Cooling system failing?

So over the past 2 weeks the MJ has been creeping up past 220 and there is rad fluid that is leaking close to the overflow. It does it once and then goes back to normal after I turn on the heat for a bit. I have no idea the last time any of the cooling system was serviced. Is it time to upgrade the cooling system or it it simply a bubble? I know the closed systems are tricky. 

8 minutes ago, Smokeyyank said:

So over the past 2 weeks the MJ has been creeping up past 220 and there is rad fluid that is leaking close to the overflow. It does it once and then goes back to normal after I turn on the heat for a bit. I have no idea the last time any of the cooling system was serviced. Is it time to upgrade the cooling system or it it simply a bubble? I know the closed systems are tricky. 

If you have no idea when the cooling system was last serviced, service it. Start with a good system flush and go from there. Still running the original radiator?

Here's a good how-to. 

2 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

What year MJ? Open or closed cooling system? Has the radiator ever been replaced?

Lacking the above information, my guess is that you need a radiator. My '88 XJ, at 287,000 miles, is on its third.

43 minutes ago, Eagle said:

What year MJ? Open or closed cooling system? Has the radiator ever been replaced?

Lacking the above information, my guess is that you need a radiator. My '88 XJ, at 287,000 miles, is on its third.

Err, he says he has a closed system.

OP, might be a good idea to create a signature:

The closed system doesn't have an overflow. What are you calling the "overflow"? How full do you fill the tank on the firewall? It should be filled no more than halfway, when cold. It needs air space for the coolant to expand as it heats up.

13 hours ago, Eagle said:

The closed system doesn't have an overflow. What are you calling the "overflow"? How full do you fill the tank on the firewall? It should be filled no more than halfway, when cold. It needs air space for the coolant to expand as it heats up.

Yes. And it's possible a simple cap replacement on the pressure bottle could solve your problem.

703-1396 Volvo cap from Napa works well.

If you do need a radiator, get NR 2802 from Napa. That way you can go to an open system and still have a bung in the radiator for the fan switch. 

5 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

My fault not overflow, pressure bottle. Ideally I want to swap to an open system. 

Pressure bottle is filled less than half currently.   

Where is it leaking? If it's leaking around the cap, get the Volvo cap cruiser54 recommended.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:29 PM, Eagle said:

Where is it leaking? If it's leaking around the cap, get the Volvo cap cruiser54 recommended.

Well as of this morning the pressure bottle cracked along a seam in front. Spewed fluid all over. 

So should I just get another pressure bottle or upgrade to a open system? I'd prefer to go open but an easy fix would be a softer hit on the wallet right now. 

If you just replace the bottle, can't stress enough to get the Volvo cap too. Best $8-10 you can spend. I had bought a new bottle w/standard cap from Quadratec and within a few weeks the pressure would loosen the cap and it would spew coolant. Bought the Volvo cap and it hasn't leaked at the bottle since. 

Personally, I think I'd go ahead and go with the open system at this point.  I'm really happy I did mine that way.   Takes some confusion out of your cooling system and easier to work on in my opinion

I'm using the original closed system-type radiator but I installed an aluminum radiator cap "T" on the upper rad hose.  Picked up a true overflow bottle from a later model XJ at a junk yard.    Also got rid of that worthless heater core valve too.  

One of my favorite upgrades.  No more guessing on whether or not bubbles are fully purged and that all is working like it should.

43 minutes ago, coolwind57 said:

Personally, I think I'd go ahead and go with the open system at this point.  I'm really happy I did mine that way.   Takes some confusion out of your cooling system and easier to work on in my opinion

I'm using the original closed system-type radiator but I installed an aluminum radiator cap "T" on the upper rad hose.  Picked up a true overflow bottle from a later model XJ at a junk yard.    Also got rid of that worthless heater core valve too.  

One of my favorite upgrades.  No more guessing on whether or not bubbles are fully purged and that all is working like it should.

I just ended up getting a new bottle and cap from rockauto it was $30. Next spring I'll probably just convert it and upgrade as much as I can. 

Dropped in the new pressure bottle and Volvo cap this past weekend. So far everything has been holding steady and temps have been perfect.

Quick question about burping the system.  I read a few post to see what needed to happen since this is the first time I've had to deal with it. I raised the rear of the truck, filled the bottle up to the post in the there and run the engine with the heat on. It got up to temp I capped it and drove it around a bit. Re checked level was fine. Is there anything I missed or need to follow up on?