Paging all electrical gurus

I'm usually pretty good with electrical (not "electronic") issues, but I've encountered something that has me stumped. My beautiful, low-miles 2000 Cherokee 5-speed was in an accident awhile back. Collision damage was repaired properly, but the insurance didn't cover fixing the ruptured brake lines that actually caused the accident. I finally got around to doing that, using copper-nickel (cunifer) line and silicone brake fluid, so I hope not to have a repeat performance.

Now that it's back on the road, there's an anomaly. Right turn signals blink at the normal rate. Left turn signals blink at the normal rate when the headlights are off, but when the headlights are on, they blink faster. No bulbs burned out.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your headlights are grounding out to the turn signal circuit.  The faster flashing means it thinks a bulb is burnt out, which there isn't as you say.  What was the damage like on the front end?  It's possible the header wiring got pinched or broken in the crash and it's no sending current the wrong way somewhere. 

Sounds like your headlights are grounding out to the turn signal circuit.  The faster flashing means it thinks a bulb is burnt out, which there isn't as you say.  What was the damage like on the front end?  It's possible the header wiring got pinched or broken in the crash and it's no sending current the wrong way somewhere. 

This seems most likely.  Bad ground somewhere in left front.

Gene

3 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Don't they blink the side markers alternately?

How are the marker bulbs?

Yes, the side markers blink alternately from the turn signals. All bulbs light, including the side markers.

The odd part is that the 2000 XJ doesn't have the old-style flasher units we're accustomed to with the MJs. It uses a combination electronic flasher that does turns and hazards all in one -- and costs $25 or more (the last time I bought one for my late wife's XJ, which was several years ago). I didn't think those were load sensitive. The other XJ has a trailer package, but there doesn't appear to be a separate part number for the flasher module with trailer tow.