98 Cherokee

robbie95

I wasn't aware Jeep offered the Cherokee with a V6 in 1998. We had a 1999 Cherokee Sport, great car, had about 130,000 miles, perfect shape. Then a young man rear ended us while we were stopped for a left turner in front of us. I don't think he ever touched the brakes. I miss that car!

1 hour ago, olddude said:

I wasn't aware Jeep offered the Cherokee with a V6 in 1998. We had a 1999 Cherokee Sport, great car, had about 130,000 miles, perfect shape. Then a young man rear ended us while we were stopped for a left turner in front of us. I don't think he ever touched the brakes. I miss that car!

pretty sure the guy is confused, definitely a 4.0 in it.

4 hours ago, robbie95 said:

You think she'll be as reliable as my little 2.5?

I've had my 1998 XJ 4.0L 4x4 5MT for 10 years and it's been very reliable. I bought it at 94,000 and now it's almost 200,000. Other than tune-up stuff I've never had any surprised repairs. Still runs strong. 

No reason to think it won't be as reliable as your MJ based on the engine alone. Whether or not the engine was taken care of is another question though... this XJ looks pretty rough around the edges and usually that's a clue about how well the rest of it was taken care of. The fact he doesn't know it's not a V6 is concern also. LOL

1 hour ago, DirtyComanche said:

Many people have no idea that engines come in configurations other than a V, or that the V actually means that the engine is configured that way.  It's a 6 cylinder, so it's a V6!

Too true.

Although a number of years ago I had a call from a NAXJA-NAC friend in New Jersey. He was looking for a Cherokee for his fiancee and he had spotted what he thought was a likely candidate in Connecticut, so he wanted to know if it was close enough that I could check it out. As it happened, it was at a used car lot about 10 minutes from where I was working, so I on the case.

Drove over to the lot after work the next day. Found the XJ (about a '98, IIRC). Looked clean, but with a weird exterior decal package I had never seen. Looked inside -- idiot lights, so it was a Base, not a Sport as advertised. Sales drone came out, got the keys and opened it up, and I started looking around. Popped the hood ... uh, oh!

Me: I thought this was a 6-cylinder?

Drone: It is.

Me: Why are there only four spark plugs?

You would not believe what followed. It was a 2.5L 4-banger, no question. There were the four (count em -- 4) spark plugs. This guy spent probably ten minutes looking at that engine, from both sides and every conceivable angle, trying to find the other two cylinders. He looked on both sides of the block, too, so he obviously didn't know that not all engines are Vee configuration.

I finally put him out of his misery and told him the vehicle was obviously not a Sport, as they had advertised, and it clearly wasn't a 6-cylinder as they had advertised, so it wasn't worth what they were asking. I asked what they would take for it. Are you sitting down?

"It was a six-cylinder Sport when we bought it, so that's what our price has to be based on."

Yeah, right. And the evil Jeep engine elves sneaked onto the lot one night and stole the 6-cylinder engine right out of it.

20 hours ago, Eagle said:

Too true.

Although a number of years ago I had a call from a NAXJA-NAC friend in New Jersey. He was looking for a Cherokee for his fiancee and he had spotted what he thought was a likely candidate in Connecticut, so he wanted to know if it was close enough that I could check it out. As it happened, it was at a used car lot about 10 minutes from where I was working, so I on the case.

Drove over to the lot after work the next day. Found the XJ (about a '98, IIRC). Looked clean, but with a weird exterior decal package I had never seen. Looked inside -- idiot lights, so it was a Base, not a Sport as advertised. Sales drone came out, got the keys and opened it up, and I started looking around. Popped the hood ... uh, oh!

Me: I thought this was a 6-cylinder?

Drone: It is.

Me: Why are there only four spark plugs?

You would not believe what followed. It was a 2.5L 4-banger, no question. There were the four (count em -- 4) spark plugs. This guy spent probably ten minutes looking at that engine, from both sides and every conceivable angle, trying to find the other two cylinders. He looked on both sides of the block, too, so he obviously didn't know that not all engines are Vee configuration.

