HO CPS Compatibility

The 91-92 Mopar CPS's are nearly unobtainable now. However the 93-96 CPS's are still available. I'm fairly certain the only difference between the 91-92 and 93-96 sensors is the connector; one's round and the other's oval. They are all for the OBD1 system (yes, even the 96 as far as the CPS is concerned) and both are 3-wire. Does anyone know for certain?

Chrysler also changed sensor connectors occasionally sometimes just to jack up the sensor price. For instance the MAP sensor. The early 91-95 HOs used a firewall mounted MAP like the Renix models with the troublesome POS plastic vacuum tube to the intake manifold. The 96 HO's (OBD1 also for most of the sensors) uses a throttle body mounted MAP. I got the mfg. specs and compared the vacuum vs. voltage outputs of both MAP's and they were identical. So I moved my MAP is to the throttle body using a 96 MAP and it has worked great for years.

I think it's going to be the same for the early and later CPS's; the mfg's spec sheets will show identical outputs. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried it... 

Just now, HOrnbrod said:

Chrysler also changed sensor connectors occasionally sometimes just to jack up the sensor price...

happens a lot, a TPS is a vacuum-actuated variable resistor, if it has the same ohm range and pin count, it works...

19 minutes ago, omega_rugal said:

happens a lot, a TPS is a vacuum-actuated variable resistor, if it has the same ohm range and pin count, it works...

Who's talking about a TPS? The TPS is mechanically actuated by the throttle butterfly shaft, not vacuum.

I haven't done the CPS, but i run a 95 distributor on my 91 harness. I simply swapped connectors, the 95 cam sensor worked fine with the 91 ECM.

I would suspect that the CPS would work too, maybe i will see if i can find the old 95 CPS that came with my injection set up and try it.

9 hours ago, mnkyboy said:

I haven't done the CPS, but i ran a 95 distributor on my 91 harness. I simply swapped connectors, the cam sensor worked fine with the 91 ECM.

I would suspect that the CPS would work too, maybe i will see if i can find the old 95 CPS that came with my injection set up and try it.

Me too, running a similar 94 distributor so you can change out the cam sensor w/o pulling the distributor.

Sounds good on the 95 CPS - please try it when you can. I think it would work just fine too.

20 minutes ago, cruiser54 said:

I thought there was a huge concern, actually a thread, about the scarcity of Renix parts a while ago.......

I think there was. Unfortunately, the Renix CPS operates on a completely different principle than the HO CPS, which is why the flywheel and CPS have to match. And why there aren't any factory CPSs any more. The Renix models have been out of production for 28 years, so the factory doesn't have to service replacement parts any longer.

Yes, connector is the only difference. Hesco sell a Mopar terminal kit with connector to modify your 91/92 to fit the newer CPS plug.

As a side note, Hesco runs a ZJ 4.0L in their CPS/ harmonic balancer kit  Same as the 93+ XJ connector, but CPS mounting is different. 

7 minutes ago, Gjeep said:

Yes, connector is the only difference. Hesco sell a Mopar terminal kit with connector to modify your 91/92 to fit the newer CPS plug.

As a side note, Hesco runs a ZJ 4.0L in their CPS/ harmonic balancer kit  Same as the 93+ XJ connector, but CPS mounting is different. 

Good info G - thanks. Another good HO workaround.   :L:

Just now, Eagle said:

I think there was. Unfortunately, the Renix CPS operates on a completely different principle than the HO CPS, which is why the flywheel and CPS have to match. 

really? i though that the ECU and flywheel had to match, not the cps..

The only way the ECU knows what flywheel is there is from the signal sent by the CPS. If the CPS doesn't match the flywheel, you don't get a signal (or you don't gat a signal that the ECU can understand).

Actually, all three have to match up. What often happens is that someone with a Renix vehicle throws in an "new" engine out of an HO. They use the Renix CPS, but they forget about the flywheel. No go.

23 hours ago, Eagle said:

I think there was. Unfortunately, the Renix CPS operates on a completely different principle than the HO CPS, which is why the flywheel and CPS have to match. And why there aren't any factory CPSs any more. The Renix models have been out of production for 28 years, so the factory doesn't have to service replacement parts any longer.

I'm aware a Renix CPS won't work. 

So, what parts can't we get for Renix? There was a whole thread on that subject which died......

I kinda want to know what parts I can't get for all my renix jeeps? I can find China, and USA parts for just about everything made for all my jeeps. I have nothing in my jeeps not made in either Canada or the USA. Even my relays made right here in Texas down the street about 60 miles.

10 hours ago, Eagle said:

The only way the ECU knows what flywheel is there is from the signal sent by the CPS. If the CPS doesn't match the flywheel, you don't get a signal (or you don't gat a signal that the ECU can understand).

Actually, all three have to match up. What often happens is that someone with a Renix vehicle throws in an "new" engine out of an HO. They use the Renix CPS, but they forget about the flywheel. No go.

wierd, the differnce between a renix vs a HO flywheel is how the teeth are read, with the renix having more pulses per rev and lookign for missing pulses, while an HO only reads 4 pulses, both are made of iron and a CPS reacts to anything that is made of iron... the incompatibility you mention may be when the use a Renix flywheel with a HO cps AND a HO ecu, in this case pulses don´t match..

5 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

This thread is entitled HO CPS Compatibility and had nothing to do with anything else until someone interjected some Renix comment. If you want to talk about Renix stuff, start another thread.  :P

I'm just doing what you do in Renix threads. Bash the other guy's system. That's all. 

It is relevant though.

Now the HO stuff is gonna dwindle just like some claim that Renix stuff has. Which it hasn't. Go look at that thread........It died from lack of facts. Fake news. Nothing burgers....

Did you even read the thread Renix-man? The question was answered by Gjeep - bingo -  thread answered and over. Nothing was asked, wanted, or needed about Renix anything. All the Renix BS was irrelevant - nothing to do with the topic. Like you always do. Quit whining....