First post, new to the club

Hey all, i'm the proud new owner of this '89 MJ. It came with some issues as most older jeeps do. First order of business, clean the throttle body and iac. Trying to eliminate the vacuum leak, which is massive. Kicking out a loud whoosh when i step on the gas pedal, limiting my top speed to 35 mph.

PO installed an electric fan to help with overheating, seems to work well, keeping temps at 220 F if i can trust the thermostat.

So i'll be under the hood for a while this week. The forum articles on vacuum leaks are helpful.

Also i'll be looking for a new flexplate, mine is cracked. Any advice/info on sourcing a new one will be appreciated!

1127180947.jpg

Hey all, i'm the proud new owner of this '89 MJ. It came with some issues as most older jeeps do. First order of business, clean the throttle body and iac. Trying to eliminate the vacuum leak, which is massive. Kicking out a loud whoosh when i step on the gas pedal, limiting my top speed to 35 mph.
  PO installed an electric fan to help with overheating, seems to work well, keeping temps at 220 F if i can trust the thermostat.
  So i'll be under the hood for a while this week. The forum articles on vacuum leaks are helpful.
  Also i'll be looking for a new flexplate, mine is cracked. Any advice/info on sourcing a new one will be appreciated!
1127180947.jpg.9e9ce030a12d69c1c110fb5e85d38baa.jpg
Rock On, welcome to the club. Is this a 4.0 TBI I take it...

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Do not buy an aftermarket flex plate, everything available from the big auto stores are indexed inproperly and your truck will not run right after install. I found this out last year sadly, spend the time to find a stock takeoff

• 2 weeks later...

Right on, thank you sirs. The bed will get a headache rack once i get a hold of some stainless 2" square tube. Should i put a side dump exhaust??? Kinda want to go "full yeetard" on this project

2018-12-14 jeep comanche.jpeg

Edited by OtterMobile

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Cracked flexplate: replaced

Cracked exhaust manifold & plugged up CAT: replaced

Cracked head stud replaced

Leaky radiator: replaced

New starter, cap, rotor installed

Soon: Slip Yoke Eliminator

OTK steering kit

Rear bumper w/ taillights that work

Stacks would be fun but i went the (somewhat) less expensive route..

Pics too large to upload, will post the img's when i get them compressed down to CC's standards.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry for not updating. I haven't had much time to work so there's really nothing much to update, but while it's been sitting in the driveway I'm going through Cruisin54's mostly Renix tips like refreshing the ground at the oil dipstick tube, sensor grounds, checking all connectors and relays under the hood. I didnt use a spray cleaner like he says to on the site, i just wire brushed and used dielectric grease. Hope that's good enough. 

Also got to get a rear bumper welded on and finish the tailight wiring. 

The PO did electrical installs for fire departments so there's a huge panel behind the driver's seat I get to decipher how to use. Looks like a clean job, I just got to figure out what's what.

IMG_20190416_125555209.jpg

9 hours ago, OtterMobile said:

The PO did electrical installs for fire departments so there's a huge panel behind the driver's seat I get to decipher how to use. Looks like a clean job, I just got to figure out what's what.

Wow!!:eek:

1 hour ago, OtterMobile said:

Sorry for not updating. I haven't had much time to work so there's really nothing much to update, but while it's been sitting in the driveway I'm going through Cruisin54's mostly Renix tips like refreshing the ground at the oil dipstick tube, sensor grounds, checking all connectors and relays under the hood. I didnt use a spray cleaner like he says to on the site, i just wire brushed and used dielectric grease. Hope that's good enough. 

Also got to get a rear bumper welded on and finish the tailight wiring. 

POS 1

POS 2 DECKS

FRY OUTER

CORN

ALLY

ALLY

???

???

Very curious!  :confused: