I’m trying to swap a 1992 XJ gauge cluster out a “country” package, into my 1988 MJ Pioneer. I can’t seem t find a proper wiring diagram for either of the models gauge cluster plugs and need some help. I have to use the XJ clusters plug so I need to splice it into the MJs wiring, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

My advice: stop now, and get a proper cluster for the year. The 1992 cluster has an electronic speedometer. Your truck is set up for a mechanical speedometer. You're gonna have to do more than just swap some plugs around to make the newer cluster work, not to mention the difference in tachometers. A 1987-1990 full gauge cluster will plug in directly.

Don't mess up your truck's wiring when there are clusters out there still.

THAT^

I've got two of the clusters with gauges but no tach.  Large fuel gauge where tach goes.  But they would be closer to a direct plug in.  

The cluster housing you are looking for will have a blue housing.  The 1991 and later have a white housing and use an electronic speedometer.

By 1987-1990 full cluster are you talking about an XJ cluster or MJ? I searched for an MJ full cluster for quite some time now and can’t find one anywhere that isn’t under 400$ The XJ clusters are way more available and cheaper and I know where I can get one out of 1990 already. 

There is no diff between MJ and XJ clusters.  Clusters from 87 - 90 are inter-changeable from MJ to XJ; the same for 91 and 92.

For 87-90, there were three types: 1) No tach, w/ large gas gauge on left side and idiot lights, 2) No tach, w/ gas gauge, and gauges for temp, amp, and oil (3/4 gauge set), and 3) a full cluster, w/tach and gauges.

There may be a difference. The XJs had floor-mounted shifters for the automatics, so they didn't have a PRNDL display in the cluster. The MJs with the automatic did have the PRNDL display. There are work-arounds ... you can use an XJ shifter in an MJ, or you can simply install a PRNDL on the steering colum, as Hornbrod did.

4 hours ago, TobiasMJ said:

Little update for you guys, I picked up the 1990 cluster and got it mounted in. Everything seems spot on beside the oil pressure gauge, I may have to replace my pressure sensor. Thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it!

If your old cluster had the dummy lights only, then it has an oil pressure switch which only has on and off. You needs to install an oil pressure sensor so it can feed info to the new gauge. Easy enough to do, just be careful removing the switch. Too much force can snap things, then it becomes a bad day very quickly.

A little late now, but THIS is an awesome thread to read through for this type of swap.