - hopefully.  Most every place I've called has wanted to sell me the quarter or whole tub.

Just now, Pete M said:

does that yard realize what it takes to remove them?  :( 

She seemed to understand what I was asking for and gave me a price pretty quickly for what they sell them for.  She asked me to send her an email for an order so I included the Mopar part numbers for reference.  We'll see.....

There was a TJ in my local yard a month or so ago, when I grabbed those KJ tow hooks.  Every once in a blue moon one shows up there.  I looked at it just out of curiosity to see what might be left to salvage.  There wasn't much left but the paint to take:laugh:.  But I just learned from this thread to not underestimate just what somebody might need.

I called Jeeps Unlimited, Salvage Jeep Parts & Service, Davey's Jeeps and several others.  None of them were willing to cut up a tub.  Davey's Jeep wouldn't even cut up a wrecked tub - they'd sell the whole wrecked tub to me for $200, but I had to come get it.  I finally found a yard in Eastern NC (Kenny's Jeep and Truck Parts) that was willing to help me out.  He cut the tub just below the rail and let me drill out the spot welds myself.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• 2 years later...
On 2/5/2019 at 8:12 AM, Rymanrph said:

I finally found a yard in Eastern NC (Kenny's Jeep and Truck Parts) that was willing to help me out.  He cut the tub just below the rail and let me drill out the spot welds myself.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Its so ironic that an MJ forum is the best source for me finding info about replacing my 04 LJ's broken tub rail!! Thanks for the info, I'm calling Kenny's today. Also might ask about some parts for my '88 Comanche while I'm on the phone.