Death wobble is trying to come back

10 hours ago, Eagle said:

Factory spec for caster is +7 to +8 degrees, but 6 may be the best you can do with a lift because of U-joint angles. I'd say it's marginal.

Factory spec for toe is zero, plus-or-minus 1/32 for each side, so it shouldn't be more than 1/16 toe-in. But I don't think 1/8" of toe-in would be enough to create any problems other than a bit of premature wear on the outer shoulders of the tires.

6* was the best I was able to get if I remember correctly. I'll reset the toe in when I replace TRE's because I feel after I check them a couple will need replacing. Something I just remembered is if I turned left, sometimes it would try to set off a full on wobble.

Drove it 70 up the interstate today with no odd jiggles. I found a Hunter balancer close to me so I will be having my tires balanced by them either way, if things still feel odd after that then I'll look into suspension parts again. Going to get XJ bucket seats and a 6x12 trailer next week so I need it running straight down the road for the 50 mile trek!

Sounds like the tie rod end needs to be changed at the least, cheap part and added piece of mind. Kind of a bummer when one tire decides to steer independent of the steering wheel. if the TRE is endlessly spinning it will be hard to get it tight. As mentioned above you can carefully grab it with needle nose or something, but it is better to just change it out.

As an aside, I have experienced death wobble with an '88 and an '86 MJ. The '88 had worn ball joints and a bad tire, later the tire blew out. On the '86 I changed a loose track bar the tie rod ends, not sure which caused the problem, but it fixed the problem.