Station Wagons

Ωhm

I sold my 81 AMC Concord wagon last year.  Had a factory 4-on-the-floor with the old Iron Duke 4-banger.  Loved those blue vinyl seats on a hot day!  It was in great shape and I did a lot of work to it.  My band used it in promo photo sessions.  

Not a 50-60s wagon, but man did I get lots of compliments everywhere I went.  People loved that car.

I feel like restoration trends kind of follow the hot selling car trends. When trucks started to become daily drivers, I saw a lot of restored old trucks, when suvs were big, I noticed a bunch of restored old toyota FJ's and things like that. When the big three all started pushing their modern muscle cars, it seemed the number of classics at car shows doubled. Currently, hatch's and crossovers (fancy word for a station wagon that doesn't drag roadkill underneath it) are selling well, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I wonder if it's from people who see the new ones, and start to think about the classics, and figure that if they are going to spend tens of thousands on something, it may as well be unique?

On 6/15/2018 at 11:39 PM, Money_Pits said:

I feel like restoration trends kind of follow the hot selling car trends. When trucks started to become daily drivers, I saw a lot of restored old trucks, when suvs were big, I noticed a bunch of restored old toyota FJ's and things like that. When the big three all started pushing their modern muscle cars, it seemed the number of classics at car shows doubled. Currently, hatch's and crossovers (fancy word for a station wagon that doesn't drag roadkill underneath it) are selling well, so I wouldn't be surprised.

I wonder if it's from people who see the new ones, and start to think about the classics, and figure that if they are going to spend tens of thousands on something, it may as well be unique?

It's the other way around. 

The restoration/custom market is drive by what's available, and what's cheap. 

Vans were for flower shops, painters, carpenters.......etc, in the late 60s and early 70s the hippies picked them up cheap, 10 years later we had the custom van conversion craze.

Same with trucks, prior to the mid 80's, trucks were for blue collar people, undesirable. Who knows? maybe it was the Fall Guy, then the mini-truck craze.........but now, trucks have replaced the Cadillac, best sellers. 

If the OP is seeing more station wagons, it's what's available, it's that simple. There are no more Camaros, Chevelles, Mustangs, Chargers.........etc.

Will we see a resurgence of station wagons 15 years from now? WTFKs?

13 hours ago, Jeep Driver said:

It's the other way around. 

The restoration/custom market is drive by what's available, and what's cheap. 

Vans where for flower shops, painters, carpenters.......etc, in the late 60s and early 70s the hippies picked them up cheap, 10 years later we had the custom van conversion craze.

Same with trucks, prior to the mid 80's, trucks were for blue collar people, undesirable. Who knows? maybe it was the Fall Guy, then the mini-truck craze.........but now, trucks have replaced the Cadillac, best sellers. 

If the OP is seeing more station wagons, it's what's available, it's that simple. There are no more Camaros, Chevelles, Mustangs, Chargers.........etc.

Will we see a resurgence of station wagons 15 years from now? WTFKs?

I agree, its someone going - "Ok, everything else is too expensive, oh look a wagon, I'll do that."

Our family has always owned SW's of one sort or another.   One of my brothers just returned from a trip in his '66 Ford Fairlane Country Estate (woody) wagon.   He and his wife left from their home in the Toronto area and took Rt. 66 to LA then up to BC and back home.   He thought it would be neat to take it back to the dealership in San Jose that it was originally purchased at and get an oil change.   The 20 something service manager had no idea what it was.   He asked if it was a Corvair. 

My parents had the Pontiac equivalent to the Nomad … I think it was called the Safari?  Camomile and Nimbus Grey (Pink and White). 

They shipped it to Italy when the USAF transferred my Dad to Naples and sold it to someone stationed there before returning to the states.  I'm sure it would be worth a small fortune now.  Upon return, my folks bought a Pontiac Catalina Wagon with a 389 or 396 … just a big-a$$ motor in a huge wagon.  Yellow on black.  Reverse Bat Mobile (sort of).   

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh the memories. I'm 1 of 8 kids. My parents would stuff us all in the station wagon and go for a trip down the shore, or to the Grand parents. My favorite was a early 60's Chevy wagon. I remember folding the 3rd seat down, into the all metal bed, me and 3 of my brothers would ride back there. Days of no seat belts. And yes I noticed more wagons being restored/ for sale.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 11:34 PM, WahooSteeler said:

Yup, nothing like an early 80s Family Truckster

I still think the Wagoneer header panel looks like the Family Truckster

truckster.jpg