IFS

Can’t say I haven’t thought about it. For a lowered street truck, not having that big ol’ dummy solid axle would sure free up a ton of room for an oil pan. I’m sure one could get way better suspension geometry dialed in too. 

I usually quit thinking about it though right around the time that I remind myself that I really don’t need a dedicated track killer that I’d spend all that time and effort on. Handling and a dropped suspension can be had without such a hard push of the reset button. 

I thought about it for doing an AWD street build.  Worth it?  I doubt it.

And I wouldn't use that Mustang crap.  If you're going to bother you might as well get something that actually has decent geometry.  Assuming you can make it fit.  It's not like the chassis was meant to run IFS and there would be some significant changes required.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/project-trucks/1967-ford-f-100-project-speed-bump-part-2/

Something like above would be awesome.  Do some measuring, maybe there is a stock k-member from some car that would fit with minor frame mods to the MJ.  Maybe the Crown Vic front end could be made to fit.  I'm not interested in doing that much work.  Yet.  

**I realized I posted a link to an entire frame swap.  Changed link to another site that shows the swap I had in mind.  Basically hack off the stock crossmember and suspension mounts and bolt in the Crown Vic assembly.  

Not that I want to do an IFS swap, but keep in mind that the MJ is an AMC design, and AMC was building unibody cars that were around the same size as the XJ/MJ for decades before the XJ came out. I would look at adapting the front suspension out of a Javelin, Hornet, or Concord. Avoid Rambler Americans -- they had a very strange coil spring/trunnion setup that had some problems, and would likely be impossible to find replacement bushings for today.

9 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

May not be as difficult as one might think. 

Think Raptor or Tundra for parts source.

An amc eagle was IFS ...and 4x4....and used essentially the same motor and drive as an MJ