I finally put him out of his misery and told him the vehicle was obviously not a Sport, as they had advertised, and it clearly wasn't a 6-cylinder as they had advertised, so it wasn't worth what they were asking. I asked what they would take for it. Are you sitting down?

"It was a six-cylinder Sport when we bought it, so that's what our price has to be based on."

Yeah, right. And the evil Jeep engine elves sneaked onto the lot one night and stole the 6-cylinder engine right out of it.

Lol!!! thats funny... 

From what I can see it has an airbag light on, turn the key on and try the horn. If the horn doesn’t work you will need a new clock spring under the steering wheel most likely.

Bring an electrical tester, test battery voltage then start it and test charging voltage, should be 14 and change charging  and 12-12.5 not running.

If anything less than those numbers you’ll need a battery and alternator. It looks like it has less than 12 already.

Make sure reverse lights work and that it starts in park and neutral. If any issues there it will be neutral safety switch. Easy enough fix.

if you have a obd2 tester check it out to see if the monitors aren’t set and to see if any codes are pending.

98 is the best year, I have one with 457k on it. Bought it from the original owner at 209k for $1700 11 years ago.

It is now rotten beyond repair but it still runs very well. I never treated it properly either, up to 15k between oil changes at times but not every time. Usually between 6 and 8k. Has same clutch since 214k but it’s starting to feel wonky.

If it’s rust free, $1800 wouldn’t be a bad price in my area even if it did have some issues as long as it runs good.

If it’s descent grab it. Offer 1,400 then meet him halfway at 1,600 if you really like it. These are getting harder and harder to find even in the junkyards. A 4x4 for 1,600 is cheap. Expect to put some work into it but it can be really good car. I’ve had 5 of them and my buddy got 450,000 out of his. They are tough as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s been for sale for 18 days now, it definitely isn’t perfect or it would be gone.

Number one issue to look for is rust. Everything else is just parts swapping.

Note everything that it needs. Check the brakes, u joints in the front axle and drive shafts. Bring a jack and lift the front wheels off the ground to check the wheel bearings. Check 4wd engagement.

He knows it is a project so figure out everything it needs before you start talking numbers. Be informed.

$1,800 isn’t bad if no ac is the only issue but start talking the price down after you figure everything out.

I once found a 78 CJ5 in decent shape. The guy was asking $750. It was missing a starter and a battery so I brought those with me. I put them in and drove it around and offered him $400. He said $700.

I said no, $400 and started taking out the starter and battery and putting them back in my car and he came back out and said ok because who else is going to show up with a battery and starter and give him his ask when you can't even hear it run.

Be informed before you start haggling.

15 hours ago, robbie95 said:

Gonna go look at it this weekend, definitely don't want to give him the 1800 for it, was hoping for around 1300-1500 range, anything I should look for other than rust, oil leaks, etc?

Really other than just making sure it starts, runs and drives there's not a lot of "problems". Make sure to test the basic daily functions wipers, heat, windows, lights. If it's rusted that's your call. Personally I've learned to walk away from rusted unibodys regardless of the mechanical shape. 

Really other than just making sure it starts, runs and drives there's not a lot of "problems". Make sure to test the basic daily functions wipers, heat, windows, lights. If it's rusted that's your call. Personally I've learned to walk away from rusted unibodys regardless of the mechanical shape. 

Rusted body is the big one. Do some poking with a screw driver but ask first. If I had a guy walked around a 20
year old car and check every little thing on it and try to ding me on each thing. I would tell him that if he wanted a new car he should go by one. And I have done that before. It’s a 20year old car and it is what it is. End of story and end of my dealing with that guy. NEXT. If the bones are good you should buy it. Don’t let the 18 days for sale scare you, we’re just past the Christmas Holidays and people are trying to recover their finances and no tax refunds yet. Not the best time to sell a car. That could work to your advantage. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for rust, under the driver seat and above the muffler. Also, check the rear brake line. They rust. Will not be fun if it fails when driving. '98s are a good year. The rocker look good from the pics. Usually the first to go.