oil fill cap

I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix an oil fill cap on the valve cover top so it doesn't shoot oil out all over the engine?? I have taken an old inner tube from a tractor and cut a lil gap so the cap would go into its slot, but still shooting oil. its a 1986 2.5l

6 minutes ago, omega_rugal said:

it`s not your oil cap, either the PCV valve is stuck, the lines are clogged or the engine is worn and blowby is pushing the oil out

thank you omega, I also have a new pvc valve but it really runs great other than the oil coming out!!

it does have 135,000 mi. lol

But did the previous owner use ether to start it? (That’s what happened to mine) There needs to be a breather hose in and a pcv out.

Come to think of it, they put two pcvs on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, charlierebel1967 said:

thank you omega, I also have a new pvc valve but it really runs great other than the oil coming out!!

Nonetheless, the oil is bring pushed out because the crankcase is being pressurized. There's always some blowby but, in a healthy engine, the PCV system can handle it and suck the oil fumes through to be burning in combustion. If you have oil blowing out the fill cap, either the PCV system isn't working (which could be a clogged line or a bad PCV valve), or the piston rings are worn and there's too much blowby for the PCV system to handle.

Can you run a compression check and post the numbers?

• 10 months later...
On 4/22/2018 at 6:53 PM, Eagle said:

Nonetheless, the oil is bring pushed out because the crankcase is being pressurized. There's always some blowby but, in a healthy engine, the PCV system can handle it and suck the oil fumes through to be burning in combustion. If you have oil blowing out the fill cap, either the PCV system isn't working (which could be a clogged line or a bad PCV valve), or the piston rings are worn and there's too much blowby for the PCV system to handle.

Can you run a compression check and post the numbers?

Sorry guy's, I haven't been on here in awhile, bizzy @ work truckin the products, so I haven't been able to do a compression check yet, I just got done putting a new power steering pump on & thank the good Lord, no leaks. I am going to try running a high performance catch can system, as I do not believe my piston rings are too short as it doesn't smoke @ all. I love this lil truck & want to keep it as long as I can....

16 minutes ago, charlierebel1967 said:

Sorry guy's, I haven't been on here in awhile, bizzy @ work truckin the products, so I haven't been able to do a compression check yet, I just got done putting a new power steering pump on & thank the good Lord, no leaks. I am going to try running a high performance catch can system, as I do not believe my piston rings are too short as it doesn't smoke @ all. I love this lil truck & want to keep it as long as I can....

Blow-by does not cause the engine to smoke. 

2 hours ago, charlierebel1967 said:

I am going to try running a high performance catch can system, ....

You mean like an old coffee can? That's about as high performance as I've ever seen a catch can. All it is is a drip sump, it's not like it's under any major pressure. Don't go wasting a lot of money on some high tech solution to a low tech problem.

OIL FILLER CAP MOD

We all get tired of the oil film/leak on top of our 4.0 Jeep aluminum valve covers. Many times the biggest culprit is the loose fitting oil filler cap. Here’s a real easy fix:

1. Remove the plastic oil filler cap and wrestle the original rubber gasket from it using a small pick or screwdriver.
  2. Make a duplicate of the gasket out of an old bicycle inner tube using scissors and a knife or razor blade.
  3. Install the duplicate on the cap first, and then the original over top of it.

It will be a tight fit on the valve cover the first time, and may require some persuasion with a pair of pliers, but will get easier with time.

2 hours ago, omega_rugal said:

but then oil will spill somewhere else wouldn´t it?

Yes. If the problem is blow-by pressurizing the crankcase, the excess pressure and oily fumes WILL vent wherever they can. If you seal up the fill cap, either the valve cover gasket or the rear main seal will be the next candidate for leakage.

We're not sure it has blowby. Just that it's leaking from the oil fill cap, right? It can be pretty messy.

This could be as simple as a CCV issue, vacuum leak issue, and a crappy sealing oil cap, which is super common.

Make sure the intake manifold bolts are snug, the hoses below the throttle body on the intake manifold are in good shape, CCV tubing is in good shape and clear by spraying out with carb cleaner. 

• 3 years later...

I'm looking for a solution to my valve cover leak. 1988 Comanche 2.5l 2wd base.

The problem is the seal on the oil filler cap, I've got a new cap and I even doubled the gasket on the cap. It fits tightly on the valve cover, but it's still not creating a tight enough seal. The only thing I can think of is to replace the valve cover. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

PXL_20220209_141953189.jpg

11 hours ago, Josephangelo said:

I'm looking for a solution to my valve cover leak. 1988 Comanche 2.5l 2wd base.

The problem is the seal on the oil filler cap, I've got a new cap and I even doubled the gasket on the cap. It fits tightly on the valve cover, but it's still not creating a tight enough seal. The only thing I can think of is to replace the valve cover. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

PXL_20220209_141953189.jpg

Read the thread you just posted in. The problem isn't the gasket on the oil fill cap, the problem is engine blow-by and a PCV that isn't sucking the blowby out of the crankcase.